Snoho/Sky/Wallace Open for Coho!!!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fisherman92
Lieutenant

Snoho/Sky/Wallace Open for Coho!!!

Post by fisherman92 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:08 am

October 10, 2016

Snohomish, Skykomish and Wallace rivers to open for coho salmon fishing

Action: Opens the Snohomish River, the Skykomish River downstream of the Wallace River, and the Wallace River to the fishing for coho salmon through Oct. 31.

Effective dates and times: Open to coho fishing Oct. 11 through Oct. 31. Night closure in effect (fishing is open from one hour before official sunrise to one hour after official sunset).

Species affected: Coho salmon.

Locations: Snohomish River (Snohomish County) from the mouth (Burlington-Northern Railroad bridges), including all channels, sloughs, and interconnected waterways, but excluding all tributaries, upstream to confluence of the Skykomish and Snoqualmie rivers.

Skykomish River from mouth upstream to the confluence with the Wallace River.

Wallace River from mouth (farthest downstream railroad bridge) to 200 feet upstream of the hatchery water intake.

Rules:

Night closure.

Anti-snagging rules apply.

Salmon, minimum size 12 inches, daily limit 2 coho only.

All species other than coho must be released. Catch and release of Sturgeon is allowed; when fishing for Sturgeon, all other Sturgeon Rules apply ? see page 14 of the Fishing in Washington Sport Fishing Pamphlet.

Reason for action: The rivers were originally closed to all fishing under a state and tribal co-manager agreement to protect coho salmon. The co-managers agree that the coho return is strong enough to support limited sport and tribal fisheries. The co-managers will continue to monitor this fishery and may make adjustments in the coming weeks.

Additional Information: The Skykomish River from the Gold Bar/Big Eddy access (Hwy. 2 Bridge) to the confluence of the North and South Forks remains open to fishing for trout (steelhead) and gamefish as described in a Sept. 28 Emergency Regulation.

Information contact: Region 4, Mill Creek Office, (425) 775-1311, ext. 0.

riverhunter
Commander

Re: Snoho/Sky/Wallace Open for Coho!!!

Post by riverhunter » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:35 pm

fisherman92 wrote:October 10, 2016

Action: Opens the Snohomish River, the Skykomish River downstream of the Wallace River, and the Wallace River to the fishing for coho salmon through Oct. 31.

Effective dates and times: Open to coho fishing Oct. 11 through Oct. 31. Night closure in effect (fishing is open from one hour before official sunrise to one hour after official sunset).

Locations: Snohomish River (Snohomish County) from the mouth (Burlington-Northern Railroad bridges), including all channels, sloughs, and interconnected waterways, but excluding all tributaries, upstream to confluence of the Skykomish and Snoqualmie rivers.

Wallace River from mouth (farthest downstream railroad bridge) to 200 feet upstream of the hatchery water intake.

Rules:

Night closure.

All species other than coho must be released. Catch and release of Sturgeon is allowed; when fishing for Sturgeon, all other Sturgeon Rules apply ? see page 14 of the Fishing in Washington Sport Fishing Pamphlet.

Reason for action: The rivers were originally closed to all fishing under a state and tribal co-manager agreement to protect coho salmon. The co-managers agree that the coho return is strong enough to support limited sport and tribal fisheries. The co-managers will continue to monitor this fishery and may make adjustments in the coming weeks.

Additional Information: The Skykomish River from the Gold Bar/Big Eddy access (Hwy. 2 Bridge) to the confluence of the North and South Forks remains open to fishing for trout (steelhead) and gamefish as described in a Sept. 28 Emergency Regulation.

I was hoping nobody posted this as the Wallace has been a melting pot for snaggers. Drove by today and all access areas were extremely packed beyond what I have seen before. 😞

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:50 pm

Well Its not a huge secret unfortunately, but yeah the Wallace has always been bad for Snaggers especially during Coho seasons... Im sure on the weekends itll be unfishable. I will most likely hit a few spots on the sky myself later this week after work and maybe this weekend... I would also hope that most people on this site are tactical & ethical fisherman.. but im sure the riff raff use the site as well for info.
Good luck out there if you find some open water.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:04 pm

