Undersize Muskies

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Deadeyemark
Commander

Undersize Muskies

Post by Deadeyemark » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:39 pm

It would seem that we as musky fishermen have our work cut out for us when it comes to educating the general fishing public about the minimum length a tiger musky has to be to be kept.
Yesterday Ski and I observed two(2)pictures of undersize muskies posted on the bragging board at the Lacey Sportsmans's Warehouse. Both pics showed the people holding the dead fish at their homes with smiles on their faces. They obviously were oblivious to the 50" length limit. These were current pictures and newly posted as Sportsmans Warehouse changes out pics on their braggin board on a regular basis.
Seeing these pics made me think that we need to target the general fishing public more instead of musky fishermen.
That was two that made the braggin board. How many others were taken home with no pic posted anywhere publicly?
Just wanted to air my feelings on this issue.
Cascade Musky Association is in the process of making new flyers advertizing the 50" minimum size for retention. I think we need to concentrate our efforts at more locations than just musky lakes. Sporting Goods stores and Fishing License vendors are good places to post flyers. I'm sure there are more likely places.
Share The Thrill,
Practice Catch & Release
Mark

Fishing, Fun & Camaraderie
http://cascademuskyassociation.com/
Dedicated to the Tiger Musky Fishery of the Pacific Northwest

Ducktail Lures
Bikini Baits
Stan Durst Custom Lure Painting
Charlie's Leaders
Northwest Sportsman Magazine

bassmasterderek
Commander

RE:Undersize Muskies

Post by bassmasterderek » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:03 pm

I am no musky guy but completely understand the importance of a size limit for that fishery and am amazed that Sportman's Warehouse would allow illegally retained fishing pictures hang from their wall! Sounds like they might need to read those regulations that they hand out everyday!
BMD

Travisah
Petty Officer

Post by Travisah » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:59 pm

This will continue to happen until there are consequences for those indivduals taking fish. Some people need to get busted so it can make the papers, internet, or news. I know this is a more "focus on the negative" approach however really... what is the incentive for non-muskie guys or indivduals whom are not passionate fisherman to NOT take these fish or to handle them appropriatly to ensure a sucessful catch and release? They would much rather have a photo opp and pitch it in the garbage!

Education is improtant but we need a dual prong approach! If you see this happen call the WDFW! Just think 5 years give or take for a trophy... how many trophy opps have been eliminated by individudals breaking the law!
T

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:00 pm

We had this issue with the Sportsman's Warehouse in Spokane Valley. I took the picture to a manager and told them it was a picture of an illegally kept fish and did not think it should be displayed on a bragging board. I was in a week later and the picture was back up! I took the picture down again and hung up a 50' minimum sign in its place. I posted a sign at the Joe's over here as well. It is a good idea because I am amazed at how many people point out the sign because they didn't know it was a 50' minimum. I would encourage those that have the access and ability to hang sign up at sporting goods stores near muskie lakes to do so. In most cases it is not that the person ignores the rule, it is that they don't know of the rule.

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:27 pm

Gone Fishin wrote:We had this issue with the Sportsman's Warehouse in Spokane Valley. I took the picture to a manager and told them it was a picture of an illegally kept fish and did not think it should be displayed on a bragging board. I was in a week later and the picture was back up! I took the picture down again and hung up a 50' minimum sign in its place. I posted a sign at the Joe's over here as well. It is a good idea because I am amazed at how many people point out the sign because they didn't know it was a 50' minimum. I would encourage those that have the access and ability to hang sign up at sporting goods stores near muskie lakes to do so. In most cases it is not that the person ignores the rule, it is that they don't know of the rule.
What I think is sad about the last 2 sentences is that people that don't know the rules of the particular species they are fishing for. For some reason I think folks use that as a excuse to ignore the rule.Or they choose to not do their homework.I also think its a cop out by ignorant people. As an example, I was reading a thread about a person that asked how many poles they could use to fish in this State. It was really surpising and shocking to see all the people who wrote and tried to justify that they could fish with more than one rod/ line. And that they could get away with it. Or until they got caught.Its the same rule thats been in place for years.
Its the same thing with the Tigers. Its in the regs. 50 " inches.I know its new. It went from 36" to 50" in a very short time.But a reg is a rule.People/fisherpersons just need to take the time and read the regs. I don't understand why people like to make things so difficult. I think that fines and taking the priviledge and their gear from them would be only other way to stop this type of behavior.
I am in a group now that promotes 100% catch and release.The key word is promote.I am not against someone keeping a trophy that is 50" as long as the fish is legal. So I guess like Deadeye said more education is what can utlimately help some that don't know or understand the rule and the reasoning behind it. So looks like we all have our work cut out for us. But we can change people's minds. One at a time if that what it takes. See ya'all on the water sometime. Cheerio!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

