It can happen to the best of us.

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Big D

It can happen to the best of us.

Post by Big D » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:07 am

From Dave Graybill's web site:
Monday, February 22, 2010
By Dave Graybill

I made a big mistake while fishing on the Methow River recently. My fishing buddy ***** had landed a nice wild steelhead and I told him to hold it up for a photo. Just taking orders, ***** held it up briefly and I snapped a shot. This was a mistake. A wild steelhead should never be removed from the water and we both know this. I got ***** to do it and I need to apologize to him, the Department of Fish and Wildlife and readers who saw the photo in local newspapers and on my web site. I want to let readers who noticed this infraction of the fishing rules that both ***** and I have been contacted by the Department of Fish and Wildlife and appropriate action has been taken. This was really stupid on my part. I spend enough time telling people about the rules of fishing that I not only should know the rules, but even more important should abide by them. The fact that we have the privilege of fishing our local rivers for steelhead depends on the good conduct of anglers. I fully recognize that what I did is contrary to that good conduct.

On a personal note,
I have met and chatted with Dave several times in the last couple of years and have always found him to be a consummate sportsman. He truly cares for our environment and the wildlife contained therein. Dave has an easy and welcoming manner and is always willing to share a tip or two about the lakes and rivers he has fished.

Dave,
I hope that the “appropriate action” taken by WDFW wasn’t too harsh and that you will soon recover from this minor slip-up.
I look forward to our next meeting.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

RE:It can happen to the best of us.

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:49 am

there you go. If a veteran like Dave who has a lifetime of fishing behind him can make this mistake, we shouldn't be too hard on a 17 year old kid. Thanks for the post.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:44 am

Thats right mike a 17 year old kid. Now the father of that kid is a different story. Its our job as parents (for those of us that are parents) to get our kids off on the right foot. To follow rules and laws set so that our childeren learn the correct things to do. I dont fault the kid at all. I do however fault the parent for not better educating his son on correct fishing practices.
More fish please!

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:13 am

I've only briefly met Dave through the cast for kids events over at Potholes, but of course his legacy speaks for itself. I like that he made himself accountable, even though this was clearly an honest mistake. Thanks for posting BigD!
Dave
http://www.WatkinsBassfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sponsor WashingtonLakes.com

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:40 am

flinginpooh, great point. Not only the father but I think everyone should be educating eachother on proper fish handling. I privately message Derrick after Mike took the thread off and was straight forward with him in that I was one of the people who asked the thread be removed and explained to him why. I also explained to him what standard safe fish handling is. Hopefully he shared with his father. If it got through to him, then great, if not, then perhaps a fine from WDFW will in the future.

Point being, better awareness is important.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:16 am

Hey D, don't be too hard on yourself. We're all human and there for live in the moment. I'll bet it was pretty darn exciting one. If ya got spanked by WDFG sorry, it happens. It's like the guy from out of town that drives past the school zone sign while looking for an address on the other side of the street. He gets the raspberries and humiliation from the local, then the ticket. It happens, its karma, we live, we move on. Go catch another one!!!! Image
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:24 am

I've met Dave G a few times and subscribe to his e-newsletter. He's a good guy and a reliable source of information on whats going on in his area. Kudos to Dave for manning up and admitting he made a mistake.
I'm certain that we've all unintentionally broke a rule at one time or another. When the published regs come out I get enough copies that I have one on my desk, in my car and truck, and one in my major tackle bags. Before I go to an unfamiliar area I always review the regs.
Again, kudos to Dave G, he's a stand up guy.
Life's short - fish hard!

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:09 pm

The people who made the laws regarding fish handling are the same people who want you to pee on a rock when you're on a trail. The same people who stopped the city of Seattle from salting the roads last winter so the diluted salt didn't end up in Puget Sound. The same people that are calling drops of oil on the roadways "The Exxon Valdez in slow Motion." The same people who decided not to plant the Pilchuk river any more.

