Northern Pike

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Don Wittenberger
Commander

Northern Pike

Post by Don Wittenberger » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:30 pm

Now here's an interesting item. It's a bit dated, but I never knew about it until a few days ago. I wish they had told me, because I would have gone over there and caught some of them.

From a WDFW press release dated July 8, 1998:

"WDFW removes northern pike to protect native fish species

"QUILCENE--Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife biologists today treated Crocker Lake in Jefferson County to kill a growing population of northern pike that could threaten the state's salmon, steelhead and other native fish species. ...

This marks the first time northern pike have been discovered in western Washington. The pike apparently were imported to Washington by unknown persons and placed in the lake several years ago contrary to state law. Non-native species cannot be brought into Washington without a permit.

"'We had to move swiftly when we found out about these pike,' said Larry Peck, WDFW's deputy director. 'We didn't want them moved to other lakes nor did we want them to leave Crocker Lake through an outlet to downstream creeks.'

"He noted that pike, which are voracious predators, already threaten coho and chum salmon which use the lake. Summer chum salmon in the watershed already are listed under the federal Endangered Species Act (ESA). The pike are reproducing in Crocker Lake. ...

"WDFW obtained the necessary Washington Department of Ecology permit for the emergency action. The Attorney General's Office indicated the action complied with the State Environmental Policy Act.

"Crocker is a 65-acre natural lake near Highway 101 approximately 10 miles north of Quilcene."

http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/newreal/release.php?id=jul0898b

Now don't get me wrong -- I'm definitely not in favor of "bucket biologists" engaging in any illegal stocking, let alone norther pike! However, northern pike, are fun to catch (especially on spinning gear) and if this ever happens again, I wouldn't mind having a crack at them before WDFW performs its duty to God and Country by killing them off. I wonder if there's some sort of "hot list" I can get on, to be notified of these emergencies? Maybe I could set up a 7-1-1 phone line, wired into my house, or something like that.

Speaking of northern pike, do any of you guys in eastern Washington fish for them in the Pend O'Reilles River? I'm wondering if there's enough pike in there to make a trip from Seattle worthwhile. Back in the 1980s, before we had tiger muskies out here, I would go to the Cour d'Alene Chain Lakes in early spring (i.e., March) to fish for pike (we called 'em "northerns" where I grew up). In those days, I fished Cave, Medicine, and Killarney lakes. The pike would come up into those lakes by way of the river from Lake Cour d'Alene and the locals would fish for them by setting up a lawn chair on the bank and soaking dead smelt under a bobber. The biggest one I ever caught was around 5 lbs. You can eat them, if you don't mind getting slime all over yourself and digging out the Y bones for which pike are infamous. But merely catching them is a heck of a lot of fun, and I'd like to do that again sometime, without having to drive all the way to Minnesota.

So, how about it -- do we have any pike fishermen out there?
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YellowBear
Captain

RE:Northern Pike

Post by YellowBear » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:45 am

My son tells me there are large numbers of Northerns up there. He and one of his buddies have both taken fish of 20 lbs. I am going to give it a shot in the spring. I am told that they are catching them from Newport down to Usk.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:23 pm

Two things I'd like to do again. Fish for pike and hunt squirrels with a .22.

muskyhunter28
Petty Officer

Post by muskyhunter28 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:01 pm

Don,
look in the photo gallery, photo #147 or around there. Is a Northern Pike cuaght in the Cowlitz.
~ Captain Don Hempler Tour Guides ~

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:35 pm

That was my first impression too, but if you read the photo description carefully, he doesn't say he caught it in the Cowlitz. He only says its strike felt like a Cowlitz steelhead! I discussed this photo with Steve Jackson of WDFW several months ago, and there's been no reported pike in the Cowlitz. I don't know the angler and haven't communicated with him, but I feel confident that fish was caught from known pike waters in Idaho or eastern Washington.

That old press release about Crocker Lake did surprise the heck out of me, though.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phil cogley
Petty Officer

Post by phil cogley » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:55 pm

Don, If you want to go pike fishing this spring give me a call and we can fish for pike in CDA and muskies on Silver lake. I fish the chain lakes all year and know them well. I have not fished PO River, but know people who do well there. Phil 509 499 9669.

