Tiger musky fertility..

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Tiger musky fertility..

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:28 pm

kevinb wrote:Might want to start another thread regarding tiger reproduction?
Oh wait,nevermind because tigers are 100% sterile!!!!

I think to much. But this is an interesting question, (and no need to clog Deadeyemark's thread).

ProAngler'sDaughter wrote::nemo: I don't believe that being sterile necessarily precludes "one" from not producing eggs (or sperm, as the case may be.) Isn't it true that Tigers can produce eggs, but they just won't be viable? Maybe I'm wrong on this...

Also, as someone said earlier, there are likely anglers out there that are not educated about Tigers and are searching for Roe, not realizing that the Tigers are, in fact, sterile.

Either way, they need to leave them Muskies alone!!!

PAD :fish:

P.S. The muskie and the pike procreate, to make Tigers. Tigers don't breed.
apparently "sterile" also means "infertile". and it seems ALL male tigers are infertile, while MOST females are infertile. what does infertile mean in regards to fish?? I'm no biologist (ok, maybe i am, but not a fish biologist), but the only definition of fertility i can find is "able to produce offspring" (paraphrased). So, that only clouds the waters. if 95% of female tigers are infertile (able to produce eggs but no offspring), does that mean 5% of female tigers COULD reproduce? (say with a pure strain musky or another pike). This is all so confusing. We need a know-it-all here....DO FEMALE TIGERS PRODUCE EGGS?? (i trust you PAD, but you seem a little hesitant) Where are the WDFW fish biologist when you need them.....:-"
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Tiger musky fertility..

Post by kevinb » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:43 pm

I've tried to drive down this road,its freak'n crazy...theirs crackheads,hookers and everything else bad.
This is the question that will make the police find you dead in your bathroom. Brain bleed,you'll wake up in the middle of the night with this question burning in your skull,so you run to the bathroom because of the nausea and they find you dead:-$

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:49 pm

kevinb wrote:I've tried to drive down this road,its freak'n crazy...theirs crackheads,hookers and everything else bad.
This is the question that will make the police find you dead in your bathroom. Brain bleed,you'll wake up in the middle of the night with this question burning in your skull,so you run to the bathroom because of the nausea and they find you dead:-$

oh....that sounds terrible...so just like any other day for me!!! :shaking2:

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:49 pm

Females can produce eggs and males can produce sperm. Because they have an odd number of chromosomes paired together (triploid = 3) they cannot produce viable offspring. They could in theory attempt to spawn but the eggs would just die and nothing would happen. The odds of the chromosomes splitting in the exact right way with both the female and the male if they actually attempted to spawn are so slim the number is not important. Once you hit so many zeros the number becomes incomprehendible by most human minds and in english = Aint gonna happen.

I am definately no expert in this topic but we did cover this in my genetics class and when he said fish I listened :nemo:

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:53 pm

Gone Fishin wrote:Females can produce eggs and males can produce sperm. Because they have an odd number of chromosomes paired together (triploid = 3) they cannot produce viable offspring. They could in theory attempt to spawn but the eggs would just die and nothing would happen. The odds of the chromosomes splitting in the exact right way with both the female and the male if they actually attempted to spawn are so slim the number is not important. Once you hit so many zeros the number becomes incomprehendible by most human minds and in english = Aint gonna happen.

I am definately no expert in this topic but we did cover this in my genetics class and when he said fish I listened :nemo:
This makes sense,....but I like my theory better:clown:
haha,now show off those pike pics

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:57 pm

alright, since you and PAD say the same thing, i trust you Gone Fishin. Man, if my teachers just would have said "FISH" more often i'd be smarter than einstien!! Just to make you both jealous, I'm leaving in the morning and i'll be fishing CdA by 2pm tomorrow.... :cheers: (hopefully my first pike this side of the mississippi)

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:01 pm

I'm not too jealous I got some pike action on Sunday with Lucius. I think I might have to hit the river again when I get back from my little venture here on the west side. I can just see all those pike jumping in my boat! Now Kevin is getting jealous....

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:33 pm

where abouts on the west side?? and what do you have lined up?? (as far as fishing)

ProAngler'sDaughter
Petty Officer

Post by ProAngler'sDaughter » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:55 pm

:nemo: I'm glad you didn't just take my word for it. I wasn't always listening in school either...

What I think I remember hearing is that infertile means incapable of producing offspring :ncool:, but not necessarily the eggs. As with human females, most produce eggs, but some cannot produce offspring. I think the word infertility can be confusing. I would also suspect that a very small percentage of females might actually be capable of procreating. :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: I could be wrong, but the stats that I've read about breeding fish that typically cause an infertile result, suggest that there are some that are, in fact, fertile. But then again, what do I know.

Frankly, however, I'm in favor of keeping the confusion alive, just for the pure joy of the visual of kevinb running crazy towards the bathroom! ](*,) Too funny!!

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:07 pm

I'm getting a nose bleed now8-[

ProAngler'sDaughter
Petty Officer

Post by ProAngler'sDaughter » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:10 pm

ROFLMAO (Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!)

muskyhunter28
Petty Officer

Post by muskyhunter28 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:49 am

Yes the Female Musky has eggs!!!
I have seen it.
When my Friend Norman bought his new boat, My Father and I went out on it with him.
My old man my caught a 42 when He held it up for the pic, EGGS went everywhere all over Normans new boat!!!
It was nasty! and funny!!!!
Then being the cruel BASTARDS we are! We let the fish go!!!