That is categorically incorrect fisherman92. the wallace wasn't always infested with snaggers. There was a day and age before the internet broke river fishing when the wallace was mostly fished by ethical anglers rather than hordes of mouth breathing knuckle dragging flossing/snagging heathens. Now people come from far and wide to take part in the gong show. In my short 6 years in washington i saw it go from mostly ethical anglers to mostly non ethical anglers. Part of its undoing was caused by myself and others who posted our success online. That particular stream is WAY too small too blow up on the interwebs. Not all reporting is bad, it is when a river is as tiny and at max capacity like the wallace is. Im to blame for this in part. I reported on the wallace quite a bit. Now, in retrospect, i really really wish i hadn't. One of the few things i regret. Lesson learned, never again. Ill only post locations for large gongshow rivers or large lakes. I love helping others, but its not worth the seeing the scum keeping purposely snagged fish baligerantly with their 8ft leaders then high 5 each other after they bring their fish in backwards. Just remembering it makes me puke in my mouth a little... So glad im in bc now... The fools would get thrown in the river for that....
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:20 pm

jonb wrote:That is categorically incorrect fisherman92. the wallace wasn't always infested with snaggers. There was a day and age before the internet broke river fishing when the wallace was mostly fished by ethical anglers rather than hordes of mouth breathing knuckle dragging flossing/snagging heathens. Now people come from far and wide to take part in the gong show. In my short 6 years in washington i saw it go from mostly ethical anglers to mostly non ethical anglers. Part of its undoing was caused by myself and others who posted our success online. That particular stream is WAY too small too blow up on the interwebs. Not all reporting is bad, it is when a river is as tiny and at max capacity like the wallace is. Im to blame for this in part. I reported on the wallace quite a bit. Now, in retrospect, i really really wish i hadn't. One of the few things i regret. Lesson learned, never again. Ill only post locations for large gongshow rivers or large lakes. I love helping others, but its not worth the seeing the scum keeping purposely snagged fish baligerantly with their 8ft leaders then high 5 each other after they bring their fish in backwards. Just remembering it makes me puke in my mouth a little... So glad im in bc now... The fools would get thrown in the river for that....
Yes jonb that is what I speak of. Now fisherman92 not attacking you at all and by the looks its obvious that the word is out but there are those that were still uniformed and now that you posted this there will be those uninformed anglers that are now up to speed with this regulation. I believe that this stream needs to be held a little more secretive to those that are in the know by those that are not. Sure their is unethical fisherman that are informed but i was hoping to not get the word out to those that weren't especially given the small opportunity that wdfw has provided us
Last edited by riverhunter on Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:30 pm

Not attacking fisherman92 either, or it least i hope you don't take it that way. Im not blaming but interjecting my experience about this into the conversation.

dadamunky
Petty Officer

Post by dadamunky » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:59 pm

Yeah I wished over the years people would of remained tight lipped..Just to small of a creek to have the masses fishing it.

It's alright the game warden was in full effect this morning.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Its funny a direct example of how river fishing is affected by hot spotting (name dropping) is the wallace on my best day produced 5 legitimate hook ups on coho (on a good run year) midweek and was SUPER crowded. Now im fishing up here in a non hotspotted location, litterally getting 2 DOZEN hook ups per day, mostly in solitude. Its that big of a difference. The environment about sharing info is different. (with the exception of the vedder) name dropping rivers as small as the wallace is SUPER frowned upon by the locals. You just dont do it, and for that the rivers fish MUCH better. All the noobs and rif raf are contained to the known places because they just dont know any better and it takes time to find the good stuff. The only way to do so is to use your own two feet and a hearbeat and just figure it out up here. Thats how it should be. Its more challenging to find good water without gleaning info from the internets but its also more rewarding.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:55 pm

The best we can do now is hope not many read this but we all know how that goes

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:49 pm

Well... OK guys, seriously? This notice went out on the WDFW web site and to all that have the app that WDFW has put out to alert anglers to new reg updates.

It went out on the Seattle Times Outdoor section (anyone contact Mark Yuasa about that?) - how many thousands of views did that get?

It was all over various Facebook fishing groups. And I'm sure a few other places that I'm not aware of.

Meanwhile, this thread has had a total of 96 views and 4 members commenting. I guess I feel like I'm missing something...

