Im cursed with Springer fishing....

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dj2loud
Lieutenant

Im cursed with Springer fishing....

Post by dj2loud » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:54 pm

Im seriously contemplating hand grenades..... Today I was out on the river, ticket was mcfly foam january color, and I hooked 15 or more fish..... I have had 0 luck getting them even close enough to shore to net them..... Apparently the brads #4 and 1/0 are bending and have even had 3 break at the bend.... Bummed pretty bad and feel cursed right now...

Who makes good hooks anymore?

I played one of them bad boys for 25 minutes trying to get it close to shore but nope, snap !!!! again and again.......

spokey9
Captain

Re: Im cursed with Springer fishing....

Post by spokey9 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:08 pm

Try owner, never had one bend that shouldn't and the pro packs are about $13 at Cabela's. I was using Brad's after eagle claw discontinued the style I like and had a lot of hooks bending on me too. Only time I've bent an owner ssw is either when I'm hung up or during a desperate attempt at turning a king from heading round the bend, but any hook will either bend or break when I put that kinda pressure on it.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:06 pm

Gamakatsu - Octopus

Never an issue.

onmygame

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:11 pm

Onmygame wrote:Gamakatsu - Octopus

Never an issue.

onmygame
I agree but - not the red hooks. They bend easier. Nickel or black finish only. Size 2 to 1/0.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:24 pm

corky and yarn won the day....
eggs and sand shrimp not a single bite......
I know the feeling on turning and heading down stream full swim..... Nooks were crazy with the jumps and aerial aerobatics...... Gonna head down to cabelas on the way to seattle tomorrow.... Thanks for the info.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Ive been pretty unimpressed by most octopus hooks, but especially brads. Gamakatsu dropshot hooks are awesome for trout and kokanee, because the much finer/straighter tip and barb almost always gets full penetration right away. I have never used them for larger chinook salmon but cant wait to try the bigger sizes I just bought. I think that the finer wire could be an issue, but maybe the depth of penetration will prevent the straightening torque.??

They are way too expensive though, im always looking for a good alternative. The VMC SureSet Drop Shot Hooks I just received from hagens for 1/10th the cost of the gamakatsu drop shot hooks look promising.. (10c ea. vs $1 each).
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

mitch184
Angler

Post by mitch184 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:52 am

Sounds like you're in a smaller section of the system. If so, 50% landing ratio is about as good as you'll ever get in there. Heavy current, ideal water temps, hot fish, questionably hooked most times (lets be honest)

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:49 pm

There is no question about where hooked, when you see a blob in the water swim up and nearly rip your rod outta your hands taking a corkie and yarn you know its fight on..... There hasn't been a single foul hooked fish yet..... Not sure what your may be implying....

253Caster
Warrant Officer

Post by 253Caster » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:54 pm

Not biting eggs or sandshrimp, but chasing down corky and yarn? :^o

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:07 pm

scented heavy with craw and anise procure......

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:07 pm

253Caster wrote:Not biting eggs or sandshrimp, but chasing down corky and yarn? :^o
I thought the same exact thing.......

Craw and anise procure mix......

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:49 pm

Brads are terrible quality hooks. Simple as that. Springers aren't easy to land to begin with, but with brads they're gonna be worse, especially with Corky and Yarn. Even if the fish do bite Corky and Yarn, it's not gonna be as hard of a take as bait and they're not gonna be hooked as deep. Like others have said...Gami's and Owner(Cutting Point, not the needle point) hooks are probably the highest quality. More expensive yes, but they won't cost you as many fish. Invest in good hooks and you'll notice a difference.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:55 am

#2 owner "no escape hooks" barb is already pinched, they are my go-to hooks for salmon and steelhead if I'm not twitching jigs.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:51 pm

I'm glad I took some advice, went up to the river late yesterday and finally, finally landed a nice native king before the sun set, finding out that my lami isn't up to par with that fishery either, lost a really nice fish just shy of 20lbs at the shore... I was talking to a guy down there plunking, he asked me if i was trout fishing and laughed at me when i said nope, kings all the way.... I have a red line lami salmon/steelhead rod which he called a twig....... Who knew...... [blink] Next year it's game on......

