Follows----> Strikes

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Follows----> Strikes

Post by Gone Fishin » Wed May 14, 2008 10:56 am

So I have talked to a lot of people getting follows lately and not getting fish (frustrated people I might add). I just thought I would start this topic so we could all share our secrets to getting those fish in the boat.

So I know I am not the greatest at getting fish in the boat after a follow (so I hope to learn some tricks here) but some things I have learned are:

1. I never get a second follow or a strike on the same lure.
2. I have got second and third follows by switching lures.
3. Sometimes a muskie will follow fairly lethargic and a distance from the lure (I never see them again), but sometimes a muskie will stay right with your lure (within an inch or two) even if you retrieve it quick. I have found that the second group is more likely to show up again.
4. The only thing that has got me fish after a follow is, if it is in fairly shallow water, coming back a little later with a jointed rapala and working it slow. jerk, jerk pause style.

Ok now the more experienced guys, your turn

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Follows----> Strikes

Post by kevinb » Wed May 14, 2008 11:39 am

I share in the frustration. A ton of follows...between bucktails and a few crankbaits. I try to keep positive that muskies/pike are sight feeders. So at least I'm getting their attention...but typically the end result is the same. A great story about the muskie that almost was...:-({|=

Great thread:cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 14, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

phil cogley
Petty Officer

Post by phil cogley » Wed May 14, 2008 12:17 pm

As you know I have been getting a lot of follows. I always do this time of year. I think the fish are just not yet ready to eat much. I use a big tube jig as a throw back and it works real well. The fish are able to see the lure longer so they are better able to get a good look. When the weeds are in the fish hit your lure just out of reaction and arent able to get a long look at it. Thats my take on it. Once the water warms up I dont get follows just fish. FEAR NO FISH!!!

muskyhunter28
Petty Officer

Post by muskyhunter28 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:26 pm

:batman: Alot of time when they bite, It is not out of hunger, But anger!
Try adding a MR.Twister tail to your Buck tail and Poking holes in it with a fork!
It creates more Viberation and makes the fish mad!!!
~ Captain Don Hempler Tour Guides ~

ProAngler'sDaughter
Petty Officer

Post by ProAngler'sDaughter » Wed May 14, 2008 4:36 pm

Figure 8's (or L's) are very important if you want your follows to end up in a hit. Keep your lure constant and smooth and don't stop, don't overdue your figure 8, however. Also make sure that your figure 8 is large enough for the fish to follow it; and of course we are all watching behind the bait, not at it. You MUST pay very close attention at the boat! Not watching can result in a lost fish! Fish will follow behind and often below the lure. If you have a follow make sure your movement (figure 8) is deep because this gives the fish security and they are more likely to hit than if your bait is at the surface. If you see a follow and you've pulled your bait from the water get it back in there! Even if you just drop you bait in the water and do a figure 8, that's better than standing there with a dumb look on your face! :scratch: The fish will often make a return. I tend to disagree with changing lures after a miss, but that's just me. They do like vibration and they are obviously more responsive when the water warms up. Happy Fishin' :fish:

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Wed May 14, 2008 5:57 pm

I also found that if you just drop your bucktail in the water turn around, pull your trolling motor up.. Muskies hate that !!!!! I had 4 ski's do that to me last year. Though 8's and L things do work...
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

PDXFisher
Petty Officer

Post by PDXFisher » Wed May 14, 2008 6:18 pm

Change directions on the retrieve (make a "S" trail on the way in). Put your rod tip in the water well before the bait gets to the boat, making the lure dive down toward the tip. If you have a hot follow, definitely speed it up...think baitfish trying to get away. The rule is always make the lure more erratic. On the 8, like PA'sD said, make the turns wide. They will most often hit on the outside corner. Some really tricky types try a maneuver where they pull the lure back really fast in front of the muskie's face in order to produce an immediate reaction strike. I'd be worried about a snag, myself. Always set the hook back to the corner of the mouth, of course. Usually that means setting it with a rod yank down and to one side.

