Tiger Muskies at night??

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Gary N
Angler

Tiger Muskies at night??

Post by Gary N » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:50 pm

Does anyone out there know if tiger muskies bite at night? I would appreciate your input.

tmusky1
Lieutenant

RE:Tiger Muskies at night??

Post by tmusky1 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:54 pm

I see no reason why they wouldn't. Just make sure you've got everything (pliers, net, wire cutters) exactly where you can get to it quickly and safely by keeping the boat organized. If you are new to musky fishing, I would recommend trying it in the daylight first because it can get pretty chaotic when one decides to play. Just my .02

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:14 pm

I've heard they don't bite at night. I began experimenting with night fishing many years ago, and have yet to catch one after dark. However, I've heard Curlew has a night bite, although I haven't been able to verify that information. Tiger muskies are primarily sight feeders, so I think they would be less likely to feed at night because it's harder to see the prey.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:21 pm

I would say a large very noisy topwater would do very well at night. probably buzzbaits poppers or big heddon crazy crawlers and jitterbugs. I know bass hit well after dark as well as other fish species so I dont know why tiger muskies wouldnt.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:19 pm

They fish em at night back east.

muskie guy
Petty Officer

Post by muskie guy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:39 pm

Newman has a night bite, but like Curlew, you need to know where the tigers are at when you go out. Go fish the spots where you've seen them during the day only shallower. Summer is the best bet on nights with little or no moon. I know that sounds like its wrong because you'd think they could see the bait and all, but it has proven itself to me on multiple occasions. Be on the best spot when the moon is rising, that 1/2 hour before it comes up is the ticket. Big, slow baits too. Stupid bass (sorry bass guys) also hit like crazy on good nights. As soon as the moon is up, it's all done though. That's been my trips anyway, you might have different luck. Bring a really good light, wear your life jacket and go really slow between your spots, safety first.
Shhh...my Common Sense is tingling.
Deadpool

Travisah
Petty Officer

Post by Travisah » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:37 pm

My advice would be to focus on the different events that take place during a 24 hours period... Sun rise, Sun set - Moon Rise, Moon set. Muskies tend to be most active at these times. Also changes in the weather or barometric pressure will trigger activity as well. The vast majority of the lures used put off plenty of vibration and will attract fish regaurdless of visability. I have caght them at night (which is pretty intense in the total darkness), mid day, pre dawn, twilight, cloudy days, sunny, etc... however I see the most activity during the Sun and Moon events.

I have a guide friend and during the summer time he is on the water every day from 3am till 10am... then off the water till 5-6pm... back on till midnight. http://www.kevincochranguide.com/ Check out his "recent catches" link lots of low light photos!

Kind of tough to fish at night here with Tapps being on lock down after 8pm!
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:40 pm

RaMcVey wrote:They fish em at night back east.
That's true, but you're talking about true muskies. Tiger muskies are a different critter. Also, the midwestern night bite (for true muskies) is due to heavy boating traffic and fishing pressure. The fish in those lakes changed their behavior in response to those factors. It doesn't necessarily extrapolate to Washington's tiger muskies.

Travisah
Petty Officer

Post by Travisah » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:35 pm

Don I am going to disagree on your boat traffic theroy. This may be true for a lake like Minnetonka (plenty of fish caught during the day on that lake though) however it does not fit for the lakes up north with strong night bites and minnimal boat traffic/fishing pressure. Also lots of lakes in the MN metro are producing low light/night bite tigers...

Applying the boat traffic theory and it's effect on the bite out on Tapps could be interesting!

If you launch before the ramps close are you able to fish throughout the night?
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misselley
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Misselley » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:36 am

I would not suggest trying to leave your truck and boat traier in the park all night. I may be wrong but I have heard if it is there after the gate closes it will be towed.
Ellen McVey

Field Designs, Sponsor
www.FieldCustomDesigns.com
Cascade Musky Association.