The Wallace at the hatchery is a terminal fishery. The coho are intended to be caught by anglers. It's one of a few areas left to sport anglers that aren't netted 5 out of 7 days (Lake Washington, ouch). As such, maybe we should be happy that there's a spot that we won't see nets strung up from shore to shore.

The population in this state has doubled in the 25 years I've lived here. That may have a little bit to do with all the anglers you're seeing?

I can appreciate and understand your concerns about keeping small streams off the radar screen. But again, this is a terminal, hatchery supported fishery. Let's be more concerned and quiet about those few remaining hidden gems and worry about keeping them pristine.

In no way do I condone or forgive people keeping snagged fish, or fishing in unethical ways. jonb, I'm glad you've found a slice of angling paradise, enjoy it! [thumbup]

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:21 pm

Mike Carey wrote:Well... OK guys, seriously? This notice went out on the WDFW web site and to all that have the app that WDFW has put out to alert anglers to new reg updates.

It went out on the Seattle Times Outdoor section (anyone contact Mark Yuasa about that?) - how many thousands of views did that get?

It was all over various Facebook fishing groups. And I'm sure a few other places that I'm not aware of.

Meanwhile, this thread has had a total of 96 views and 4 members commenting. I guess I feel like I'm missing something...

The Wallace at the hatchery is a terminal fishery. The coho are intended to be caught by anglers. It's one of a few areas left to sport anglers that aren't netted 5 out of 7 days (Lake Washington, ouch). As such, maybe we should be happy that there's a spot that we won't see nets strung up from shore to shore.

The population in this state has doubled in the 25 years I've lived here. That may have a little bit to do with all the anglers you're seeing?

I can appreciate and understand your concerns about keeping small streams off the radar screen. But again, this is a terminal, hatchery supported fishery. Let's be more concerned and quiet about those few remaining hidden gems and worry about keeping them pristine.

In no way do I condone or forgive people keeping snagged fish, or fishing in unethical ways. jonb, I'm glad you've found a slice of angling paradise, enjoy it! [thumbup]
Mike we all know that is was published so that we get the chance to catch fish but how many snaggers actually read the seattle times or are registered to receive notifications from wdfw we also know that some anglers are uninformed of these resources. We are not saying to keep this to yourselves or attacking anyone for sharing info but with the little bit of time we had we didn't need another publication adding more and more pressure to the little stream and little time wdfw is giving us. To be quite frank this is all wdfw fault as in a normal year this TERMINAL fishery is spread over a 2 1/2 month course which also spreads the pressure on this river but this year is totally different thanks to wdfw decision. Also not all fish returning to the Wallace are hatchery origin and I have seen a huge number of wild fish in there before.In my opinion they should have never closed this TERMINAL fishery or better yet opened it as usual or at least at the same time the other fisheries were announced. With a lot of fish at the traps I can assure you that snaggers will be in full force trying to take fish illegally while some us do it the right way and that is all thanks to wdfw. Not fisherman92 or anyone that is ethically fishing on the Wallace. While these were the last river to announce that it was open some of us were hoping to keep at a lower profile so not to invite unwanted unethical fisherman. Sorry to rant and hope no-one feeling attacked and just showing my frustration which I should have probably just kept to myself lol. Either way I hope everyone enjoys their time in the water and may I wish every one luck out there

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:38 pm

I understand. Just trying to show, our little corner of the fishing community is pretty small. Let's legally get these fish and maybe with any luck the snaggers will snap their rods bringing the fish in sideways. =D>

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:57 pm

Mike Carey wrote:I understand. Just trying to show, our little corner of the fishing community is pretty small. Let's legally get these fish and maybe with any luck the snaggers will snap their rods bringing the fish in sideways. =D>

:cheers:
:salut:
:-"

