education

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
phil cogley
Petty Officer

education

Post by phil cogley » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:05 am

I talked with a guy who works with me, who was so happy he caught a 14lb pike out of Silver lake. He showed me a picture of the nice 39 inch TIGER MUSKY. He swore it was a pike, because it looks like the ones he catches in Killarney lake. I tried not to get too mad with him, but he kept insisting it was a pike and it looks just like the rest of the pike he has been catching and eating out of Silver. We need to do a better job about informing people of the difference. The difference may seem night and day to us, but to others it is not so easy to tell the difference. KNOW YOUR FISH. Hope everyone can help with this issue. FEAR NO FISH!!!!

Dex
Lieutenant

RE:education

Post by Dex » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:11 am

Very Good Point Phil,

Even though I hate to hear stories like the one you just told it goes to show that we have a long way to go. I have never been to Sliver so I have no idea if there are signs about Musky posted. If there is not I'm sure that the two musky clubs (Chap 57 / CMA) will work together to get some out there. I'm sure somebody who has been there lately will update us here soon.

THanks for the Info.
President
Chapter 57, Muskies Inc.
NW TIGER PAC

http://www.nwtigermuskies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:28 am

Yes Sir, There were 3 signs at the Silver Lake public launch on the 30th.

Rich

KUP
Commander

Post by KUP » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:45 am

Hi Phil
Good to see you back on here. Check out the Card below.
Muskies, Inc. International makes these available for free to any Chapter in the U.S.
It is part of the way they support us, besides the MUSKIE Magazine, the matching Grants to the WDFW, etc.
If you would like, I can send some your way. They are laminated so they could be put up at lakes or at sporting goods stores. Your call.
As always, let me know if I can help?
KUP
Attachments

[The extension doc has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger Muskies are sterile.
You can't keep them under 50 inches:
Let them do their job: Eating N.P.Minnows

phil cogley
Petty Officer

Post by phil cogley » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:42 am

Kup, That would be great if you could send me a few. I dont get there as often as Gone Fishing does so maybe you could send him some to. pcogley@cawh.org and gonefishinlures@live.com contact us and we will give you our address.

KUP
Commander

Post by KUP » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:32 am

Glad to help, Phil, They are pretty durable so they should last a while, barring theft.
You guys on the eastside are the only ones with the pike in such close waters; so it would be good info for both anglers.
Cabela's sponsored the program, I give them and Gander Mt. kudos for getting the word out and helping to promote the Muskies, Inc. idea. Its all good and they are on the way to you.
Thanks Phil!
This is good muskie karma for you... :cheers:

KUP
Commander

Post by KUP » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:11 am

Gone Fishin, what do you think? Is it all right with you if I send some of these your way?
I know you spend a lot of time out on the water, maybe you are able to pass them around, if not post them somewhere?
Let me know.
K.

muskyhunter28
Petty Officer

Post by muskyhunter28 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Everyone did notice that it was Chapter 57 of Muskies INC that offered help?
Not that other group!!!

LOL LOL LOL
I like to push buttons!
~ Captain Don Hempler Tour Guides ~

Dex
Lieutenant

Post by Dex » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:55 pm

muskyhunter28 wrote:Everyone did notice that it was Chapter 57 of Muskies INC that offered help?
Not that other group!!!

LOL LOL LOL
I like to push buttons!
At least I know who you are and your type of jokes....lol

Latter Dude
President
Chapter 57, Muskies Inc.
NW TIGER PAC

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:46 pm

I would love some! I have been at silver and had people tell me they caught pike! I had to inform one dissapointed gentleman on a dock that it was a tiger muskie and he couldn't keep it.

A major problem we have here in the Spokane area, (it might occur elsewhere I'm not sure) is that idiots go fishing. They don't flip the switch that turns their brain on and they ignore big signs around them. Im not sure if it is a special breed of people that are that ignorant to their surroundings and too helpless to read a regulation pamphlet, or if it is something they actually used their brain to learn. Either way, you can't fix their stupidity you can only hope to help. The more signs we get out there for people to see the better.

