Will devote 2 weeks to catch a muskie. What 2 weeks and which lake?

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Firetiger
Warrant Officer

Will devote 2 weeks to catch a muskie. What 2 weeks and which lake?

Post by Firetiger » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:23 pm

In addition to single day trips and weekend trips I decided to devote 2 weeks to muskie fishng.Should be able to develop a pattern that will catch fish. What two weeks? and which lake?

The first suggestion was to take the money I would spend in 2 weeks, fly to Wisconsin and hire a guide!

TIA

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

RE:Will devote 2 weeks to catch a muskie. What 2 weeks and which lake?

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:37 pm

Lake Tapps, or Mayfield Lake.
Both lakes have produced some MONSTER
muskies. Ive never caught them, but ive fished
at the lakes and seen them caught.
Time of the year I would say, early summer to about
august should be good.
Good Luck. :cheers:
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:54 pm

I'd go with Tapps. I've caught a dozen just from my float tube. It's close too. I'd say late spring/early summer, but that's when I've caught mine. Mine were caught while fishing for smallies as well. Others in the know will chime in. Good luck!
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:23 pm

Dont forget Newman and Silver Lakes on the Eastside. Usually best around July and August..
YJ Guide Service 509-999-0717

Official WashingtonLakes.com Guide Sponsor
YJ Guide Service Guide/Owner
Jerry's Lure Design Field Staff

We fish for Sturgeon, Chinook Salmon, Walleye, Burbot, Tiger Muskie, Rainbow Trout, Channel Cats and Largemouth Bass

sparky1doug
Lieutenant

Post by sparky1doug » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:06 pm

If you want to stay local go to Tapps, good population and good size. There is lots of information about Tapps, April, May, June. Mayfield is also very good and Merwin is well worth all the effort you want to throw at it. But a trip to Eastern Wa. gets you away from the city there's Silver, Newman and Curlew they're an adventure with great rewards. So if it were me and I had two weeks I'd hit Curlew for a week and Merwin for a week mid-June or late Sept. When in Eastern WA. look up the Chapter 60 bunch, they know thier fish.
"Forever Fishing Washington State" my fish friendly blog on Google.
http://foreverfishing-sparky1doug.blogspot.com/

dougw
Commander

Post by dougw » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:57 pm

Curlew is a favorite of many! It's at the top of my list. I've caught the most tigers in Newman, Silver a few fish. All three have plenty of fish, and good sizes. I still have yet to do reveiws on all of the lakes, but visit our website for reviews. I have reviews for Newman, and Curlew up currently. Silver will come soon. I will try to fish Evergreen this summer to make a fair review of it. Hopefully will make a few N Idaho lakes as well for some change of scenery....
President
Chapter 60, Muskies Inc.
Mountain Muskies
http://www.mountainmuskies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dex
Lieutenant

Post by Dex » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:29 pm

FireTiger,

I think I read that you live in the Redmond area, correct...

As others has already stated, Tapps and Mayfield would be the closer ones and of those 2 I'd say Mayfield. My personnel favorite would be Merwin but that can be a drive. Of course there is some good fishing on the eastside too. I think with as many people in the area that enjoy chasing Tigers I don't see a reason to spend the money on a guide. Hell, if the timing was right I'd take you out a time or two come warmer weather.

If you’re interested, there will be a Chapter 57 meeting next week Thursday, (20 Jan) in Federal Way. They are open to anyone that would like to come out and talk Muskie. No pressure, just a great way to pick up some "tips" and share some stories as we prepare for the upcoming year.

Feel free to contact me if you'd like more info.

Good luck
ND
President
Chapter 57, Muskies Inc.
NW TIGER PAC

http://www.nwtigermuskies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bad esox
Lieutenant

Post by bad esox » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:01 am

Hey FireTiger,

Heck, if you have two weeks to spend in this beautiful State why not take some time to travel a little and see a few of our 7 great Tiger lakes? Each one is a little unique in its' own way... just a thought.

In my humble opinion, for beauty and relaxation alone would be Lake Curlew near Republic Washington. All the bodies of water, at least that I can speak for, that are on the west-side of the Cascades; Merwin, Mayfield, and Tapps... I would say an Angler would have a fairly equal chance of hooking into a large fish (45 inch plus) at some point in time if they were willing to put in the time on the water.

Our largest releases came this year from Tapps, a 49 inch beauty right in our own back-yard! Another Member, also released a 49 inch monster in Curlew, and yet another Member released a 48.5 from Merwin Res.. Yes, 2010 was a good Tiger year indeed for us Muskie enthusiasts.

FireTiger, the fish are all there, but what lake? I think if I had the time, and the inclination, I would say try at least two bodies of water just to experience them. Relax, fish, and have some fun... if your "time-off" falls into a time-frame when you can attend one of our tournaments within the state do that;) We do sponsor "Open" tournaments, that anyone can attend, and also Muskies, Inc. Members only tournaments through-out the year. We have a lot of fun, and every once in while we too get lucky and catch a Tiger that has been lurking in that weedy jungle down below... just to let her go...

