Muskie Lure Collection

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dblood1974
Petty Officer

Re: Muskie Lure Collection

Post by dblood1974 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:17 pm

Cool thanks!

dblood1974
Petty Officer

Post by dblood1974 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:05 pm

Given the forecast of snow and rain again tomorrow, I thought I'd entertain myself by making some lures.

I had some success last year with Shumway Funky Chicken's (Spinnerbait with saddle hackle feathers under marabou) so thought I'd make my own version in an inline spinner. My 9 yr old daughter and I had a lure making date tonight, lol. Dadson Blade Baits has one of the only ones I found so we decided to use that as our 'model'. I let her pick out all of the colors, feathers, blades, etc. The flash washed out the colors a bit as the blades and marabou are both chartreuse, not just yellow as it looks in photo. The first photo is the Dadson Blade Matrix that goes for $24-$27....the bottom one is our homemade version from tonight. It has premium mag 8's for blades and Musky Innovations plasma point 6/0 hooks. Total length is about 10-11" . Don't guess it is good enough to quit my day job, lol....but we had one heck of a fun time making it!

At any rate...for those of us on the east side of WA, get ready to call in sick on Mon/Tues and hit the water as we finally are going to have 60 degree days for 2 days [thumbup] ....and then back down to lower 50s after that. [thumbdn]

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:47 pm

Looking Good!! That should be a loud enough color combo to get em going.
Nice job

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:26 pm

Those look awesome dude. 10's eh? Like you said, they look just like the Shumways. Excellent!! Maybe you can sell them to Tackle Industries? Sell those other bucks back to them and tell them they are Double Cowgirls. HA!
What are you using for a reel to pull those girls back in ? I'm hittin Tapps tommorrow and Sunday.
Good job bro ! See Ya, Todd

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:52 pm

Nice job! I've been tinkering with bucktails for a bit but they don't look like that. Mine take on a visual effect
that looks like the cat got ahold of it. Seriously,that looks good,no doubt the tigers will chase that. Good luck out there!

dblood1974
Petty Officer

Post by dblood1974 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:54 pm

Thanks guys...it's been fun messing with them. Thought I'd post a couple more for kicks...

Here is an actual Shumway Funky Chicken Spinnerbait...

And here is my homemade one...

Here is an actual Northland Booty Call Spinnerbait...

And here is my homemade one...

I am fully aware that looking at someone else homemade lures is not nearly as exciting as the one posting them who thinks they are cool, lol...so I hope you can bear with me until the weather gets nice enough to be out fishing at night instead of spending time on here. :)

Todd, as for the reel...this is what I have now:
Quantum® EXO PT Casting Reel
Model: EX100HPT, 7:3:1 gear ratio

Good luck at Tapps the next couple of days....will look forward to seeing first Tiger pic of the year!

Cheers,
Darin

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:29 pm

Now you really have my attention. I toss more spinnerbaits than anything else. What really caught my eye on yours was the blade. The very blade your using will put off an incredible flash,noise and vibration. Although I'm sure many will disagree,I really don't think lure colors play a big factor,however,I'm a firm believer that the blade will play a much bigger role. That particular blade will put off a huge strobe effect and fish will see it from far out,even in heavily stained water.
I've caught plenty of tigers and even some big bass on large spinnerbaits. My only suggestion in case you havn't,toss on a trailer hook. I was fishing a musky tournament a few years ago and that trailer hook ended up getting me an extra $300+.
The money doesn't matter,the point is that it hooks fish....even bass.

dblood1974
Petty Officer

Post by dblood1974 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Yeh...the more I study these crazy fish, the more I buy into your blade theory as well. While I wish that my opinion was experiential, it is simply based on reading multitudes of information and trying to put 2 and 2 together. I'd be curious to hear if you have blade favorites in general or if you try to match blades to water conditions. The more I read, the more I don't think it is a coincidence that nearly every type of Bucher lure that has a blade on it, has a fluted blade. Having the combination of the large flash that will come with the large smooth part of the blade along with the fluted part of the blade that will reflect light in varied directions only seems to make sense.

As for the trailer...yeh, I won't throw a spinnerbait without a trailer. Which brings up another point that I'd be curious to hear your perspective on...with the large musky spinnerbaits I am in love with adding a Kalin's Mogambo Grub on the trailer. Do you have a preference for a trailer when you are throwing spinnerbaits?

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:18 pm

Hey db..most of the baits I have already have trailers on them. I don't make my own. But when I add one to small spinner baits its either a Gommie or Mustad for the single hooks. Trebles, I use Owner..made in Japan, Mark.
Tails Kalin's are perfect. You can also get some from Mister Twister. The Musky shop has their brand..Action I think. Up to 8" if I remember correctly.
Couple of terminal tackle places I have found is Barlow's or Jannscraft. There are plenty of those types of places to find that kinda stuff. See ya, Todd

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:31 pm

dblood, really cool that you and your daughter are lure building together. Hope you get some good weather so you can get out fishing. I have heard of at least one tiger muskie being caught over on the wet side already this year although it was small. But at least someone has caught a 2012 TM in Washington.

dblood1974
Petty Officer

Post by dblood1974 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:00 pm

Thanks Rosann...hope to get out at least for a couple hours on Monday and/or Tuesday as the weather is supposed to be really nice over here. That's great that you had heard of one tiger already being caught...hopefully the first of many for 2012!

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:41 am

Rosann,
Do you and Bill get out and fish anymore? How is the ol' Texan doing anyway ? Please tell him I said hey! Todd

dblood1974
Petty Officer

Post by dblood1974 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:21 pm

Looking forward to hearing how the Pike tourney went today!

Since making lures with the kids has been more fun than going out and getting skunked, I decided to make a lure with my 5 yr old boy today. He picked the colors and I threw it together. I think this may be my favorite yet. For context of size...that is a 2 oz. muskie spinnerbait mold and a #8 Fluted blade with a #5 Deep Cup Colorado. Kind of tough to see with the pic, but its Holographic Green Magnum Flashabou on top with a middle layer of Holographic Gold Magnum Flashabou and a copperish/orangish Fine flashabou on the bottom

Looking forward to seeing some Pike pics from the tourney and hopefully some Tiger pics from folks soon! [thumbsup]

Mark K
Lieutenant

Post by Mark K » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:39 pm

I really like the looks of that spinnerbait! And there aren't many pics to look at from the pike tourney... ](*,)

dblood1974
Petty Officer

Post by dblood1974 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:32 am

I was anticipating to waking up to photos of the pike tournament, but based on your post it sounds like it was pretty slow eh?

If nothing else, it was a beautiful day to be on the water!