Ski
Petty Officer

Post by Ski » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:59 pm

Great observations and comments by all. I agree it is not just a musky fishing issue - many people fishing for bass, etc get hooked up with them and just don't know. Ignorance is not an excuse. I think we need to continue posting signs everywhere and the more organizations that can work together the better! Not just Cascade Musky Association and CH 57 of Muskies Inc. working together, but we should include bass and walleye organizations. The more the better!

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:13 am

Sad thing is, as was stated, it's not just a specific species. I've seen pics of bass that were dead that were in the slot. I've seen salmon retained when the limit is one and folks keep fishing when it clearly states when you retain...you are done. Keep fishing for trout with bait after 5 are caught, over limits, etc. As Mark said..who knows how many of whatever are taken home and not made public? I don't know if it's ignorance, people just don't care, or if the rules somehow don't apply to them. Education is paramount to sustain the fisheries, no matter what species it is. Keep at it! We all have to.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

muskyhunter28
Petty Officer

Post by muskyhunter28 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:15 pm

Everyone needs to keep an eye out! Everyone needs to program Washington state fish and games report a poacher hotline phone number into their cell phones! If you see someone take a small fish, approach them, tell them what they are doing is illeagal, if they still keep the fish or kill the fish, take a pic of their boat tags, and report them. We have to watch out for OUR little friends! Our lakes will be stocked with a lot of the little guys this summer, and they will bite at everything!!
~ Captain Don Hempler Tour Guides ~

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:49 pm

Hi Gone Fishin,
Just wondering. Since your up there near Idaho. Those pictures on the bragging board...were they maybe from a Idaho lake? Correct me if I am wrong but they (Idaho) have a 2 fish limit. None under 40 inches. For Tigers.. Is that a possiblity? Just asking. Todd
Todd Reis
Musky Team

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:58 pm

In Pierce County I think you can call the Sheriff too. To get a law officer to write a ticket. I was fishing Tanwax last year and someone at the resort told me they can write a ticket too...so there are other options. Like MH28 said put the poaching line on your cell.Boat numbers, license plate numbers,descriptions of the people. It all helps. And you are right Ski, ignorance isn't an excuse. But it was the kindest word I could come up with..see yah
Todd Reis
Musky Team

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:36 pm

Muskyhunter,
I'm not sure on the Idaho regs, I haven't fished over there (our lakes our great). If that is indeed their regs, I won't rule out the possibility that it was an Idaho fish. If it was an Idaho fish I'm still not sure it was 40". I remember thinking that maybe it was an old photo (when the regs were 36) and thinking that if it was it was still barely legal. It has been a while since I looked at the picture so I won't claim it was a certain size. I just know that it wasn't a 50" fish and it was displayed in Washington.

A big part of the problem is people who dont fish often that dont pay attention to regs and are just fishing for whatever bites. I have seen people at Silver lake fishing off the rocks ask what I had just caught. They had no idea what a Tiger Muskie was nor did they know they were in there. They asked me why I didn't keep the fish I released (30"er). More signs might fix some of these people, but sometimes, like Ron White says, you can't fix stupid. I did find it funny to watch their bare feet come out of the water very quickly after I released the muskie.

Then there are the group of people that just think they are above the law. They think they can just get away with whatever and play stupid if they get caught. I have run into this type at Silver as well. They kept about a 28-30 inch fish and told me it was 38 when I asked. I would have taken a pic of their vehicle but I was alone and they got fairly defensive pretty quick. I didn't want to start anything with them but I did let them know that the rule was 36" at the time and that their fish looked a little short.

Deadeyemark
Commander

Post by Deadeyemark » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:11 pm

I like the camera idea. I've used it many times and will again in the future. I appreciate you folks with the guts to do something about the harvest of undersize muskies. Or fish in the slot limit. Or any other type of poaching.
We create the world we live in - Have the guts to make it what it should be.
Thank You
Share The Thrill,
Practice Catch & Release
Mark

Fishing, Fun & Camaraderie
http://cascademuskyassociation.com/
Dedicated to the Tiger Musky Fishery of the Pacific Northwest

Ducktail Lures
Bikini Baits
Stan Durst Custom Lure Painting
Charlie's Leaders
Northwest Sportsman Magazine