Is there any hard evidence of Steelhead kills due to incidental hooking of native fish?
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:21 pm

Usually they will just swim away unharmed. Beacause they are a lil different then brats they are more aggressive. They may swallow bait. This is where it can cause incidental death. Or if they are mishandled too much. Everyone gets a lil pissy at the government, but keep in mind that if they didnt step in when they did there would be next to no steelies in wa waters. That was not there fault but the fault of anglers before us. The over fishing of a species. Look at the sokeye. I miss fishing lake washington for them.
More fish please!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:52 pm

flinginpooh wrote:Thats right mike a 17 year old kid. Now the father of that kid is a different story. Its our job as parents (for those of us that are parents) to get our kids off on the right foot. To follow rules and laws set so that our childeren learn the correct things to do. I dont fault the kid at all. I do however fault the parent for not better educating his son on correct fishing practices.
point taken

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:55 pm

Splitshot wrote:

Is there any hard evidence of Steelhead kills due to incidental hooking of native fish?
Yes.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:54 pm

i would have to agree. native fish are more easily stressed out. so normaly if i hook one i get it to shore in about 10 inches of water and tail the fish. remove the hooks and release.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:46 pm

....:nemo:....

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:18 pm

Splitshot wrote: The people who made the laws regarding fish handling are the same people who want you to pee on a rock when you're on a trail. The same people who stopped the city of Seattle from salting the roads last winter so the diluted salt didn't end up in Puget Sound.

Nice.. I like that.:bball:
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:54 pm

Splitshot wrote: The people who made the laws regarding fish handling are the same people who want you to pee on a rock when you're on a trail. The same people who stopped the city of Seattle from salting the roads last winter so the diluted salt didn't end up in Puget Sound. The same people that are calling drops of oil on the roadways "The Exxon Valdez in slow Motion." The same people who decided not to plant the Pilchuk river any more.

I think your a little confused...

There's enough idiots out there as it is, and the fish handling laws are meant to prevent all those goons out there from grabbing fish by the tail and ripping them up the bank....The current rules are meant to protect fish and keep them in shape before a release.

Salting roads are terrible. Look at the undercarriages of cars back east, they salt roads religiously back there and that salt wrecks havok on cars. Learn to drive on the snow or stay off the roads. How about that?

Planting the Pilchuck is a dumb idea. Theres a natural strain of fish in there that wouldn't benefit from planting of hatchery steelhead... If you want a meat fishery go fish the Cowlitz or the Sky up at Reiter. Planting hatchery turds everywhere ain't the best option.

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:16 pm

I respectfully disagree with everything you have said Blackmouth.
Blackmouth wrote: There's enough idiots out there as it is, and the fish handling laws are meant to prevent all those goons out there from grabbing fish by the tail and ripping them up the bank....
By "goon" do you mean the likes of Bill Herzog and others that showed us how to catch steelhead?
Blackmouth wrote: Salting roads are terrible. Look at the undercarriages of cars back east, they salt roads religiously back there and that salt wrecks havoc on cars. Learn to drive on the snow or stay off the roads. How about that?

Why don't you learn how to wash your car.
Blacklmouth wrote: Planting the Pilchuck is a dumb idea. Theres a natural strain of fish in there that wouldn't benefit from planting of hatchery steelhead... If you want a meat fishery go fish the Cowlitz or the Sky up at Reiter. Planting hatchery turds everywhere ain't the best option.
I suggest you read this article by Bob Heirman.

As far as “meat fishery” versus catch and release goes, I can see the case for the conservationist position that CR is nothing more than torture. Maybe rivers with only native runs should not be fished??? Regarding the Pilchuck, I see no reason to fish this beautiful little river 10 minutes from my home if there is no chance to bring home a meal.

You’ve probably notice my frustration with the ever growing power of environmentalists. We need clean energy but proposed slow spinning wind turbines along the Columbia have been protested because of ........…bird strikes.

We were required to install clean burning woodstoves in our homes in the early 80’s. Now, because air quality standards have been increased significantly and we have a new “stage 2 burn ban” , it won’t be long before those of us that heat with wood won’t be allowed to do so. ( I can hear you now, - “don't you know what your smoke does to my lungs!")

And oil on the roads? Forgive me but I grew up in a time when you changed your oil, you dumped it in the storm drain…

A lot has changed.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:00 pm

Splitshot wrote:I respectfully disagree with everything you have said Blackmouth.
Blackmouth wrote: There's enough idiots out there as it is, and the fish handling laws are meant to prevent all those goons out there from grabbing fish by the tail and ripping them up the bank....
By "goon" do you mean the likes of Bill Herzog and others that showed us how to catch steelhead?
Blackmouth wrote: Salting roads are terrible. Look at the undercarriages of cars back east, they salt roads religiously back there and that salt wrecks havoc on cars. Learn to drive on the snow or stay off the roads. How about that?

