Planning A Salmon Trip

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
MattL
Angler

Planning A Salmon Trip

Post by MattL » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:00 pm

Hey guys. Total newbie here.

I live in California (sorry about that) and am planning a salmon fishing trip with a friend who lives in Sedro-Woolley. I'm a salmon guide up in Alaska some summers so know what I'm doing technically, but am flying completely blind when it comes to the fisheries in WA. My buddy has zero fishing experience so here I am asking for advice.

Basically, I would just like to get my friend on fish. Edible pinks would be totally adequate. I also have an affinity for C&R Chum fishing, and obviously if there are Coho in that area I'd like to meet them.

Any pointers on when and where I can find salmon in numbers big enough for my friend to get something on the bank? From what I gather, the lower Skagit is the best salmon fishery in the area.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Planning A Salmon Trip

Post by Amx » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:09 pm

Maybe your best bet would be to hire a local guide. As YOU know, knowing HOW to do it is one thing, knowing WHERE to do it is another.
Tom.

Interests: living

MattL
Angler

Post by MattL » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:42 pm

Absolutely, that would be the shortest distance between two points. Guides are pretty expensive though and we don't have a ton of money, so if I can get us part of the way there on my own that'll be preferable.

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:43 pm

I sent you a pm . . .

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:05 pm

The skagit can be tough fishing for anyone who has never fished it as it has lost of water to cover. Also while you have the chance of catching all five species some are off limits this year. I would recommend a different river depending on when you plan to come up here!! Pm if you want to know more

4n6fisher
Warrant Officer

Post by 4n6fisher » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:51 am

Depending on your timing the Snohomish/Skykomish may provide better options, lots of good bank access and it is not quite as large of a river as Skagit (think there are limited options on Skagit this year as well). Also there is the Samish, more like a big creek late August and Sept for Kings, combat fishing at the mouth, but you can get in the upper river in some spots and walk down.

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:50 am

To clarify, there is no scheduled opening for salmon on the Skagit this fall. The river closes on July 16 and doesn't reopen until December. No coho or pink fishing, period.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:50 pm

I agree that the snohomish/ skykomish drainage system would be better options. And jakefish is correct that the skagit will remain close this year unless they change it in the middle of the season but I seriously doubt that

Fishin'Daze
Petty Officer

Post by Fishin'Daze » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:28 pm

First I would try the Fred Myer River - limited ailse access - slowly walk around looking for Salmon. If no luck there wade down to the Cosco river - usually alittle crowded but has plenty of aisle access. Usually here you can find plenty of Salmon and if you get lucky maybe a Steelhead or two. Just Kidding had to have some fun. [thumbsup]

If you want to head south I would suggest the Nisqually river. I usually fish this river and do quite well for Kings and Silvers (the last few years the Silver run has really decreased) but still enough to keep it interesting. During the Pink years (every odd year) the Nisqually gets a decent run although not like some other rivers. Usually you can find some fishing room below the handicapp hole. The trick here is to use no more than 17 lb leader. (4-5ft.) Yeah 20 lb. works but I catch alot more using 17 lb. Small pink or red corkie/yarn combo with a couple of red beads below works well for me. Hope this helps and gives you another option. :salut:

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:45 pm

It largely depends on just what time of the year you both intend to be here.

You mentioned Pinks - which are typically an August fishery that spills into early September, and Chums, which never show up before late October in small numbers, then peaking out in November with a few early December stragglers.

Kings will run at the beginning of that window, and Coho will make their way into the rivers during the latter portion.

Might be best to plan on your species targeted based on the dates you will be here to fish, and the actual stream once some numbers start to come in. Perhaps map out 2 or 3 in a specific area, and be prepared to adjust as creel and fishing reports dictate.

Enjoy your stay.

onmygame