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:11 pm

I'll keep you in mind, Phil. The cost of gas from Seattle to Spokane and back is a deterrent, and I also have to plan fishing trips around my meeting schedule, and I'm not sure yet what that's going to be. I would like to. I'll have more to say about this in a couple of months.

mics
Petty Officer

Post by mics » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:29 pm

if you go on wa fish and game page,look up pike mineo reward program.durring may thru sept,you can get paid for catching pike mineo.the fish and game page shows where ,how,when,what boat launches,and some of them folks do rather well.when i retire thats going to be my little cash corner.4.00 from 0-100 fish,5.oo$ from 100-400 fish after that its8.00$ afish with a bunch of tagged fish worth 500.00 apiece.some of them guys are pullin over 20,000.00 ayear fish this .durring the 07 season they even extended the season in to oct.there money to be made . mic
try to leave a place in better shape than when you got there

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:18 pm

"Pikeminnow" are squawfish, not northern pike. The Bonneville Power Administration pays people to catch squawfish out of the lower Columbia River because they eat salmon smolts. Then you pay for it in your electric rates. It's probably a waste of money. If we want to save the salmon runs, we have to stop destroying their habitat.

Dr Hook
Petty Officer

Post by Dr Hook » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:35 am

Fanatical warmwater guys just love to have their pet fish in all the lakes. Its a huge problem and a constant battle for WDFW. If musky were not sterile I can guarantee you that they too would be finding their way into and populating many lakes around the state. The fines for transporting fish should be harsh and painful, problem is that its hard to catch the jerks.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
St Croix Rods
Frabill Prostaff
Folbe Rod holders
Cannon Downriggers

KurtO
Warrant Officer

Post by KurtO » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:19 am

It is very hard. I was fishing Mann lake in eastern oregon where it is strictly fly fishing a few years back and saw three guys fishing with live bait. Reported em, they all got heavy fines. But come to find out nine months later that ODFW has to posion the lake due to the goldfish population because those idiots were using them for bait! People like them should have their fishing rights taken away for life![-x

KUP
Commander

Post by KUP » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:59 am

KurtO: Agreed! Bucket biologists hurt EVERYBODY. With all the pressure put on our waters with more and more anglers, ethical practice by ALL folks is going to be imperative.
Tiger Muskies are sterile.
You can't keep them under 50 inches:
Let them do their job: Eating N.P.Minnows

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:14 am

When ever I hear the term of (bucket biology) it always brings a question to mind.
Why are they so successful?
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:26 pm

There is nothing in Washington that I know of that can compete with the North Idaho lakes where you have a very good shot at catching double digits in both weight and numbers of pike in a full day of fishing for them.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:02 pm

Nik wrote:There is nothing in Washington that I know of that can compete with the North Idaho lakes where you have a very good shot at catching double digits in both weight and numbers of pike in a full day of fishing for them.
I have to agree with ya'. I personally don't think they'll ever establish themselves like they do in Idaho.
Any good lakes other than CD'A? I know there are several others...but not sure of what would be a good lake to go too.
It doesn't have to have monsters in it but maybe a good population and a nice quiet lake to take the family.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:21 pm

kevinb wrote:
I have to agree with ya'. I personally don't think they'll ever establish themselves like they do in Idaho.
Any good lakes other than CD'A? I know there are several others...but not sure of what would be a good lake to go too.
It doesn't have to have monsters in it but maybe a good population and a nice quiet lake to take the family.
Killarney Lake would be my suggestion. Lots of little pike up to 24 inches. Every now and then you can catch a 10-15 pounder but very seldom. Even on the weekends the crowds are minimal. If you have a boat you can take the experience is that much better. You can camp on an island in the middle of the lake and have it all to yourself.

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:39 am

Lucius, welcome to the forum. WHERE did you catch that fish in your avatar? How big was it?
Rosann
Ever have a Tiger by the tail? I have!
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:01 am

Welcome Lucius and thanks for the info,I'm headed over to CD'A in a couple weeks and will check this place out too.
Maybe have an island to myself..haha

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:01 pm

Thanks guys. My Avatar is a picture of a enormous northern pike that was caught in Italy (unfortunately it was not me I just found this picture on the internet). A lot of people believed it would have broken the world record, but I guess we will never find out because he released the fish, which hopefully was a good thing so that somebody else could catch that fish, if it doesn't die first.

phil cogley
Petty Officer

Post by phil cogley » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:36 am

kevin, I wouldn't bother with Kilarney, they just have hammer handles. It is a pretty lake, but I dont waste my time there. I would just stay on the main lake and fish the bays. Cougar bay is always good for fish. Hayden lake is anothe option. If you want to spend a hundread bucks go to Fins and Feathers tackle and hire Jeff Smith for half a day. Fear No Fish!!