F & W Commission Approves 50

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:F & W Commission Approves 50" Minimum Size

Post by kevinb » Sun May 18, 2008 7:10 pm

I'm sure 90% of the WL community is strongly aware of the new rule.
However,I've been running into many individuals on and off the water that are unaware of the 50 inch rule. So hears a little reminder again.....and I'll probably be clicking on this thread for awhile as a friendly reminder.
For those of you following the new law. THANK YOU and please spread the word:salut:

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:11 pm

Would be nice if the WFW would put big signs at the public launches of our Tiger Musky waters.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:00 am

tollefs wrote:Would be nice if the WFW would put big signs at the public launches of our Tiger Musky waters.
The TigerPac have been working on that this last year and there should be a sign at most if not all of our local muskie lakes.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:00 am

I'm glad to see this thread getting some attention...I still run into folks that are unaware of the rule.

As for the signs...they should all be in place,but bigger and metal would be nice. The plastic ones will work but
imagine that after awhile they will become faded. Metal costs quite a bit more too.
Keep spreading the word of the rule!

austin
Angler

Post by austin » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:12 am

:nemo: I'm all about CPR Catch photo release. The 50" is good for me as I want to catch him next year again when he is bigger and more fun yet!So take a tape with you and a camera and you still can have a mount made. :nemo:
THE A-MAN

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:42 am

Think we need to bump this up again. Some folks are still unaware.

MaxExp82
Petty Officer

Post by MaxExp82 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:17 pm

Hello, I just read this thread and I have to give my comments.

I always read the regs, So i was aware of the 50" min size when I started to fish Newman lake. I have caught 2 Muskies so far 28 and 36 , both released. But sadly, as already mention in this thread people are still unaware of this rule. Ive seen people look at Roscoe and I like we are crazy when we tell them the Min. size is 50" , and we have heard people say they would keep them if caught regardless of size.

We need WDFW to post massive signs on the muskie lakes about this, there may be one at newman lake , but it never jumped out at me and screamed READ ME, so i haven't noticed one if there is.

I dont see anything wrong with the 50" size limit, I know there was some debate in this thread that 50 was to big. But i also do know , that if I catch a 50" Muskie , it is going on the wall. Period. I hope enough are being released to get into the 50" range not only for sport, but for the trophy room. I personally would only take 1 fish that big out of the lake , after you have a trophy mount whats the point of having another?

Happy muskie fishing everyone.

KUP
Commander

Post by KUP » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:18 am

Hey Max; sorry to hear about some of the attitudes on Newman. I know one of the other Musky clubs has worked with WDFW to get and maintain the signs - I hope they are not disappearing as fast as they put them up. It is the best chance at educating anglers. But, as you say, some people are a lost cause.
You won't get any argument here if you want to keep a legal fish. Personally , I think it is up to the angler.
And Muskies, Inc. has a set policy that I think, is very respectful:

"While it is Muskies’s Inc. policy to encourage the careful release of healthy Muskies, that are not personal trophies to the angler, it is not our policy to intimidate or pressure any angler or group of anglers into releasing Muskies. We lead by example."

That being said, there is another option for a mount: the fiberglass kind. Lasts better and looks better, IMO.
Two of the best, for muskies, anyway:
LAX Reproductions: http://www.laxreproduction.com
Fittante Taxidermy: http://www.fittantereplicas.com

You send them the length and width & picture and they do the rest. Some of our Chapter members have them and they appreciate the longevity of the product.

But if you prefer the skin mount, I am sure that would be just as special for you.
Either way, Max, when you land that BIG one, send us a picture!!!
Tiger Muskies are sterile.
You can't keep them under 50 inches:
Let them do their job: Eating N.P.Minnows