step up from Okuma SST

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
somethingsfishy
Angler

step up from Okuma SST

Post by somethingsfishy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:38 pm

I was fishing the other day and a kid let me try his Lamiglass IX something pole (he said he spent $900 on pole and baitcaster reel) it was SO sensitive while driftfishing, it made my SST feel like it had the sensitivity of a baseball bat. I am not going to spend $900 on a pole. Any recomnedations for a baitcaster pole for salmon fishing in the rivers / drift fishing in the $300 - 350 ish range? (with reel)

I have never used a baitcaster rig yet

BlakeP
Commander

Re: step up from Okuma SST

Post by BlakeP » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:46 pm

I don't use baitcasters myself but I can tell you that typically a higher quality baitcaster reel is gonna cost you more than a quality spinning reel. If you want something pretty sensitive but not higher priced look into some of the casting G.Loomis EX6 rods.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Lamiglas redlines are really sensitive in $150 range and their G1000 pro line are really nice in the $275-300 range. Also watch Craigslist and you can find some really nice rods (lami and Loomis) under $200. My favorite rods (and what I use almost exclusively) are the lami certified pros but they don't make them anymore. You can find those occasionally for under $175. As for a reel, the curado 200e is really hard to beat in the river. It's a tank that handles the conditions well. You can usually find one on eBay for about $100. It's not the newest model curado but the E series is the best version Shimano has built imo.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:49 pm

I concur with Spokey9. I sold both a Lami Cert. Pro. last year, as well as the Curado 200e
Nice equipmemt. Watch Ebay as well.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:46 pm

You can get an okuma raw 2 centerpin reel and a fenwick hmx centerpin rod for around 300ish total for the combo.

My (g-loomis) gl2 centerpin is pretty smooth, scored it used for 150, i think they go for 300-400 new though. My islander was about $500 CAD after taxes. There is no smoother drift than what you get from a centerpin. Centerpins are the best float set ups possible IMO. Baitcasters feel like sloppy baseball bats by comparison (even nice ones).

If you do ever break down and decide to drop a grand on a fishing rod skip the baitcaster and go for the centerpin.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.