Crazy bunch... these Tiger Muskie Anglers...LOL...
>----):< A good gamefish is too valuable, to be caught only once.
NW TIGER PAC, Chapter 57 of Muskies, Inc.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:02 am

If your going to spend two weeks on the water, I would NOT goto Tapps. Tapps is wall to wall houses and has a much higher recreational user count than say Mayfield (My pick) or Merwin (second choice). Tapps is not very relaxing in my opinion, and that makes a big difference for me.

Good luck, I'd love to take a two week fishing excursion...

dougw
Commander

Post by dougw » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:19 am

I think the best option overall would be to hit several lakes, like bad esox suggested. If you want to come east, I would personally hit Newman or Silver first, for maybe a couple of days, then plan at least a week on Curlew. Curlew does not have near the boat traffic of any of the Washington lakes that have which have muskies. It is also has some of the best potential for large muskies. If you make it over here, please don't hesitate to ask any of us for help in finding them. Our Chapter members are always looking for reasons to get on the water and introduce new people to this fun sport.

Having not fished any lakes on the west side, I can't really give any advice there. Rich and bad esox can point you in good directions there. Also look up jigman. He certainly knows Tapps as good as anyone for tigers. He's a fishing machine! I wish I were as fortunate to spend as much time on the water as he does!
President
Chapter 60, Muskies Inc.
Mountain Muskies

PDXFisher
Petty Officer

Post by PDXFisher » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:53 pm

Go to Morson or Nestor Falls, Ontario on Lake of the Woods. I'll even meet you there. I'm not kidding. Having fished all over Minnesota, Wisconsin, Western Washington, Illinois and Ontario for Muskies, I'll take Lake of the Woods. It's not even close. Second choice, Leech Lake, Minnesota (August or later). Read Muskies on the Shield before you go. Best Muskie book ever. I'll help you plan your trip, just because I think it's something all Muskie fishermen need to do. I'm considering Georgian Bay on Lake Huron for this year's trip.

In general, your best chance of success is to pick a lake and learn it. That's something I have a hard time with, especially when I go on my month-long trip to Minnesota and surrounding environs every year. In Washington, it's easier. There is nothing for mid-lake structure in Merwin, little in Mayfield. I've never done Curlew, but it sounds like the most fun of any Washington lake just because it most closely resembles what all 110 Muskie lakes in Minnesota have to offer, ie; something other than simple shoreline casting in a steep-sided reservoir. It's not big, so it should be easy for you to learn and pattern. It's not overly-developed like Tapps. If you get bored, you can always go to another one, or go Pike fishing in Pend O'Reille.

Seriously though, Midwest fishing is extremely fun, if for nothing else than the by-catch of Pike, Walleye and Bass that keeps the days more interesting. Fishing in lakes with huge weed beds, humps, saddles, rocks..."structure" is so much more interesting. Even if I spend more hours per fish, I find it so much more rewarding when I do hook up.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:26 am

PDXFisher wrote: ... all 110 Muskie lakes in Minnesota have to offer....
Ok, now thats just not fair. #-o

PDXFisher
Petty Officer

Post by PDXFisher » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:44 am

Rich McVey wrote:
Well, I could have said "the thousand-plus Muskie lakes in Wisconsin" :jocolor:

But after a week near Hayward a few years ago, the lakes there freak me out. Too small, too shallow, too many lower-unit killers. LoTW was not nearly as scary.

dougw
Commander

Post by dougw » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:48 am

Really? Grew up in Wisconsin. Just have to be familiar with the lakes, as anywhere. Most of my Canadian fishing was more of a worry, since I couldn't spend enough time to really know the waters..... I had an understanding of all of them, but always found new and exciting places.... I am sure LOTW is much the same. But if I were going to take 2 weeks, and had my choice of where to go, I think you are right.... LOTW would be my choice as well.... I thought he was just talking of fishing here in Washington....
President
Chapter 60, Muskies Inc.
Mountain Muskies

PDXFisher
Petty Officer

Post by PDXFisher » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:58 pm

dougw wrote:Really? Grew up in Wisconsin. Just have to be familiar with the lakes, as anywhere. Most of my Canadian fishing was more of a worry, since I couldn't spend enough time to really know the waters..... I had an understanding of all of them, but always found new and exciting places.... I am sure LOTW is much the same. But if I were going to take 2 weeks, and had my choice of where to go, I think you are right.... LOTW would be my choice as well.... I thought he was just talking of fishing here in Washington....
I think he was talking about WA, but mentioned Wisconsin, which as far as I'm concerned opened the door to heck yeah, go East! :)

I almost lost my motor on both Ghost Lake (12' max depth) and Lost Land Lake. It's mostly a function of the Lakemaster Maps not being so accurate, and a hazard being a hundred feet from the hazard marker. So yeah, lack of familiarity on small lakes scares me. In Minnesota most of the Muskie lakes are much bigger than so many of the 500 acre and smaller lakes of Wisconsin. I'd love to go there with someone who knew the lakes well. I still have the fantasy of sight-fishing small lake Muskies with a fly rod.