I would really like to put a sign up by the picninc pines launch and dock (with their permission of course). I know the public launch has 3 50inch signs but I'm not sure if picninc pines has anything posted. It seems a large majority of the people who catch "pike" are sitting on the dock there.

Dex
Lieutenant

Post by Dex » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:09 pm

Gone Fishin wrote:I would love some! I have been at silver and had people tell me they caught pike! I had to inform one dissapointed gentleman on a dock that it was a tiger muskie and he couldn't keep it.

A major problem we have here in the Spokane area, (it might occur elsewhere I'm not sure) is that idiots go fishing. They don't flip the switch that turns their brain on and they ignore big signs around them. Im not sure if it is a special breed of people that are that ignorant to their surroundings and too helpless to read a regulation pamphlet, or if it is something they actually used their brain to learn. Either way, you can't fix their stupidity you can only hope to help. The more signs we get out there for people to see the better.

I would really like to put a sign up by the picninc pines launch and dock (with their permission of course). I know the public launch has 3 50inch signs but I'm not sure if picninc pines has anything posted. It seems a large majority of the people who catch "pike" are sitting on the dock there.

Gone Fishing,

I'm with you brother......

Let us know what you think you need and we can send out what we can to you. I'm always in support of people trying to help out anyway they can. :cheers:

Good Job.
President
Chapter 57, Muskies Inc.
NW TIGER PAC

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:49 pm

I'll be at Silver tomorrow and I will check with picninc pines and see what they have up and if they will allow me to put something up

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:51 pm

We can probably post a thread in Muskie Fishing with this photo as a Sticky for reference on the site if you like. Comments?
Attachments
002_1.jpg
002_1.jpg (240.01 KiB) Viewed 3334 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:32 am

That sounds like a really good idea to me Marc.
Ever have a Tiger by the tail? I have!
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:00 pm

Share the knowledge, Post it :cheers:

Kenster
Lieutenant

Post by Kenster » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:58 pm

Gone Fishin wrote:It seems a large majority of the people who catch "pike" are sitting on the dock there.
Thanks Keith! Now I know where to concentrate my efforts nextime I'm at Silver!!!

Kenster
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenster
Lieutenant

Post by Kenster » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:59 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:We can probably post a thread in Muskie Fishing with this photo as a Sticky for reference on the site if you like. Comments?
I like it! Spread the knowledge!

Kenster

KUP
Commander

Post by KUP » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:04 pm

Marc: Thank you for a great suggestion. Here is a little better quality pdf. file
that might be a little clearer. It also has some important tips on how to handle the fish.

http://www.muskiesinc.org/ss/site/conte ... DPostr.pdf

Keith: The cards are 5 x 7 but I have a couple that are 11 x 16 (medium posters) that may come in handy, too.
If you PM me your address, I will send them over to you. Thank you for helping, too.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muskie guy
Petty Officer

Post by muskie guy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:29 pm

I should have posted this info some time ago, sorry. I contacted WFDW last month and made Mark (head bio guy) and Randy (tracking/diet study) aware of some situations very similar to the one Phil Cogley described. I asked them to provide aditional 50" signs to the two resorts on Silver. They promissed me it would get done. Today, 5-16, Mark is out at Silver and I am meeting up wth them while they do one of the biomass studies and we are putting up 2 signs each at Rubies and Picnic Pines. Then I'm going to Newman and will put up the signs at Newman Lake Resort and Suttons Bay, again 2 each. This weekend I'm delivering 50" signs to the State camp ground at Curlew and Fisherman's Cove.
Keith and Phil, please give me a call or email and we can all work out the details on some of the other items that have been coming up on our muskie lakes.
In addition, I submitted a rule change proposal that would remove the new "No Fishing" signage along Medical Lake/4 lakes road out on Silver lakes North shore. As many shore fishermen know, that is a very productive section of bank that is safe and easy to access by the public along a public right of way. There is no reason for it to be closed to fishermen and women.
Those little laminated cards are an excellent idea as well, good thinking.
Congrats Steve (you know who you are) for a 4 tiger muskie day on Silver last week!
Shhh...my Common Sense is tingling.
Deadpool

KUP
Commander

Post by KUP » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Gone Fishin, did you receive the package ok?