Silver Lake Tigers

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
raffensg64
Commander

Silver Lake Tigers

Post by raffensg64 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:27 pm

Gents, I'm not a musky fisherman, but have had the unique pleasure of seeing two of these fish caught through the ice on Silver this year. One was relatively easy to land (5 minutes) on a full size rod and 10# test, while the other one required over 25 minutes due to a 30" ultralight jigging rod with 4# test!!! The latter was my buddy's fish and I got the assist, donning leather gloves to "jaw" the beast and ice him. Turning a head that size up through an 8" hole is no easy feat! That lower jaw is something else, and would give Bill Cowher a complex! These fish measured 41" and 39" respectively.

Both fish had a markedly crooked back, like a pointed hump, about halfway down their lengths. I've sometimes seen deformed rainbows in this same condition. My question is, is this normal for tiger muskies? Maybe a "side effect" of their hybrid beginnings?

sparky1doug
Lieutenant

RE:Silver Lake Tigers

Post by sparky1doug » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:00 pm

There are several causes for crooked back fish. Diet can be one, improper release, hatchery handling of the young fish. It revolves around dislocation of the bones and the healing of the problem. Many never heal and die as a result. If a fish is held by the tail and they trash alot it can pull the joints apart which may not fall back into place thus crooked back. There are more technical terms for the process but thats the just of it.
"Forever Fishing Washington State" my fish friendly blog on Google.
http://foreverfishing-sparky1doug.blogspot.com/

dougw
Commander

Post by dougw » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:56 pm

Guess that answers my questions earlier this year as to whether you could be successful catching tigers through the ice!
President
Chapter 60, Muskies Inc.
Mountain Muskies
http://www.mountainmuskies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:05 pm

I think its more of a luck thing lol otherwise you'd here of more people catching them. Wonder what the fish were caught on as far as lures.
YJ Guide Service 509-999-0717

Official WashingtonLakes.com Guide Sponsor
YJ Guide Service Guide/Owner
Jerry's Lure Design Field Staff

We fish for Sturgeon, Chinook Salmon, Walleye, Burbot, Tiger Muskie, Rainbow Trout, Channel Cats and Largemouth Bass

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:19 pm

dougw, I've seen one hook-up a day for the last three days. For the 3 weeks prior to that, absolutely nothing except for perch. It started a few days ago with tigers slowly buzzing the holes, just under the ice, as we landed perch. That night I hooked one at 5:00 and remembered thinking "I'm gonna be here all night"......24" UL jigging rods and 4 lb. test are not the best weapons for these guys. Thankfully he threw the hook after a few minutes. The next day a guy got a 41" on a full size rod with 12 lb test and 10 lb. leader. This one was landed in only 5 minutes. Then Motor1's 39" tiger today.

We are getting these fish on our perch rigs. We use small Kastmasters and Swedish Pimples tipped with maggots or perch eyes. Two fish on silver and Motor's on a perch colored Kastmaster. 2 of the 3 hook-ups were from suspended fish that took while our lures were dropping. Easy to see......when your line suddenly stops feeding at 15-20' into a hole that's 40', something's up. Seems as though they grab anything that flutters near them. I did set up a heavy action jigging rod/reel with 10 lb. test and perch colored spoon. Am going to try and target these guys after what I've seen these past few days. I've fished Silver a lot this winter and am only just recently seeing lots of tiger activity. First 20 trips, nothing. Last 3 trips, tigers every day. Maybe just a coincidence, but only time will tell.

My buddy laughingly says the "hunchbacks" are just like the local heron. The heron patiently waits to be thrown a few fish. Likewise, these "jacked up" muskies hang around waiting for released, struggling dink perch that we throw back. He could very well be right! We've seen them right at our holes on a few occasions!

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:26 pm

Where on Silver Lake?

Mark K
Lieutenant

Post by Mark K » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:54 pm

Guess it's time to hit Silver eh Doug! Lol. Good to hear your having success. I still can't wait until the Ice is off though!

sparky1doug
Lieutenant

Post by sparky1doug » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:54 am

Sounds like a lot of fun and a great way to cure the cabin fever. So I'm guessing top water baits are completly out but the casting would sure be easy.
"Forever Fishing Washington State" my fish friendly blog on Google.
http://foreverfishing-sparky1doug.blogspot.com/

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:11 am

Are you guys keeping the Tigers?
YJ Guide Service 509-999-0717

Official WashingtonLakes.com Guide Sponsor
YJ Guide Service Guide/Owner
Jerry's Lure Design Field Staff

We fish for Sturgeon, Chinook Salmon, Walleye, Burbot, Tiger Muskie, Rainbow Trout, Channel Cats and Largemouth Bass

Bill G
Petty Officer

Post by Bill G » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:02 am

They posted over in the fishing reports about them and said they were released. They know about the size limit.
I'm not in the toilet yet, but I'm definitely standing on the rim.

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:04 am

Yankin Jaw Guide Service wrote:Are you guys keeping the Tigers?
Raffen's reports say C&R; They know the 50" rule for retaining tigers (although it's not quite fair if your fish has scoliosis).

KUP
Commander

Post by KUP » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:36 pm

raffensg64, nicely done! Thanks for returning them to the lake, too. Some biologists believe that hump can come from dropping them in the boat, or worse, on their backs on the edge of the boat.
Even though most muskie anglers do their best to handle them properly, a fish that size has a lot of muscle mass and when she goes to struggling to get free, it can be a handful.
BTW, great horizontal hold, too.

Wish you could post that picture from the Ice Fishing Forum on here, too.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger Muskies are sterile.
You can't keep them under 50 inches:
Let them do their job: Eating N.P.Minnows