On LoTW, they have the travel channels clearly marked, and you know to be careful when you're not on one. The new Lakemaster maps are wonderful.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:02 pm

PDXFisher wrote:
Rich McVey wrote:
Well, I could have said "the thousand-plus Muskie lakes in Wisconsin" :jocolor:
Hmm.. Is having access to them at every lake a good thing or a bad thing? Seems they wouldnt be as coveted as they are here. I guess it makes it easier when you want to target them. Less driving distance between the different lakes and such. Totally different fisheries for sure I imagine.

I travel so little, outside of Washington, I havent fished for anything else but Kansas Catfish. One day though, I just may make to Oregon or Idaho... But thats pushing it... lol.

I have heard good things about Lake of the Woods. If I got the chance to travel. That would be a lake I would like to get to.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDXFisher
Petty Officer

Post by PDXFisher » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:13 pm

Rich McVey wrote: Hmm.. Is having access to them at every lake a good thing or a bad thing? Seems they wouldnt be as coveted as they are here. I guess it makes it easier when you want to target them. Less driving distance between the different lakes and such. Totally different fisheries for sure I imagine.

I travel so little, outside of Washington, I havent fished for anything else but Kansas Catfish. One day though, I just may make to Oregon or Idaho... But thats pushing it... lol.

I have heard good things about Lake of the Woods. If I got the chance to travel. That would be a lake I would like to get to.
If I lived in the midwest, it would be a wonderful thing. Since I live in Oregon, it's difficult. I can barely muster the excitement to fish Muskies in Washington even when my success ratio out here is higher. I fished Merwin probably six days last year and not once did I even try to catch a Tiger despite having more than enough gear to do so. I'm lucky that I have in-laws all over Minnesota, but unlucky in that it has spoiled me to the point that I don't enjoy fishing in the Northwest anywhere near as much as I once did. If I could find a way to spend June through November in Minnesota, I would.

Not much reason to go to Oregon to fish, except for fly fishing Deschutes or Metolius or a world-record Kokanee in Wallowa Lake. Washington has better options, as does Idaho, Montana and BC. WDFW is much more forward-thinking than ODFW from what I can tell.

Believe me, Muskies and their lakes are coveted in the Midwest, by a much larger number of fishermen than we'll ever see in these parts. They have a building in the shape of a Muskie. There are mounts all over the bars. There are fights between Muskie and Walleye guys at the boat ramps and DNR meetings. There are Muskie stories generations old still being told over pints of Leinie's Red. There is only one fish species in this country that has seen an increase in the number of anglers targeting them (in this case an explosion) in the past decade and that's Muskies. It used to be that you did the wave if you saw another boat targeting Muskies in a lake...now you just get annoyed since they outnumber the Bass and Walleye guys half the time and have created overly-educated fish.

Everyone should make a pilgrimage at some point to one of the Muskie Meccas, Thorne Brothers, Hayward, WI, Walker or Bemidji, MN, Lake of the Woods (NW Angle or Ontario). I'm always looking for folks to join me out there, I have a boat near Minneapolis (about 15 minutes from Lake Waconia, where we got a 52" 40lb+ monster a few years back) waiting to get slimed again.

Natebg1
Lieutenant

Post by Natebg1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:11 pm

Well let me throw my thoughts of having 2 weeks to go fishing into this conversation. I grew up fishing the GREAT CHIPPEWA FLOWAGE in Hayward, Wisconsin and I personally can't compare any other lake to it. However even though I have such a great respect and love for this lake I can't think of any greater challenge and exciting time than having 2 weeks to go somewhere new and try something different. As a new fisherman out here in the Northwest I am learning thru my experiences that there are some amazing places to see and fish. For me it is personally an amazing opportunity to take a step out of my comfort zone and give fishing a different look all together. In the Mid-West we are used to large baits and heavy rods and reels. Here in Washington I am learning that downgrading is a GOOD Thing and that I can somewhat revert back to my days of Pike fishing the shorelines of the Chippewa Flowage, which I used to consider GREAT as a kid. Well what better way to learn to love fishing even that much more than to revert back to my childhood days and use the same baits and rods and reels to have a shot at some of the giants out here. I am so anxious to still hook into my first Northwest Tiger Musky on one of the very highly recommended lakes here and if anyone gets the itch to go with me I am always game to make this happen. So I guess my advise would be, if you have 2 weeks to fish, think back to when you were a kid fishing and what you would have done if you had that freedom then and if you can afford it, then go out and make your wildest fishing dream come true!!! Have a good one and I certainly hope you get the chance of a lifetime during your 2 weeks of fishing!!! Please send us back your stories of your time fishing and let us all know how you did, I look forward to seeing and hearing what you caught!!! Good luck, keep the lines tight and lures spinning.

Nate
Chapter 57
NW Tiger Pac