Sturgeon Fishing in the Snohomish?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jojo
Petty Officer

Sturgeon Fishing in the Snohomish?

Post by jojo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:55 pm

Hey all,

Not sure if this is the right spot but has anyone fished for sturgeon in the Snohomish or the lower end towards Everett? I have heard of some ppl fishing for them but not sure. If they're in there, I'd def. try it out since the season is year round.

Thanks!

viet
Petty Officer

RE:Sturgeon Fishing in the Snohomish?

Post by viet » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:22 pm

i posted this same question a while back. the reply was that there are sturgeon there. havent been able to make the trip yet though. check it out and post a report after you've gone. :cheers:
there's nothing better than standing on the side of a lake or river knowing that only a handful of people have stood in that exact spot and witness the beauty of mother nature first hand.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:24 pm

Word is that some sturgeon make it up the river, but I've never heard of any real success fishing for them. Word would spread quick if there was any sort of a fishery for them...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:41 pm

The sturgeon fishery in the Snoho is not near what it is in the Columbia, but it is also not a 3 hour drive away. Find the deeper spots in the main river or the sloughs such as Steamboat or Ebey. If you don't do well in the river than try out at Preist Point in in the Sound if you have a salt license. Another place to try that is closer to home than the Columbia is toward the mouth of the Stilliguamish. There are a decent number of sturgeon in the Snoho, you just have to put in a little time to find a good hole.

Bufford
Angler

Post by Bufford » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:57 pm

The only time? I ever heard anyone fish for sturgeon out of the Snoh river was from this Idiot of a Drunk I met up while camping..He told me that he would get a whole chicken and cut it in half and with a big hook?? He would just impale the half chicken... and with a rope he would just tie the hook and just throw it in the Snoh River with a Big Float and a Anchor...He claimed he would come around the next day checking all the lines and claimed he would catch at least 1 a day...

As I said?? "This Guy was a Drunk Fool!!!" and I just figured he was pulling my leg..Even if his story is true?? I really question the Legality of this?? lol

P.S. ??? To the Drunk idiot?? I met up at camping?? If by chance?? Your a member of this forum?? I was just kidding about the "idiot" part..:-# Hahaha as it is a small World..#-o

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:06 pm

Um...when and where were you camping? My wife will tell you I'm an idiot and I will tell you I'm a drunk.:cheers:

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:04 pm

Thats a funny story anyway bufford thanks. :)

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:11 pm

When I used to live on that side of the mountians, I remember hearing stories about sturgeon in the snoh, also I remember hearing that the chehailes had better fishing for sturgeon. Actually your best bet north of the columbia river for sturgeon in washington.
Well its not called Catching!

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:39 pm

A friend has caught a bunch of sturgen in the snohomish sloughs.. Both steamboat and ebee slough have them average 3 to 4 feet..Never got one in the main river though.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:52 pm

One of the few that I have seen caught out of the main river was caught during Humpy season by a guy that was plunking a sand shrimp and spin n glo. He caught it upriver from Snohomish, almost to Thomas's Eddy. It was a nice one about 5'. The fish are in the main river it is just a bit harder to find them than it is in the smaller sloughs.

kavykid2k6
Warrant Officer

Post by kavykid2k6 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:30 am

sturgeon are all up and down the snohomish river, been fishin it for problay ten years now for them. the sloughs are a little more productive then the main river. look for sand bars right in the middle of the river, also up towards town by the train bridge is another really good honey hole.

this last year we were driftin sandshrimp for silver up by the grave yard and my dad caught a 41 incher up there.

the stilly is also another river that you can catch these fish in. it might not be as productive as the columbia but i would rather drive ten minutes then three hours
Fishing the waters of the stilly, sky and snoho and the lakes of
North Snohomish county-- and my pond