I've never seen stopping a bucktail or spinnerbait and letting it sit produce a strike. You can do that with a twitch bait like a Kil'R Eel or a tube, those you can sometimes leave on the bottom, just sitting there and they'll scoop it up. Those are the typical "throwback lures", eels, tubes, Bull Dawgs. But if you got a follow on a fast bucktail, a small jointed crank like you said, or squirrely Jake, swim whizz, etc. can also work. Many people have like 5 rods rigged with those types of things to minimize time spent changing lures.

Read Pro Tactics: Muskie and Muskies on the Shield. Both fairly cheap and *very* helpful and go into good detail on the subject.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed May 14, 2008 6:48 pm

PDXFisher wrote:Change directions on the retrieve (make a "S" trail on the way in). Put your rod tip in the water well before the bait gets to the boat, making the lure dive down toward the tip. If you have a hot follow, definitely speed it up...think baitfish trying to get away. The rule is always make the lure more erratic. On the 8, like PA'sD said, make the turns wide. They will most often hit on the outside corner. Some really tricky types try a maneuver where they pull the lure back really fast in front of the muskie's face in order to produce an immediate reaction strike. I'd be worried about a snag, myself. Always set the hook back to the corner of the mouth, of course. Usually that means setting it with a rod yank down and to one side.

I've never seen stopping a bucktail or spinnerbait and letting it sit produce a strike. You can do that with a twitch bait like a Kil'R Eel or a tube, those you can sometimes leave on the bottom, just sitting there and they'll scoop it up. Those are the typical "throwback lures", eels, tubes, Bull Dawgs. But if you got a follow on a fast bucktail, a small jointed crank like you said, or squirrely Jake, swim whizz, etc. can also work. Many people have like 5 rods rigged with those types of things to minimize time spent changing lures.

Read Pro Tactics: Muskie and Muskies on the Shield. Both fairly cheap and *very* helpful and go into good detail on the subject.
Thanks again:salut:

Muskies on the Shield..is that the book by Dick Pearson?

PDXFisher
Petty Officer

Post by PDXFisher » Wed May 14, 2008 10:00 pm

kevinb wrote:Thanks again:salut:

Muskies on the Shield..is that the book by Dick Pearson?
Yessir, it is. I got it a few weeks ago and I've read it almost three times now. I need to memorize it. Somethings he talk about may or may not be relevant to out here. They're Tigers for one, two, they spent a lot of time on Oligotrophic vs Mesotrophic water. I think the Western reservoirs have much in common with the Oligotrophic, but aren't rock-bottomed. Most of the ones out here are pretty much mud bottom, right? The forage is also quite different. Still, it's the approach to the search for the fish that resonates with me. The calming down, not just picking a lure that stands out to you, but picking the right one for the stage in your search you're in, and for the conditions you're experiencing. It may seem obvious to most, but when you have so little time on the water to feel wise about it, it's easy to feel somewhat overwhelmed and lost when you're met with conditions you haven't read a formula for. In Minnesota last year, I was a one-trick-pony, just throwing Double Showgirls in 5 FOW or less and hoping for the best. None of us got anything when the sun was out. We know now to fish deeper with cranks and jerks when that happens. We know now that you don't necessarily want to fish *on* a reef, but out from it a bit, at the same depth as the reef before you get to the reef itself. And since I've forgotten more examples, I'm going to go read it some more.

See ya tomorrow night!

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu May 15, 2008 8:54 am

Good stuff. I'll have to grab that book. I read Pearsons articles in In-Fisherman and have a couple videos. He's very knowledgable. I need to add several muskie and pike books to my library. Thats a big 10-4 on the lake bottoms with the occasional downed logs and stumps. There are a few spots with rocky bottoms(not sure if thats very helpful) and the weed beds are growing:cheers:

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Thu May 15, 2008 9:27 am

On the stopping the lure thing.... I know they always say don't stop it, keep it moving etc.

