Deming Wa / BNSF project Nooksack river

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dj2loud
Lieutenant

Deming Wa / BNSF project Nooksack river

Post by dj2loud » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Does anyone have information about the project that's taking place in deming wa? They have put up a gate and started clearing land where we used to be able to access the river... Guess another place is shot down to fish.....

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Re: Deming Wa / BNSF project Nooksack river

Post by Jakefish » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:35 pm

Hmmm, last time I was there I found two parking areas, one behind the bus barn and one further upstream maybe 1/2 mile. Where exactly is this project?

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:05 pm

just past the bus barn on the side street before highway 9, You cannot miss it, gate is bright yellow, and the area has been clear cut to some extent.... Im wondering if BNSF is moving coal cars/oil train thru sumas to help alleviate traffic on the burlington line moving north to BP and canada/.? I still have yet to make it to the bus barn....

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:48 am

That was one of my favorite spots as well. I have in the past talked to an older guy down there who told me what areas of the river bank you aren't suppose to drive on, since they are spawning grounds for salmon. He also said someone writes up fat tickets for those who do [blink] . I certainly hope that If they are taking the river access away it is to improve the ecosystem or habitat, rather than expanding the train tracks or building on a sensitive area of the river side.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Well it now looks like BNSF is going to re-align marshall creek and improve the levee system to meet the new 100 year floodplain requirement.... I have never seen this poster even though it clearly stated December 2016 posted.... You used to be able to drive over the tracks and go through the woods to the shoreline... Lost area for sure now.....
image2 (2).JPG
image1 (2).JPG
image3.JPG

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:03 pm

last time I took my Jeep through there we found a duck de-headed with its head stuck onto a stick in the ground. Used to be a decent amount of garbage and crap back there too, so maybe it's a good thing they are cleaning it up.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Stopped off today and spoke to a BNSF field superintendent over the project, said there will no longer be anyone allowed back in that area for at least 3 months or so, its apparently always been off limits to the public, 1 because of the trash and 2 because your not supposed to cross the tracks.... I stated that there has always been a stop sign there so why couldn't we cross? He said it didn't belong there.... Yeah ok..... Anywho the new marshall hill creek is being re-aligned with the river to provide a better access for salmon to spawn in accordance with ( with his hands in the air doing the quotations ) the state... He also stated the fish will have an easier time getting up a dry creekbed [scared] [scared] [scared] ......... More wasted money in his opinion.....