Spring chinook- snake/clearwater confluence- need advice on shore riggings-

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
pikenmuskiegirl
Angler

Spring chinook- snake/clearwater confluence- need advice on shore riggings-

Post by pikenmuskiegirl » Wed May 07, 2008 10:42 pm

I just got back from Lewiston and fished for Chinook at the idaho/wash border. I am looking for advice from anyone who has actually fished for these salmon before- it was my rookie voyage and unfortunately I had very little time to get a line in this trip. I'll be going back in a week and will have 2 full days to devote to catching either an early chinook or a late steelhead. No boat so I'll be shorebound. Any advice at all on rigging or location, retrieve, anything at all actually, would be helpful! Thanks-

We were fishing at the confluence of the Snake/Clearwater right on the Washingon/Idaho border- actually about 20 feet from the division sign. I have a 2 pole Idaho license so rigged them up differently.

I had one line rigged up with a black/pink 1/4 oz. glohead mirabou jig on a swivel setup about 5 feet under a bobber. I trailed another hook ( all hooks barbless) about 6 inches off of that baited with fresh roe- I used some red mesh and magic thread. Rod #2 was rigged off the bottom with a spin n glo and a rockshrimp. pe-eww!! I put some extra stinky juice on that one and got a hit right away- I mean right away. Unfortunately I thought it was just the current at first until it jerked again- this time I jerked back. felt one more huge tug then nothing- reeled in, bait was gone except just the last little nug tied on with the thread- re-rigged, cast and saw no further action on that rod. The bobber set-up got picked at by something smaller but I didn't throw that one until right before dusk and then it was pretty hard to see in the current. About that time the wind kicked up, the sun went down and it was time to pack up... I don't know if this will help anyone- no fish but at least I got a hit....better luck next time. Any advice on riggings would be helpful- thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu May 08, 2008 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.