Craziest lure you've come across on the river?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dj2loud
Lieutenant

Craziest lure you've come across on the river?

Post by dj2loud » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:54 am

Found this on the end of my line today....... I've found some weird stuff but this one took the cake......

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Craziest lure you've come across on the river?

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:25 am

LOL Is that a Christmas tree light?

My brother accidentally 'invented' a pretty crazy one on a lake many many years ago. We were kids fishing with worms and sinkers for anything that would bite. He went to cast and got his line stuck in a tree behind him. When he yanked it out, a small branch was wrapped in the line. It landed in the water and as soon as he started to real it in a nice sized striper hit it! He didnt land the fish but he fished with that twig for the rest of the day. Even now, 50 some years later, he is prone to using odd ball stuff in what most people would consider inappropriate ways. That could easily be something he would come up with :)

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm

I don't have pics but I've seen a couple crazy looking rigs lol. The most bizarre was out at minter creek a few winter's back. Somebody had set up a drift rig and the leader was really short (maybe a foot) tied to a 3 way swivel. Off the opposite eye of the swivel was want looked like downrigger braid, but what made this rig extremely bizarre was the "sinker". This person had ran a spinner wire shaft thru a 4" buzzb bomb and tied it to the dropper eye of the 3 way. The fact the deepest part of minter is only about 6ft only made it more bizarre.

The one of other "quality" rigs I've found is the good ol' Wallace River streamer. In case ya ain't caught one out there, it's a big treble hook with a spark plug tied directly under it.

My absolute favorite though is the Skok fly. That's a very big treble hook with pencil lead wrapped up the shank. I'm guessing it's because kings love that lead grey color when aggressively jigged lol.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:48 pm

aggressively jigged..... [woot] And someone else has posted the spark plug jig as well on another posting... Thought that was one of the most ingenious way to snag until i saw the 1" chunk of steel welded to a 8/0 hook on the skagit near the bridge, it was snagged on the piling when we was running up the river in the sled....

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Ive found lingcod jigs in the samish... Ohh yeah that occurs normally by the jig "fishermen" who floss for chinook there. Nevermind, carry on lol
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:28 pm

ugh, i just bought some from walmart to buy them out before the season starts...... However i am at the mouth actually " jigging " for salmon and NOT letting it sit in the mud.......

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:29 am

The way people fish the Samish isn't only super boring, but like everyone knows its not a great ratio for hitting the fish in the mouth. Not that a lot of people care where they hook the fish. Last year some friends and I were nailing coho out there on pink blue foxes. My buddy also got some kings on em too. All the coho I got were native & released, but I believe my friend actually caught a couple clipped coho, which I didnt think were in there...

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:39 pm

Those are very few and so far between i'm surprised you would even comment on em with the great skagit closed.... Looks like we are going to see so much more pressure on the nook, samish and whatcom creek this year... The last year they were released was 2012 or 2013 i do believe.....

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Samish and Whatcom are rediculous as is with people. I think I'll be on the snohomish system a decent amount this year which will packed as always being closer to Seattle area. I'm hoping the estimates are off like last year and they open more fisheries.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:21 pm

The pinks are in river right now up here in bc, smaller numbers overall than usual, reduced limits, but big fat plump healthy looking pinks just hot and full of piss and vinigar so far. I think coho will fair quite a bit better than the pinks and i predict the coho run will make up for a somewhat-poor pink run this year. Good ocean conditions, coming from a solid run from 3 years ago and lack of major flooding that year should be good for returns. Pinks on the other hand had a major drought, and a ridiculously huge flood. But did have good ocean conditions. I imagine times will be tough until around mid/late sept.

Noodle Caboodle
Petty Officer

Post by Noodle Caboodle » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:21 pm

spokey9 wrote:
The one of other "quality" rigs I've found is the good ol' Wallace River streamer. In case ya ain't caught one out there, it's a big treble hook with a spark plug tied directly under
Ones of my buddies pulled a snake out of the wallace. Started with a monster treble bigger than a golf ball on 60lb mono or better, then a pink 2 1/2 buzz bomb, another monster treble, some line to a 3rd monster treble, more line to a big treble (like k14-15 big) and ended with a broken off piece of line to what was probably more hooks. Best ive seen yet..

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:35 pm

jonb wrote:The pinks are in river right now up here in bc, smaller numbers overall than usual, reduced limits, but big fat plump healthy looking pinks just hot and full of piss and vinigar so far. I think coho will fair quite a bit better than the pinks and i predict the coho run will make up for a somewhat-poor pink run this year. Good ocean conditions, coming from a solid run from 3 years ago and lack of major flooding that year should be good for returns. Pinks on the other hand had a major drought, and a ridiculously huge flood. But did have good ocean conditions. I imagine times will be tough until around mid/late sept.

I'm moving to BC...... I wish i had a nexus or a EDL........

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:58 pm

If you live up by the nook it wouldnt be too crazy to take a trip to bc to fish. My advise is come over, buy a couple flies/jigs at a tackle shop (sea run in coquitlam is a nice shop) ask where to catch pinks, they will tell you where to go... Ive been getting into double digit hook ups everyday except wednesday this week in river. Wednesday i didnt go.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:57 pm

I'm actually hesitant about coming up Jon, just for the fact that folks have been having slashed tires and broken windows and stolen gear.....

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:03 am

Thats never happened to me, but i dont fish the vedder either.

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:53 am

jonb wrote:Thats never happened to me, but i dont fish the vedder either.
I've been fishing the Vedder for 25 years and no problems. Just avoid the known problem areas (mostly jut one spot on the lower river).

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:24 pm

Going for a EDL next week, DOL sent DL renewal in the mail today.... Go figure right......

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:46 pm

dj2loud wrote:Going for a EDL next week, DOL sent DL renewal in the mail today.... Go figure right......
Nexus is worth the money and the effort. You get the "express lane" both ways at the border during peak hours, plus it also includes the TSA pre-check and other trusted traveler programs.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:23 pm

I was reading about the TSA pre check when getting my updated twic card for the refineries, its amazing they just don't include all of them for a smaller fee to add on, my twic was actually sent to me in less than a week... Went in for renewal in mt vernon on the 5th of july, had it in the mailbox on the 9th.....

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:39 pm

Like i said i don't fish the vedder, have only heard about break ins from others.

Where i fish a break in would most likely not occur. Ive never even heard of a break in there, nor have i seen evidense of a break in. One particular area would require a 50 km commute from the nearest town to get to.

Ive had no vehicle break in issues in bc and feel safer with my vehicle here than in washington. Especially when i used to fish the skykomish... Its really bad in places up there.....