Why don't you learn how to wash your car.
Blacklmouth wrote: Planting the Pilchuck is a dumb idea. Theres a natural strain of fish in there that wouldn't benefit from planting of hatchery steelhead... If you want a meat fishery go fish the Cowlitz or the Sky up at Reiter. Planting hatchery turds everywhere ain't the best option.
I suggest you read this article by Bob Heirman.

As far as “meat fishery” versus catch and release goes, I can see the case for the conservationist position that CR is nothing more than torture. Maybe rivers with only native runs should not be fished??? Regarding the Pilchuck, I see no reason to fish this beautiful little river 10 minutes from my home if there is no chance to bring home a meal.

I wasn't referring to Bill Herzog. I'm referring to the other idiots out there who treat fish like dirt when they get them on hte bank. In the past few years, I've never seen more blatent disrespect for fish that are being released. People pulling fish up the bank and then kicking them back or grabbing them by the tail and than throwing em back in... Thats why we should have very very particular rules for fish handling. I see nothing wrong, nor difficult, with keeping native steelhead in the water when having to release them. Netting them, letting em flop on the bank or in the boat and then releasing them causes a lot of harm to the fish and they are given a much lower chance of survival.

Washing my car? Since when do you wash your undercarriage of your car? Driving on salted roads gets up in the mechanical parts of the undercarriage, not the side panels... Suspension system, engine, etc, all get the salted slush up in their undercarriage and that turns into a rust pile...No good for your car, and a car wash aint gonna help it. Instead of learning to wash your car, learn how to respect mother nature and don't drive on the roads if you cannot safely do so.

I must view steelhead differently than you. I don't see steelhead as a huge hatchery operation that should be run for the purpose of being able to take everything home. I don't fish for hatchery steelhead, I fish for native steely's so I can get the chance to catch and release them. Hatchery brats don't do it for me, and I don't think their existence should be prioritized over the dwindling native stocks we have. There's plenty of good hatchery operations on the Sky/Snoq system, we don't need to put a hatchery on every tributary....

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:08 pm

I haven't seen the rough handling you describe but it's not hard to imagine. I've heard of people gutting chum for the roe and letting them swim away with entrails trailing. I guess not all people have the same respect for wildlife. I mentioned Bill Herzog because in his books i've read, he poses with the fish out of the water.
Blackmouth wrote:I must view steelhead differently than you
Yup. For me, I enjoy the whole experience of fishing, from finding a good spot, to putting a tasty meal on the table. Nothing wrong with CR if that's what you enjoy.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:18 pm

i can certainly respect both sides of the argument here. I have no disrespect for someone who wants to put a meal on the table. I'm with Blackmouth however. I believe in recovering our native population. Hatchery fish in many of the systems have practically destroyed many of our native runs. In my opinion, WDFW should take aside a few "lost cause" rivers and keep them as dedicated hatchery rivers. Cowlitz anyone?

But...like other things, managing hatchery and native fisheries is a difficult task, one that causes arguements among many.

One thing I just hope everyone can agree on is proper fish handling. If we can't change the way our fisheries are managed, atleast we can do our part in reducing the mortality rate.

I know fish and humans are very much different but I pose this challenge to everyone - Everytime you lift up a fish out of water or lay it on gravel, just imagine yourself running a mile with heavy weights dragging behind...then dip your head under water for a good minute and see how you feel. Not so great I'm guessing :/

Our waters have suffered enough from commercial and tribal netting + dams + millions of other factors...let's atleast do our small part in keeping the small remaining fish we have safe and alive.

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:38 pm

Fear of something like that is what keeps me from hitting the rivers. I am afraid of commiting an infraction on an honest mistake. However, the fact that I don't know how the hell to tell a wild steelhead from a hatchery one makes me deicide just to avoid it and I would never fish for them unless I was sure I know what I'm doing. For a weekend warrior like me, it just seems like too much effort to know how to differentiate all the types of salmon and steelhead. Maybe if I was raised on this side of the Cascade I would have learned by now.