River opener!!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
riverhunter
Commander

River opener!!

Post by riverhunter » Wed May 31, 2017 3:17 pm

After last year's river opener delay im excited and anxious for tomorrows opener. Hope everyone that goes out has a safe and successful trip!! :salut: :salut: :salut:

G-Man
Admiral

Re: River opener!!

Post by G-Man » Wed May 31, 2017 3:46 pm

Just a FYI - double check the summer opening date on the rivers, some open on June 1st and some open on the first Saturday in June.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Wed May 31, 2017 4:09 pm

Thanks for the heads up but i'll be in an area that opens tomorrow chasing summer run steelhead! No secret where and most probably know where that will be

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:43 pm

I won't make the opener but I got my rods & gear bag ready for the weekend. Just hope I can find something shiny to play with :pirat:
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:00 am

Keep us posted on if you see any fish! Good luck out there!

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:38 pm

Didn't see a fish caught or hooked up. Water conditions were tough out there. Some of the highest water I've seen in years possibly ever. Water clarity wasn't to good either. Didn't fish the hatchery but decided to check it out and it seems that was the only place producing fish and only a handful were caught. I was downstream from hatchery past the rapids and didn't a single hookup. From past experiences I know the fish are in there I believe it was just hard for them see anything that didn't bump there noses.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:42 am

Thanks Riverhunter. I was going to try for some springers but I didn't even check the water levels until I read your post. Very high GMPs out there right now. Well I did get my eggs prepped but it'll have to wait a bit I suppose. Looks like Ill be bass fishing tomorrow now! I do know a few people I work with who actually prefer fishing 8000-10000gmp when fishing steelhead upriver near the hatchery, but not me... yet haha.
Thank again for the update and good luck out there!

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:16 am

Yea near the hatchery is good around that cfs but I don't like that combat fishing. Elsewhere it was moving fast. I personally like around 4500-6500

Blunatic
Petty Officer

Post by Blunatic » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:07 am

What river(s) opened? I can't find a reg book anywhere and I checked WDFW website and they only list 2016-17.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:47 pm

The 2016 -2017 regs are valid though the end of June 2017.

Blunatic
Petty Officer

Post by Blunatic » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Yes Thanks Gman I am aware of that, (not being snarky) but the dates can change from year to year on different rivers and no one mentioned what river opened...I was just asking because I didn't want to spend half an hour searching by date to figure out what opened. I live on the Puy which opens sometimes Aug 1st some times Sept 1st sometimes certain sections open the 15th etc... and the old regs don't cover that..

Blunatic
Petty Officer

Post by Blunatic » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:52 pm

Blunatic wrote:Yes Thanks Gman I am aware of that, (not being snarky) but the dates can change from year to year on different rivers and no one mentioned what river opened...I was just asking because I didn't want to spend half an hour searching by date to figure out what opened. I live on the Puy which opens sometimes Aug 1st some times Sept 1st sometimes certain sections open the 15th etc... and the old regs don't cover that..
By the location of members posting Im guessing its a river up north?

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Reiter ponds... gezz.... It seems like folks are so hell bent on " my river spot " they seem to forget it's A RIVER AND THERE ARE NO SECRET SPOTS AFTER A STORM.....

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:32 am

Yes it is reiter ponds or at least around that area as I don't fish reiter ponds but rather downstream from the madness as I don't like combat fishing. Not for me. Right now the whole skykomish is open!! Thought that would have been a given!!

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm

riverhunter wrote:Yes it is reiter ponds or at least around that area as I don't fish reiter ponds but rather downstream from the madness as I don't like combat fishing. Not for me. Right now the whole skykomish is open!! Thought that would have been a given!!
I'm gonna need GPS cords of the rock you fished on lol
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:01 am

By the way the skykomish from Reiter down to big eddy access opens every year on June 1st and the rest of the river on the first Saturday of June for steelhead of course and depending on salmon runs for hatchery chinook from the mouth of the Wallace down to the mouth of the skykomish. No secret there and never changes. Last year was the only case and time that I could remember it being delayed by the disagreements of the tribes and wdfw