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:31 am

dj2loud wrote:I'm glad I took some advice, went up to the river late yesterday and finally, finally landed a nice native king before the sun set, finding out that my lami isn't up to par with that fishery either, lost a really nice fish just shy of 20lbs at the shore... I was talking to a guy down there plunking, he asked me if i was trout fishing and laughed at me when i said nope, kings all the way.... I have a red line lami salmon/steelhead rod which he called a twig....... Who knew...... [blink] Next year it's game on......
That should be more than enough for a king lol Using bulkier tackle takes the fun out of it don't ya think? I use my 10'6 SST and 8-10lb leaders for kings, I haven't had any issues yet.

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:41 am

BlakeP wrote:
dj2loud wrote:I'm glad I took some advice, went up to the river late yesterday and finally, finally landed a nice native king before the sun set, finding out that my lami isn't up to par with that fishery either, lost a really nice fish just shy of 20lbs at the shore... I was talking to a guy down there plunking, he asked me if i was trout fishing and laughed at me when i said nope, kings all the way.... I have a red line lami salmon/steelhead rod which he called a twig....... Who knew...... [blink] Next year it's game on......
That should be more than enough for a king lol Using bulkier tackle takes the fun out of it don't ya think? I use my 10'6 SST and 8-10lb leaders for kings, I haven't had any issues yet.
It depends what kind of control you want over these fish. I broke one off on 15lb maxima because they tend to take roe deep and it doesn't take much raking across the teeth. That said, I have landed a 40 lb chinook in heavy water on 12 lb maxima leader. The key is side pressure - hold your rod downstream parallel to the bank and make them work against you sideways instead of pulling upstream - that just makes them pull downstream.

These fish are not leader shy, so there is no reason to go as light as 8 lb.

I do wish they would clip more than 50% of these fish though . . .

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:45 am

All I use is lighter tackle. Heavier tackle takes the fun out of it. I use a rod rated for 8-12lbs no matter what species of salmon I'm after on the river. Never had an issue. It also helps in detecting light bites. A lot of old timers think you have to use heavier rods but I disagree all the way. I do go a little bit heavier out on the sound.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:50 am

Jakefish wrote: It depends what kind of control you want over these fish. I broke one off on 15lb maxima because they tend to take roe deep and it doesn't take much raking across the teeth. That said, I have landed a 40 lb chinook in heavy water on 12 lb maxima leader. The key is side pressure - hold your rod downstream parallel to the bank and make them work against you sideways instead of pulling upstream - that just makes them pull downstream.

These fish are not leader shy, so there is no reason to go as light as 8 lb.

I do wish they would clip more than 50% of these fish though . . .
Depends on where you're fishing. Where I fish I'd say the fish are fairly leader shy when you can watch the kings move around heavier line, especially in low water conditions during the Spring-Early Fall. But I just use 8-10lb line more for fun as well as fishing for other Salmon and Steelhead in the same day. Still I'm just saying you don't need to use a heavy rod or 20-30lb line for kings.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:06 pm

The biggest factor in deciding whether to go to a heavier rod imo is the ability to get the fish in quick enough to prevent them from being totally exhausted. On the Cascade with all unclipped fish, it's important to get them in fairly quick so they can be released in the best condition possible. Personally I like the 10ft mag taper 8-17 certified pro for most of my salmon fishing, it's light enough to be fun on silvers and kings but there's enough backbone to stay in control of most fish and prevent total exhaustion of the fish.

Line ratings can be a bit misguided to judge a rod by in my experience. A better way is go by the action rating and how much backbone a rod has. I've had several rods that where rated 10-17 or 10-20 and there was no strength in the bottom half. Also seen plenty of 8-12 rods that had plenty of butt strength to pressure a big fish.

I've seen plenty of times where kings can be a bit line shy (especially in clear low water, but I predominantly run pline cxx 15lb main with a Maxima 12lb leader for kings. If I'm seeing them being line shy I'll switch up to a 20lb floro leader.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:37 pm

after debating AND procrastinating i bit the bullet, bought a cert pro lamiglas med/heavy rod and an ambassadeur 5500 c3 reel to go along with it... ( got 1 hell of a nice deal trading in my twig lami ) Going to hopefully hit the samish and possibly pull a few pigs out the water this fall.......