It was Evil. CPR!
~ Captain Don Hempler Tour Guides ~

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:17 am

Alot of theories but nothing concrete.Where are these Tiger Muskies bred? In Wa State? Or some lab somewhere? I can see why you all C&R the fish here.It would be like eating a test tube steer.Sorry but it seems like such a waste to raise a fish for the fight only.Is this what the new age of fishing is about.Im glad I'm older and can still enjoy the fight of a silver dollar steelie,or a wild salmon.This kind of fishing sounds like fishing for chums.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:24 am

The muskie was and is planted to keep pikeminnows from destroying salmon spawning grounds(landlocked). The muskie has done very well with creating better fisheries(putting the out of control pikeminnows in check)Now we are seeing healthy bass fisheries as well.
And the trout are more abundant and of larger quality.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:35 am

racfish wrote:Sorry but it seems like such a waste to raise a fish for the fight only.
Raising predatory fish that cant breed, such as a Tiger Musky, WDFW keep control over what is happening. Pike fight too but then there is no control of the population if they breed themselvs.

muskyhunter28
Petty Officer

Post by muskyhunter28 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:58 am

racfish wrote:Alot of theories but nothing concrete.Where are these Tiger Muskies bred? In Wa State? Or some lab somewhere? I can see why you all C&R the fish here.It would be like eating a test tube steer.Sorry but it seems like such a waste to raise a fish for the fight only.Is this what the new age of fishing is about.Im glad I'm older and can still enjoy the fight of a silver dollar steelie,or a wild salmon.This kind of fishing sounds like fishing for chums.

I have respect for my elders an all.

But Your kids should put you in a home!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Captain Don Hempler Tour Guides ~

ProAngler'sDaughter
Petty Officer

Post by ProAngler'sDaughter » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:23 am

racfish wrote:
Alot of theories but nothing concrete.Where are these Tiger Muskies bred? In Wa State? Or some lab somewhere? I can see why you all C&R the fish here.It would be like eating a test tube steer.Sorry but it seems like such a waste to raise a fish for the fight only.Is this what the new age of fishing is about.Im glad I'm older and can still enjoy the fight of a silver dollar steelie,or a wild salmon.This kind of fishing sounds like fishing for chums.

Them's fighin' words...#-o
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:53 am

"it seems like such a waste to raise a fish for the fight only"

Hey? What are you talking about??! Do you realize this negates the entire concept of sport fishing? If the only value of fishing is food-gathering, the entire fishing tackle industry is superfluous, because it's more efficient to harvest 'em with gillnets.

"The muskie was and is planted to keep pikeminnows from destroying salmon spawning grounds."

Hey? What are you talking about??! WDFW doesn't put tiger muskies in salmon waters!! Furthermore, if one escapes and gets into salmon waters, that's Big News. Remember the 30-incher someone caught from the Willamette River in downtown Portland a few years ago? It was all over the TV news down there. The media think even one tiger muskie in salmon waters is an ecological disaster of epic proportions because OMIGOD THEY'LL EAT ALL THE SALMON!!!!!!!!! That's right, even one dinkin' little tiger muskie could, singlehandedly and overnight, wipe out the entire Pacific Ocean salmon runs!!!!!!!! That's why WDFW can't put even ONE tiger muskie in salmon waters. The actual facts of tiger muskie diet and non-reproduction have nothing to do with it; the relevant consideration is that this would create a media sensation and a political firestorm, and remember, the two things goverment bureaucrats fear the most are (a) bad publicity and (b) legislators. Remember Corollary 28(c)(iii) of Murphy's Law: "Nobody's life, liberty, property, or budget is safe when the Legislature is in session!" Nope, WDFW will NEVER put tiger muskies in salmon waters. They plant them only in non-salmon waters, where they prey on pikeminnow to keep them from wiping out our other esteemed non-native species. Oh, we have pikeminnow in our salmon waters, too, but the accepted method of dealing with them there is paying anglers 5 bucks apiece (with ratepayer or taxpayer money) to catch them. This has little or no effect on the pikeminnow population in our salmon waters, but it sure beats having to make a living at a real job. God forbid that tiger muskies should ever be planted in the Columbia River to keep pikeminnow from eating salmon smolt, even though it would be vastly cheaper and probably much more effective than the much-cherished bounty program.

"Where are these Tiger Muskies bred? In Wa State? Or some lab somewhere?"

This ground has been much plowed in previous threads in this forum, so I'll only summarize here. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources supplies certified disease-free tiger muskie eggs to WDFW, which are hatched and raised by WDFW in its own hatcheries.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProAngler'sDaughter
Petty Officer

Post by ProAngler'sDaughter » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:09 pm

Go Don Go!!!! :cheers: Superbly put!!!!

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:32 pm

WDFW doesn't stock tigers in salmon waters? Mayfield has chinooks.
I could be wrong but I thought this was the original reason for the first stocking effort.
I'm well aware that tigers are not planted in streams but they are in lakes.Lakes that have resident kokanee.

I may be using the term salmon to loosley.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.