Nooksack pink salmon closure....

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dj2loud
Lieutenant

Nooksack pink salmon closure....

Post by dj2loud » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:01 pm

So this weekend was a good one until my son pointed out a net on the shore. Apparently the nooksack fisherman decided to pull a net on saturday as required by the regulations, the not so funny thing is it was full of pink salmon... The pink salmon that we sportsmen and sportswomen are not allowed to retain due to low returns for escapement purposes... I have no issue with that closure until i seen this...... How is this acceptable?

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Re: Nooksack pink salmon closure....

Post by dj2loud » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:40 pm

Is the pictures accessable?

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:20 pm

dj2loud wrote:Is the pictures accessable?
When you first posted them I could see them, now I cannot.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:39 pm

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:07 pm

You should send those pics to any groups involved with nooksack conservation
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Peduncle
Angler

Post by Peduncle » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:27 am

That doesn't look like anything that wouldn't be expected. Remember they closed it for low numbers not no numbers. On healthy run years that net would yield 7x that amount.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:22 am

1st time I've seen these pics. Disgusting. The natives must really "appreciate" all of their natural resources they get to blatantly destroy & waste. makes me sick...
Send these into the news outlets maybe? And keep records of all of the BS you see!

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:12 pm

Now now now, we all know that's their way of conservation, I have a gut feeling that all the coho we were catching prior to Sept 1 are long gone in the nets as well, I have been finding nets pulled from the waters, and honestly i think it's some of our fellow fisherman that have been doing it....... I can't condone it and therefore instead of pulling them CUT THE LIVING HELL OUT OF THEM>>>>>>> We know ******* well the state isn't doing a damn thing about it and we are..... NOOKSACK TRIBE is going down....

Found another net at the FFA BARN pulled and left on the rocks again...... 3 pink salmon on the bank rotting......

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:34 am

Closing the river to Pinks does not make it Sport Fishing only.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:41 pm

Jake Dogfish wrote:Closing the river to Pinks does not make it Sport Fishing only.
?

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:49 pm

Yep - OP nailed it.

They are just throwing their nets along the shore with fish in them and abandoning them so that the fish will rot.

Clearly they don't care about their gear, or the cost of it - so long as they can let fish rot between the rocks. You can tell by the green anchor rope in the pic that they had no interest in securing the net. They just wanna let the fish rot, because it makes sense, to at least - if not only OP.

But OP has a BRILLIANT idea in case it doesn't make sense! Cut their nets!
Because a cut the net wouldn't wash downstream so that it would be lost, and the fish in it would not rot.

Cripes.