Where do I need to go to catch them?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
smoked1
Petty Officer

Where do I need to go to catch them?

Post by smoked1 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:55 am

My buddy and I have been fishing the Snohomish since it opened and I have only got 2 pinks. He is still getting skunked every time. We have been using buzz bombs, jigs, sand shrimp, and all sorts of other stuff but nothing is working for us. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where we should go? I was thinking about going down to where the river meets the ocean but I don't know the area at all. I was also considering the Stilli as I have been seeing some good reports there as well.

Dustin07
Commodore

RE:Where do I need to go to catch them?

Post by Dustin07 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:49 am

I've caught all my river salmon this fall using a corky rig, kinda like this:

This is a popular weight setup:

People have been using differen colors, and leaders from 2ft - 6ft. Weights seem to vary from the light surgical tubing type approach to a 3oz or heavier banana weight.

I personally have preferred a 1-2oz banana myself. medium sized corkies, most luck on orange and green. People will tell you color doesn't matter... maybe it's true... maybe not... One guy told me he was only catching on small black corkies. I had no luck with black.

fishermom
Petty Officer

RE:Where do I need to go to catch them?

Post by fishermom » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:44 pm

Zip on over to the sandbar at Skagit River Park in Burlington. Can't miss, especially early in the AM. Use sand shrimp and winged spinners, dark green with orange on the ends. You will need rather heavy weights - more than 2 ounces. Oh, and get that spider line in a tube to secure the sand shrimp to the shaft of the hook. Throw it in, and hold the line with your finger. One small jerk is a bite - feels just like a goldfish biting, then set the hook and reel it in. Lots are lost very close to the beach, so bring a net. If you don't catch your limit, I'll eat my hat.
Fish like this is your last day on earth, conserve like you will live 1000 years.