News Announcements -- Please Read

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Don Wittenberger
Commander

News Announcements -- Please Read

Post by Don Wittenberger » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:05 pm

I have several things to announce this afternoon.

Artificial Lures Rule. The department withdrew its support after the Enforcement Division renewed its objections at a December staff meeting. The Commission did not adopt the proposal. ED's objection is there's no practical way to enforce a rule that applies to only one fish species, because a violator only has to claim he was fishing for some other species. As I don't see a way around this problem, I don't plan to resubmit this rule.

2010 Spring Stocking. Brian Edie, WDFW warmwater manager, informed me that we have 5,205 tiger muskie fingerlings in the hatchery. The distribution of the fingerlings among the 7 tiger muskie lakes is yet to be determined.

WDFW Warmwater Manager Retires. Mr. Edie has decided to retire. Tomorrow is his last day. No replacement for the warmwater manager position has been named yet, so the position is vacant for now. Brian and his wife plan to travel, and of course, we all wish them luck and a happy retirement.

Northern Pike Moved To June IFPAG Meeting Agenda. Discussion of the Pend O'Reilles pike fishery has been postponed until the June meeting in Ellensburg so tribal fisheries managers can participate.

February 20 IFPAG Meeting. This is the annual meeting in Olympia at which the WDFW Director meets with the advisory group. I'll probably miss it because I'm currently down with a flu bug. The agenda includes WDFW's marketing plan, the new sportfishing rules adopted by the Commission, and 2010 triploid trout stocking plans.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaxExp82
Petty Officer

RE:News Announcements -- Please Read

Post by MaxExp82 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:39 pm

Northern Pike Moved To June IFPAG Meeting Agenda. Discussion of the Pend O'Reilles pike fishery has been postponed until the June meeting in Ellensburg so tribal fisheries managers can participate.

Does anyone know what this is in regards to?

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:49 pm

Someone at the fall IFPAG meeting asked WDFW to put POR pike on the winter meeting discussion agenda. The ultimate goal is to adopt sportfishing regulations to protect the quality of this fishery. WDFW wants to do a field study first, but this was delayed by budget cuts. Tribal biologists have been collecting data, and this discussion probably will consist of a progress report with feedback from WDFW staff on a possible timetable. Everyone seems to be thinking in terms of a slot limit, but the question of when is up in the air.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dex
Lieutenant

Post by Dex » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:29 pm

Again....... Great INfo

THanks Don!!!!!!!
President
Chapter 57, Muskies Inc.
NW TIGER PAC

http://www.nwtigermuskies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;