New deadheads on the lower Snohomish

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

New deadheads on the lower Snohomish

Post by BARCHASER » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:31 pm

This AM I launched at Everett and ran up the Sno. I launched at Everett cause I was by myself in my Seahawk, there was a pretty low tide later and I thought Everett would be easier to recover.. I've been running up the Sno for Pinks for 15 years or so, usually every Pink year.

I didn't see it going up but coming back down about half way between the Lowell corner and the go slow area where all the derelict boats are at, there is a real nasty deadhead right in the middle of the channel. Going up stream in the AM it was covered but going back down around noon it had 2-3 feet exposed. I'm used to deadheads on the Sno. But in years past they were not in the middle of the channel but rather off to one side, there weren't many and it didn't seem to change from year to year. Its not a dead tree type, its a big log about 2 feet in diameter. To mark it... just off to the east closer to shore is a dead tree type deadhead that was 8-9 feet out of water so its a good mark.

I wanted to mark it with a buoy but I didn't have a buoy, the out tide was running fast and it would have taken two guys to mark it. Kinda concerns me cause this one is dead center in the middle and nasty. It wasn't there two years ago.

Fishing wasn't fast but I did get a real nice buck. There were 7-8 boats around me where I was fishing and I only saw 2 other fish taken. Very few rollers and jumpers.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: New deadheads on the lower Snohomish

Post by Bodofish » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:10 am

I'm a little slow but yeah, it's a nasty one especially if you're going upstream and it's been there well over a year.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:18 am

I hope somebody hangs a buoy on it. As for me, I think I'll start using the new Snohomish ramp.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:54 pm

BARCHASER1 wrote:I hope somebody hangs a buoy on it. As for me, I think I'll start using the new Snohomish ramp.
I think a thousand of our closest friends have had the same idea. Tensions looked pretty high when I surveyed it yesterday....... I'm guessing during the week, not so bad.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:56 am

Not much room there after it gets off the trlr, no dock. I haven't actually launched there yet. I took a look at it last week. At the bottom of the tide , depending on how low it gets, doesn't look like enuff water to launch/recover my 18' Seahawk. I was going to try it tomorrow but I'm going out in my buddies boat at Shillshole instead.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:36 am

I might try on Friday. I haven't decided if I want to put the big boat in or just row up the river a bit with the in coming tide. I guess it will depend on if I have anyone going besides the dog. [biggrin]