Why isnt anyone musky fishin?

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
muskyhunter
Captain

Why isnt anyone musky fishin?

Post by muskyhunter » Sun May 20, 2012 11:46 am

Not coming in here to be a party pooper, but wondering why no one is musky fishing? There are 2 musky clubs. Probably what 200 folks between the 2 and no one is fishing? Kevin and I had Mayfield all to ourselves yesterday. Good for us I reckon we put 8 muskies in the frabill yesterday and NO ONE else was out here. Whats up with this? For those of you who have forgotten what a musky looks like heres a pic. Now get out there and fish...
Attachments
0519021338.jpg
0519021338.jpg (148.27 KiB) Viewed 3680 times

dougw
Commander

Re: Why isnt anyone musky fishin?

Post by dougw » Mon May 21, 2012 6:22 am

Been fishing a lot, which is why I haven't been posting! LOL Seeing a lot of fish, just haven't hooked up much yet. This past weekend they have finally really started moving. Prior to that our water was too cold yet. Surface temps are just getting to 64. Here that means you go down 3' and the temp is still likely in the high 40's. I'll have to check that. I have a good thermometer on a line to check it with.

dblood1974
Petty Officer

Post by dblood1974 » Mon May 21, 2012 6:56 am

Todd, I appreciate the encouragement to get out more, but It is far more gratifying to live vicariously through those that actually know how to catch them. :)

Been out a couple times out here in Idaho at Hauser, but no luck. May actually try to get out today, but not sure if the lil 14' aluminum with 5hp motor is fast enough to dodge lightning bolts, lol.

Congrats on a great day for you guys....that is sweet.

dblood1974
Petty Officer

Post by dblood1974 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:48 pm

Well...made it out to Hauser for a couple hours. No tigers in the boat, but some stupid bass did hit my 9" Shallow Invader so ended up with a decent bass, lol. Didn't mess with measuring the girth, but a quick measurement on the board before getting her back in the water said 17.5".

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon May 21, 2012 9:13 pm

too busy with them salmon and trout types of fishies

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue May 22, 2012 12:45 pm

Do any of our rivers hold Muskies like on the East Coast?

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue May 22, 2012 1:15 pm

racfish wrote:Do any of our rivers hold Muskies like on the East Coast?
I think they're talking the tiger muskies Rac....... I've read some but never targeted them......... Great pictures on the tiger musky reports/forums. I don't recall them ever discussing them in the rivers here. The tiger is sterile, pike/musky cross????........ state plants...
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue May 22, 2012 1:28 pm

I have a good friend who fishes the St Lawrence River Which is similar it looks to the big C. Hes always out going for Carp,Pike And I thought Tiger Musky. So youre probably correct. He runs an east coast fishing blog called FreshWater Phil. Hes a East coast Guide.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue May 22, 2012 3:51 pm

racfish wrote:Do any of our rivers hold Muskies like on the East Coast?
Hey rac,its been to long since we've chatted.
None of our rivers have tigers like they do with muskies on the east coast and some southern states.
I wouldn't doubt that their might be a musky or two roaming the Cowlitz,that is assuming that it would survive
the fall over the Mayfield Dam but certainly not an established fishery. I know many of us out on the water have heard rumors about it....but who knows.

Thanks MH,I will attempt to add some pics later,currently hanging out with the little one and typing one handed

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Tue May 22, 2012 6:07 pm

Hey Racfish,
The St. Lawrence is similar to the big C? You mean the Cowlitz ? And no none of the rivers have been stocked or did they ever have muskies in them. BUT a few tigers have been able to trickle over the dam and into the Cowlitz below Mayfield Lake. I have caught a couple of muskies at Mayfield that had red or an orange tag on their back end. I talked to a bio at the WDFW he told me those tags were for a couple fish that got down into a catch pool down below the dam. Tagged and then returned back up into Mayfield Lake. I also heard a few years back a fisherman did catch one or two in the Cowlitz. But don't freak out. They are sterile.So they will not reproduce. Nor will they eat all of the salmon or steelies. So if you happen to catch one don't kill it. Which would be illegal. Just get a warden and they can take the fish and return it to where it came from..okay. That blog is Freshwater Phil eh? I will check it out. Planning on fishing the Wisconsin River and Green Bay/ Fox River for some piggy muskies in exactly 12 days..yea!

mrem27
Angler

Post by mrem27 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:38 pm

If someone wants to let me know when they are going and has an extra spot in the boat I would love to try out my new St. Croix Musky Mojo on a nice Mayfield Tiger. Used to catch them while bass fishing on hauser in Idaho... they would tear up my 6 inch senkos and my ultralight gear. Just hit me up at mrem27@yahoo.com or on here. I am in Vancouver and I am trying to find fishing other than salmon and steelies cause I hate not catching fish.

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:16 pm

So...did you get out? I'm hitting Mayfield tomorrow..

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:36 pm

I haven't been out because I couldn't drive. Three eye surgeries later, I can see again. Maybe sometime this summer.

mrem27
Angler

Post by mrem27 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:19 am

Thank you muskyhunter I hope you had a good day out there... I was travelling for work and could not get out at all.