1. At Newman last year my grandfather was using a large spinnerbait. He reeled it in pretty close to the boat and let it sit there (he was distracted by something on shore). Next thinghe knew his pole was bent over the side of the boat with a muskie on the hook.
2. At Silver the last time I was out there with my mom, she reeled a spinnerbait to the boat and said "look a fish is following it" I turned around to see her with her lure just sitting there. Before I could say keep your lure moving the muskie snatched it.

I am not saying that stopping the lure is more effective than a figure 8 or any other method. I still use the figure 8 most of the time but if the 8 isn't working it might be worth trying a stop and go method... who knows

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Thu May 15, 2008 1:36 pm

Plenty of times, you can't get a follower to hit. Leave that fish alone and try again later in the day, or the next day. Even if they won't bite, a follow tells you a fish is in that spot. That's key information. You then work that fish (but don't overwork it) until you either catch it or don't see it anymore. I catch a fair number of muskies by going back to spots where I previously had a follow, and I spend a significant percentage of my fishing day checking such spots. What you don't want to do is pound the spot so hard you drive the fish away. You want him to stay there.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu May 15, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProAngler'sDaughter
Petty Officer

Post by ProAngler'sDaughter » Thu May 15, 2008 5:04 pm

Very good point Don W. Don't over work the spot but always keep an eye on it once you've gotten a response. :)

Seems to me it's probably just the split second between your family members stopping their bait and the strike happening, and not so much that the bait was stopped, Gone Fishin...but there's one thing about Muskies, as much as they are predictable, they are unpredictable!

I don't necessarily concur with the speed your bait up theory. Though Muskies tend to react to vibration and action, I think it's best not to change the pace of your bait but to remain constant and steady.

Tiz almost the weekend!! :cheers: :fish:

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Fri May 16, 2008 9:32 am

The silver lake fish, the bait only stopped for a second. The Newman lake fish was probably a good 10-15 seconds. I agree that they can be very unpredictable! A little kid on a dock at Newman caught a 45 inch fish on the tiniest little crappie worm under a bobber not moving. I don't recall ever seeing crappie worms in muskie tackle? Definately an awesome unpredictable fish, but yet very predictable!

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat May 17, 2008 12:43 am

I found this article interesting. Theirs a bunch of other related articles too.

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/m ... index.html

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Mon May 19, 2008 10:38 am

Good article!

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Tue May 20, 2008 8:58 am

So on silver yesterday, still getting lots of follows. We actually had one follow my boat for about 10 minutes! So what are everybodies favorite throwback lures to get that fish that follows and then turns to head back to cover?

PDXFisher
Petty Officer

Post by PDXFisher » Tue May 20, 2008 9:37 am

Gone Fishin wrote:So on silver yesterday, still getting lots of follows. We actually had one follow my boat for about 10 minutes! So what are everybodies favorite throwback lures to get that fish that follows and then turns to head back to cover?
In the midwest, most people use plastics such as Lindy's Tiger Tubes, Red October tubes, Kil'R Eels, jigs and Bulldawgs. Eels often aren't very good hookers, though the newer ones added a hook on the tail end. I think Dunwright lifelike Pike or Perch would also be a great option, the action on those things is incredible.

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Tue May 20, 2008 4:23 pm

I continue to use the same bait that had the follow..I just change up the speed of the retreive. And even come in from a different angle. These Tigers don't really seem to care...
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

fish4brains
Warrant Officer

Post by fish4brains » Fri May 23, 2008 7:33 pm

I do not know if this will help but, when I fish for Pike and start to get alot of followers I have a second rod rigged with one of my favorite swimbaits. When the Pike follows and refuses a crank of spinner I just drop the crank rod and toss a weighted swimbait to where I last saw the Pike and let it swim its way to the bottom on a pendulum so as to feel the take, it usually never makes it to the bottom. I have missed some fish doing this to just recast and repeat to finally get a hookup. I have not fished for Musky so do not know if this will help or not. Note to self: must fish for Musky!