CURLEW TIGER TIME!!!

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Natebg1
Lieutenant

CURLEW TIGER TIME!!!

Post by Natebg1 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:01 pm

Had a great weekend at Curlew with a few fellow Muskie Anglers and my Little Man! This trip was certainly one for the memory books! What made it even better for me was I caught a Monster Tiger on my Birthday and was able to celebrate it with my favorite fishing partner, my Son! We are starting to create a tradition together on my Birthdays. This is the 3rd BDay that the two of us have been fishing together and landed a Monster Fish! I could get use to many more BDay’s like this [thumbsup]

So while at Curlew over 2 days, 12 Tiger Muskies were landed by our group and plenty of follows were had by all, including a few Tigers that were actually lost during the fight. My Little Man also caught his very first Rainbow Trout, measuring 15 inches, this completely made his day! I personally also had the distinct pleasure of catching a 43 inch Monster Tiger with my Little Man, but I can’t take all the credit. My Son played a HUGE part and did a phenomenal job in netting her and being able to handle her like a Champ. It was as perfect as could be with catch, picture, and release! She was in the net, the hook came out on its own once she shook her head. I then was able to get her out of the net, get pictures and with plenty of energy she swam off in no time at all. She was not out of the water for more than 30 seconds top. I think I even saw her give a fin wave later just to say Thanks for being so good to her! Her girth was 20.5 and according to the measurement estimator application on my phone she was a little over 25 lbs. I can’t wait to go back in the future and hopefully either catch her again or one of her friends who might be bigger!

In all I believe the total average for size with the 12 Tigers caught was around 40 inches. Some were a little smaller and others were in the mid to upper 40 range! The 16th was much better than on the 17th but the big Fish of the trip did come on the 17th so I guess that doesn’t make this day as bad as it could have been. Also the main lake water temps on Curlew were a high of 74 at peak and 72 in the morning and in the backbays were 75 high and 73 to 72 in the mornings. What a Great Fishery, I will certainly be back again in the future to try my hand at Curlew Tigers again! Tight Lines all, can’t wait to see the other pictures from the trip!

Nate
Attachments
IMG_0389.JPG
Birthday Fishing Partners
IMG_0389.JPG (106.19 KiB) Viewed 4903 times
BDay Tiger.JPG
43 Inch Tiger Muskie Curlew caught on Friday 16 August 2013
BDay Tiger.JPG (83.43 KiB) Viewed 4903 times

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Re: CURLEW TIGER TIME!!!

Post by AJ's Dad » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:38 am

Nice job!!!
I heard you guys had a great trip with plenty of catching and not just fishing.
Did you throw any of those flys around? =D>
From what I heard, it sounds like those Curlew Lake Muskies will have a sore mouth for the tourney next weekend.

dougw
Commander

Post by dougw » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:25 am

Also put a 46"x21" in the boat Sunday morning after you left! =D>
Attachments
46x21.jpg
46"x21"
46x21.jpg (202.26 KiB) Viewed 4897 times

Natebg1
Lieutenant

Post by Natebg1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:21 pm

AJ's Dad wrote:Nice job!!!
I heard you guys had a great trip with plenty of catching and not just fishing.
Did you throw any of those flys around? =D>
From what I heard, it sounds like those Curlew Lake Muskies will have a sore mouth for the tourney next weekend.
Thanks AJ's Dad!

Yes, it was a GREAT Trip! I did actually throw my Fly's around for a while and actually had a follow from about a 40 incher within the first hour of fishing! I think at that point I had good feeling about this trip and my confidence grew very quickly. She actually nosed my Fly but wouldn't open her mouth. She was sitting up on a flat from the island so it was nice to be able to sight cast to her.

However I caught the 43 inch beast using conventional methods with my regular rod and reel, probably a good thing because she hit me right at boat side and as soon as she grabbed my lure she went straight under the boat. I was running my normal 65 lb test braid with my 110 lb test titanium leader so I was able to handle her no problem. It was still a Great Fight even though it probably wasn't even remotely fair. With the set up I use I think I could probably pull up the bottom of the lake and my hooks on my lure would break before my line or leader would.

I expect to hear even better reports from the tournament this coming weekend, because the water temps are starting to drop, water is starting to turnover, and the weed growth is absolutely perfect. If that is not a recipe for success than nothing is when it comes to getting into the Tiger Muskies! Hope to make it back over soon and hit up CDA and maybe make a pit stop or two for some Walleye as well. Tight Lines

Nate

outbreed360
Warrant Officer

Post by outbreed360 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:46 am

dougw wrote:Also put a 46"x21" in the boat Sunday morning after you left! =D>
whoa look at the tail fin on that thing

dougw
Commander

Post by dougw » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:05 pm

Pretty common for our tigers in Washington. Issues with fins/tails is something that needs to be further addressed in the state....

dougw
Commander

Post by dougw » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:36 pm

There are a lot of theories, but seeing first hand when we help plant them, a lot of tails are already deformed from the hatchery. That being said, there are a lot of people that catch tigers and they are not prepared to handle them. The net is usually too small, and a poor choice of material (i.e., thin netting). The tails especially can get split in the net if they are crammed in there. That is not their fault for not being prepared, in that most that catch them by accident are generally bass fishing. Who needs a big net for bass? But if you have the chance to catch a muskie, and want to, one should really upgrade to a higher quality net. They aren't cheap, which is why most don't take that option. Also, trying to fit one in your boat is not easy.

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:12 pm

Nice tigers guys, Congrats to all of you.

dougw
Commander

Post by dougw » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:02 pm

Essentially, since the minimum size limit is 50". If you consider they are top predators, bioacumulation should warrant an advisory on consumption. My bet is a typical family of four couldn't consume a medium sized tiger before it spoiled from freezer burn.

dougw
Commander

Post by dougw » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Never tasted one. Some friends ate one several years ago when it was legal to take smaller fish. Said there was no amount of seasoning that could make it taste good. Heard similar things from others as well.

KUP
Commander

Post by KUP » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:28 pm

Happy Birthday, Nate & Big Time congrats on a beautiful tiger!
And GOOD JOB to HG for netting her.
What a fantastic photo (first one - so many good smiles fish, too, LOL) that's a memory keeper for the wall.
Loved the second pix, too. Can't keep the fish, but those photos make it all worthwhile, eh?
Happy Days, indeed :sunny:

Natebg1
Lieutenant

Post by Natebg1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:08 pm

Hello Jani,

Thank You! It was certainly a memory that I looked forward to talking about with my Little Man and the Family for years to come. Best part was she hit me at boatside so I got to enjoy watching her open her mouth and take the lure and run with it under the boat. I love it when Musky hit boatside, that is the best rush other than top water! Look forward to many more memories over the years like this!

Nate