A BAD EVENING !

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Jammer19
Petty Officer

A BAD EVENING !

Post by Jammer19 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:53 am

Last night I went to the Puyallup river approximately 500 feet downstream from the 66th street bridge. As I was walking in I saw the 61 guys fishing illegally within the 400-foot closed waters of the Clarks creek mouth, and yes, I did count them. There were a couple guys fishing right in the mouth of the creek and I mentioned that this was illegal to which I was told how to pleasure myself very rudely. At that point, I made the decision if these guys want to get a fine, let them.
As I proceeded down to the area where I was going to fish there was a group of guys I noticed because of the music they were playing very loudly. I decided at that point I would go even further downstream. Once I got to my area, no one within 150 feet of me, I was able to cast about 4 times when I noticed a line about ten feet in front of me. Looking upstream I verified the guy who was reeling in this line was at least 150 feet upstream of me. As the weight and leader past me I noticed how long the leader was, and the barbed hook, and sure enough a few minutes later when he snagged his first salmon that I saw it was obvious he had no control of the fish once he ran out of main line.
Then the evening fishing took an even worse turn…. This group of guys kept getting closer and closer to me, literally within ten feet of me, tangling my line with theirs, blaring the rap music they enjoy, and snagging fish after fish. I left after being on the river less than 45 minutes.
My point in sharing this is that hopefully some of these guys will read this and realize that they are not only criminals, they are being very rude, unethical, and giving true fisherman a bad name. My second point in sharing this is that I hope WDFW will patrol this are much more heavily. I am fine with the wardens giving warnings if it is merited, but if guys are blatantly flipping off the law, write them up and show no mercy.
Will I go back to the Puyallup river, yes, but I will take my phone with me next time. This will allow me to take photos, share them with the wardens, and post them on-line in every place possible.
Smile for the camera!!
Hope every true fisherman has a great season and tight lines!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: A BAD EVENING !

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:28 am

I feel your pain Jammer19. All valid points. It is a true shame to not be able to enjoy the reource around us.
This is precisely why I don't even fish the Puget Sound rivers. An experience like that just turms my insides into a mess. I find that 99% of my fishing I spend in places without other people around. If I want a river salmon, I hire an Olympic Peninsula guide.
Sorry I don't have a true answer to your problem.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:39 am

Unfortunately the Puyallup is notorious for stuff like that. The only options you have in situations like that are to call on them, stand up to them, or find somewhere else to fish. Sadly none of the choices are ideal.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:33 am

When getting to a phone
DIAL 911
To Report
POACHING IN PROGRESS / EMERGENCY
Dangerous Wildlife Complaints
NON-EMERGENCY
Poaching / Violations or
Dangerous Wildlife Complaints
1-877-933-9847
Text violations to
Enter WDFWTIP (a space) and the Report
Send to: 847411 (TIP411)
Reports are completely anonymous

WDFW COMMUNICATIONS is open Monday – Friday, from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. and closed weekends and holidays. If you are texting outside of these hours of operation, please contact your local State Patrol as they dispatch for WDFW when closed.

TURN IN A POACHER (TIP)
Reporting Violations/Poaching

The Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) Enforcement Program encourages any citizen who witnesses a fish and wildlife offense to report the violation. There are currently only 141 commissioned Fish and Wildlife Officers in Washington, approximately 1 for every 43,288 citizens. The state encompasses 66,582 square miles, 157 miles of coast line, 3,026 miles of shoreline, 8,000 lakes and 40,000 miles of rivers and streams. This means the effectiveness of Officers to curb the activities of poachers is dependent upon your help.

Witnesses are encouraged to report violations by calling toll-free 1-877-933-9847, using the dedicated email for reporting poaching, or reporting the crime by using the on-line reporting form. You always have the choice to remain anonymous when reporting.

Reward Program

Violator information that leads to a conviction, could be eligible for a cash reward (up to $500), or hunting bonus points (up to 10 points). Hunting bonus points provide a greatly improved chance for drawing special permits for hunting. Annually, about $ 8,000.00 is paid, and about 90 individuals receive special hunt drawing bonus points.

What Is Poaching?

Poaching is the illegal taking or possession of game animals and fish, non-game, and protected, threatened, or endangered fish and wildlife species. Hunting deer/elk with the aid of a spotlight, closed season, closed area, possessing over the legal limits of fish or wildlife, killing of protected and endangered fish or wildlife, or destruction of critical habitat owned or controlled by WDFW are just a few examples. Please refer to the hunting or fishing regulations posted on the WDFW website for further definition.

Poachers have different motivations for what they do. Some kill illegally for food, others for strictly a monetary profit. Some poach in order to secure what they consider to be valuable trophies. And a few individuals poach just for the thrill of seeing how many animals they can kill in a given time frame in competition with others. Poaching is a growing problem that occurs year around. Regardless of the reason, poaching is a serious crime that cannot be justified or condoned.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:17 pm

Don't bother fishing the puyallup. Other rivers can be fished in solitude or relative solitude with double digit hook up days, aggressive, biting fish. Most people don't realize it but thrre are miles and miles of prime water that rarely get used due to being "too muddy" or not having fish rising every minute. Or the biggest reason, because they aren't well known as being "good spots" pinks will swim by EVERY bit of river on the way to the well known spots we all hear about. Is all you have to do, is spend some time and learn when the best time to intersept them is.

As far as poachers go, don't be so accomidating. Start by asking them nicely if they realize they are breaking the rules, if they tell you to **** off, call them in. When enforcement doesn't arrive (because they never do) insist on "helping" them land their snagged fish, hip check them into the river and say "whoops, so clumsy of me" thats as close as you'll get to justice in washington state.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:18 pm

I hate muddy waters lol. Jonb is right though. Find your own spots instead of just going what others do. Down with poachers. I should start a new hate group call FTPA.
Fμ€ THEM POACHING A$$#θГ£$

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:56 am

Love it river hunter! Open up your heart and let the hate out! And as far as muddy water goes, to each their own. Noone will agree 100% on anything doesn't mean one or the other is necesarily wrong. Its just an opinion. Also if a person had a boat they wouldn't need to get muddy at all. Just anchor up and wait for the fish to swim by.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.