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

jonb wrote:That is categorically incorrect fisherman92. the wallace wasn't always infested with snaggers. There was a day and age before the internet broke river fishing when the wallace was mostly fished by ethical anglers rather than hordes of mouth breathing knuckle dragging flossing/snagging heathens. Now people come from far and wide to take part in the gong show. In my short 6 years in washington i saw it go from mostly ethical anglers to mostly non ethical anglers. Part of its undoing was caused by myself and others who posted our success online. That particular stream is WAY too small too blow up on the interwebs. Not all reporting is bad, it is when a river is as tiny and at max capacity like the wallace is. Im to blame for this in part. I reported on the wallace quite a bit. Now, in retrospect, i really really wish i hadn't. One of the few things i regret. Lesson learned, never again. Ill only post locations for large gongshow rivers or large lakes. I love helping others, but its not worth the seeing the scum keeping purposely snagged fish baligerantly with their 8ft leaders then high 5 each other after they bring their fish in backwards. Just remembering it makes me puke in my mouth a little... So glad im in bc now... The fools would get thrown in the river for that....
I agree Jon but I wouldn't feel bad as your intensions ARE good and many of us have reported our success on the Wallace as it is at times very hot little river. There is no stopping the growth around here and when you have this many people in an area we are always going to see the dregs of society and unfortunately in this case the dregs of the fishing community. I'm not trying to minimize snagging as it makes my blood boil as well but what are we to do with the lack of any interest in this area where there is no LE to go after snaggers and inforce the regs. you gave freely of your skill and local knowledge to help other be successful fishermen, I will always respect you for that........and I like your fly's you tied for me.I hope you don't get too lonely up there catching all those fish In solitude, it sounds like tough duty. :salut:

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm

riverhunter wrote:
fisherman92 wrote:October 10, 2016

Rules:

Night closure.

I was hoping nobody posted this as the Wallace has been a melting pot for snaggers. Drove by today and all access areas were extremely packed beyond what I have seen before. 😞
I have to admit I felt the same way when I saw this.....

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:15 pm

I dont feel this site is the biggest contributor to the blow up of small streams. Youtube is way worse, and yes the wallace has LOTS of video... And its unfortunate. Facebook is a rough state of affairs too. I do regret adding to the internet hotspotting though, regardless of how small the impact actually is. There is no shame in posting some reports on fisheries that can handle added pressure (like the snohomish), but despite the terminal fishery LOTS of wild fish do spawn in the wallace including wild steel and wild salmon. Those fish are what i (was) concerned about. i understand the need to catch your share, especially on this particular year. A little discretion certainly couldnt hurt though, especially due to the population increases.

.... If it makes you guys feel any better ive kept 0 coho this year and 1 chum. Despite catching over 50 salmon in the last 14 days. All safely released, kept in the water on artificuals with barbless hooks. I buy my salmon at safeway for the most part.

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:17 am

jonb wrote:I dont feel this site is the biggest contributor to the blow up of small streams. Youtube is way worse, and yes the wallace has LOTS of video... And its unfortunate. Facebook is a rough state of affairs too. I do regret adding to the internet hotspotting though, regardless of how small the impact actually is. There is no shame in posting some reports on fisheries that can handle added pressure (like the snohomish), but despite the terminal fishery LOTS of wild fish do spawn in the wallace including wild steel and wild salmon. Those fish are what i (was) concerned about. i understand the need to catch your share, especially on this particular year. A little discretion certainly couldnt hurt though, especially due to the population increases.

.... If it makes you guys feel any better ive kept 0 coho this year and 1 chum. Despite catching over 50 salmon in the last 14 days. All safely released, kept in the water on artificuals with barbless hooks. I buy my salmon at safeway for the most part.
They have Safeway in Canada?
Looks like you are having a great time up there Jon. Semper Fi!

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:54 am

Yes they do!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:23 am

Buying salmon at Safeway?!?!? Ugh! :-& :-& :-&

Seriously, and not to argue with you jonb as you've been a good member of this site for a long time, why would you buy salmon when you're catching them? Are the coho you've been catching all wild? You've really caught my interest now! I'm seeing a thread hijack coming...

In some obtuse way I wonder, does buying salmon in a store encourage and support the commercial netting industry? Vs. sportsmen keeping their own catch?

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:47 am

Im not going to take anything personal here. We're here to discuss fishing are we not ? So lets discuss, no offense taken at all.

Yes most of my fish are wild, and honestly i havnt been buying much. I think i bought 1 sockeye filet around august. What ive mostly changed is my lifestyle. I just don't eat as much salmon as i used to.

As far as the commercial end of things its hard to say. At one end you have commercial fleets netting wild salmon which im not happy with. Then you have farmed salmon pens in the ocean causing disease which also hurts salmon runs. I dont think either helps anything. Im thinking i may just need to stop eating salmon altogether at some point. It would suck because i love salmon, i love salmon fishing more however.