Coho salmon. Pierced the gallbladder?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Taybrego31
Angler

Coho salmon. Pierced the gallbladder?

Post by Taybrego31 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Apologies if this is posted on the wrong thread.

Caught a nice six pound Coho hen this morning on the Puyallup. When I went to clean it I stupidly made the first cut behind the head and pectoral fin as if to fillet it... before I gutted it. I immediately realized what I did and proceeded to gut it. Up closer to the vital organs I noticed a dark yellow, almost brown, fluid coming out of the fish. Was this bile from its gallbladder? I've only seen greenish fish bile before. It actually stained my fingertips yellow, like iodine does but not as bad. It was hard to wipe the color off my cutting board and seemed to stain the fish's skin a little bit. I was able to cut off any flesh that came into contact with it by quickly filleting the meat off the ribs.

Sorry I didn't think to take a picture, but this perplexed me. [huh] Did I pierce the gallbladder with that erroneous first cut or could it be something else?

Thanks for any input!

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Coho salmon. Pierced the gallbladder?

Post by BentRod » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:37 am

Sounds like it. I've done it a few times. Although I try to avoid it, it doesn't seem to taint the flavor as the volume is pretty small. Rinse or dry off any you see.
However, if you cure any roe, don't let it come into contact with that.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:31 am

Yes, gallbladder. Bile. you want to rinse it off quickly.

Taybrego31
Angler

Post by Taybrego31 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:29 am

Thanks for your replies! I did manage to rinse it off and keep it off of the filets. Just never seen fluid like that before in salmon so it weirded me out.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:01 am

I prefer filleting my fish with guts in
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.