Musky size limit..what do it be?

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
muskyhunter
Captain

Musky size limit..what do it be?

Post by muskyhunter » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:19 pm

Hey kids,
Particulary Don...There has been alot of talk of the size limit increased. I really have not seen what is is going to be. Is it going to be your introduced 50" or the 48" limit? Do we have a definate answer or not? If so, which one? Thanks :scratch: :santa: :shaking2:
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

Don Wittenberger
Commander

RE:Musky size limit..what do it be?

Post by Don Wittenberger » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:02 pm

The only thing the F & W Commission will vote on is my 50" proposal. WDFW withdrew their 48" recommendation and is supporting 50". The commission votes on rule changes on Feb. 8, and that's when we'll find out whether the minimum size will stay at 36" or change to 50". It will be one or the other.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deadeyemark
Commander

Post by Deadeyemark » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:54 pm

Don,
I sure hope it goes to 50". That will give us a chance to catch a real trophy that otherwise would be almost nonexistant. Got my fingers x'd.
Share The Thrill,
Practice Catch & Release
Mark

Fishing, Fun & Camaraderie
http://cascademuskyassociation.com/
Dedicated to the Tiger Musky Fishery of the Pacific Northwest

Ducktail Lures
Bikini Baits
Stan Durst Custom Lure Painting
Charlie's Leaders
Northwest Sportsman Magazine

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Howdy folks,
There is a rumor going around that there will be a meeting in Spokane to start a chapter.
Do any of you know were I might find confirmation on this?
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

KUP
Commander

Post by KUP » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:26 am

Howdy Yellowbear:
The best guy to know about that would be muskie guy.
It has always been the plan to get the west side up and running, then help the dry side start a Chapter, too.
Lots of good muskie anglers over on your side and a lot of folks that would like to know more about them.
The interest is definitely there and it will be exciting to meet up.
Koop
Tiger Muskies are sterile.
You can't keep them under 50 inches:
Let them do their job: Eating N.P.Minnows

Dr Hook
Petty Officer

Post by Dr Hook » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:55 am

Deadeyemark wrote:Don,
I sure hope it goes to 50". That will give us a chance to catch a real trophy that otherwise would be almost nonexistant. Got my fingers x'd.
Not really true. Most WA musky will die of natural causes before they every reach 50". Sorry to disappoint you but thats a fact.

As I've stated before, if the new rule is implemented it will effectively be a statewide catch and release rule and that is what it was intended to be. It's easier to get a new size limit through the system than it is a mandatory catch and release rule.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
St Croix Rods
Frabill Prostaff
Folbe Rod holders
Cannon Downriggers

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:16 am

Dr. Hook, that's not the reason the rule was written that way. I originally submitted it as catch-and-release but changed it to 50" to accomodate our members who want an opportunity to break the state record.

You can never please everyone. The 50" rule, I believe, will produce the greatest good for the greatest number -- more and bigger muskies for the average anglers to enjoy, while preserving the right to keep a record-class fish, get it weighed, and get into the record book.

Do you really want to let the public catch all of the 36" and larger tiger muskies out of Lake Tapps? They'd all be gone in a couple of years and then what would you have? The 50" rule will mean better fishing for all of us, including you.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.