HELP ME SOME ONE I AM A NEWBIE TO PIKE AND MUSKIE

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
driftercn83
Petty Officer

HELP ME SOME ONE I AM A NEWBIE TO PIKE AND MUSKIE

Post by driftercn83 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:03 am

I am fishing the muskie and northern capitol of the world lol lake mendota and manona in madison wi. so far muskie 3 me none. all been lost at the shore been using jake 6 inch hard diving jerkbaits and live perch perferably 6 to 9 inches long and one what was 10 inches 2 muskies have broke surface at the bank and the other which I know had to be a 50 incher but I never saw it came off at shore when she decided to bite the perch in half. I have thought about using the old mooching and salmon trolling trick of a double hook set up but dont know where to put the tag hook in the bait since I use live perch and free line them. I dont under stand how a fish throws three large treble hooks that the jerk bait has when the whole bait is in the mouth.. any suggestions on this issue? the other two fish where 30 + inch which is nice for my first week ever truely targetting these moody toothy critters. and what is the whole moon phase thing I have been hearing about would love some personal ideas not just sites to look into....
An old man once told me that if you stick a worm on a hook drop it over the bank you can feed your self for life. I tried it modified it and geez I am beating them off with a broom now.

" Talking about the way it used to be. Skittley dit dat dow doo day. we used to pull Stripers out of san pablo bay. now the delta waters go down so cal and the stripers faded away.." (Primus)

KUP
Commander

RE:HELP ME SOME ONE I AM A NEWBIE TO PIKE AND MUSKIE

Post by KUP » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:35 am

Hey drifter, you are in luck. There are over 50 Chapters of Muskies, Inc. in the U.S. and there are SIX (6!) Chapters in the State of Ohio. If you go to this link:

http://www.muskiesinc.org

then go to the left column and click on "Chapter Info"
you will see how to contact them. They will probably be better equipped to help you out because some of the techniques and regulations are different for different parts of the United States. Good Luck with the muskies and congrats on "getting Hooked" on them - now you are in trouble! LOL!
Have fun and keep us posted on your success! :hockey:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger Muskies are sterile.
You can't keep them under 50 inches:
Let them do their job: Eating N.P.Minnows

bad esox
Lieutenant

RE:HELP ME SOME ONE I AM A NEWBIE TO PIKE AND MUSKIE

Post by bad esox » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:29 pm

Hey Kup is correct...Find a Chapter of Muskies, Inc. no matter where you are and you will find many members willing to help you out...throughout the United States! You do not have to be a member to attend our general membership meetings, but once you attend one of these meetings, you probably will become a member of Muskies, Inc. because the anglers are such great and generous people! It is a great Organization with some fantastic members! Check it out!!!

The muskies are waiting for you:compress:
>----):< A good gamefish is too valuable, to be caught only once.
NW TIGER PAC, Chapter 57 of Muskies, Inc.