Rain to open up rivers?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
KING KONG COHO
Petty Officer

Re: Rain to open up rivers?

Post by KING KONG COHO » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:08 pm

Saw all these emergency closures coming in mid June so I booked a late summer trip to SE AK to pound on the big Northern Coho! Just rolled in on Wednesday after limits of Coho everyday and saw what a trickle my home river the Stillaguamish was... Was as in past tense at the moment! Colored up nicely and it rose considerably after the recent rains too. I went as far as a Marine View Dr. drive-by to check conditions and looked up with nice flows!

$64,000 question to WDFW Mill Creek office minutes ago was : What is the criteria for removal the Emergency Closure?? Criteria? Never heard of it [confused] according to WDFW office worker. Asking again is it river flow or temp or both? Not a clue but was led to believe in a roundabout way the lifting is imminent(?) One can only hope as that old saying goes:
"I'm itching to get twitching" BTW I'll believe it when I see it!

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:11 pm

rained all day again today.. supposed to rain tomorrow with a possibility of a lightning storm. rivers should be brown and angry and puking up whole trees by then. how much rain do we need?
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

bassbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by bassbuzzer » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:14 pm

I'm thinking of a magic number....5000cfs for the sky. I mean come on!!!

KING KONG COHO
Petty Officer

Post by KING KONG COHO » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:50 pm

jonb wrote:rained all day again today.. supposed to rain tomorrow with a possibility of a lightning storm. rivers should be brown and angry and puking up whole trees by then. how much rain do we need?
I just want from WDFW the benchmark they will decide on for opening our rivers? HELLO!

bassbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by bassbuzzer » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:47 pm

Looks like this thread worked. Made the wdfw open the sky. HA!

oldguyfox
Petty Officer

Post by oldguyfox » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:08 pm

Sky is open from Sultan to the mouth.

bassbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by bassbuzzer » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:17 pm

oldguyfox wrote:Sky is open from Sultan to the mouth.
Where did you find this info? Do you know the exact location?

scraig1962
Petty Officer

Post by scraig1962 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:30 pm

They opened back up today. See here: http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/sep0215b/

bassbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by bassbuzzer » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:33 pm

I got that. But all it states is lower skykomish river. There has to be an exact location, I just dont see it listed anywhere.

scraig1962
Petty Officer

Post by scraig1962 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:40 pm

https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efis ... sp?id=1680

September 2, 2015

Reopen the Skykomish River below the mouth of the Sultan River

Action: Open the Skykomish River from the mouth upstream to the mouth of the Sultan River to fishing.

Effective dates: Sept. 2, 2015, until further notice.

Species affected: All fish species.

Location: From the mouth of the Skykomish to the mouth of the Sultan River. Rules:

Night closure and anti-snagging rules

Salmon, daily limit 3 plus 1 additional pink, release Chinook and chum. Trout, daily limit, 2, minimum size 14 inches. Dolly Varden/bull trout may be kept as part of trout daily limit, minimum size 20 inches.

Gamefish, statewide minimum size/daily limit.

Reason for action: Water temperatures have decreased and flows increased.

Additional Information: The Skykomish River from mouth of the Sultan River upstream to the Highway 2 Bridge in Goldbar (Big Eddy Access) remains closed to all fishing under an Emergency Rule issued July 17, 2015. The Skykomish River from the Hwy 2 Bridge in Goldbar (Big Eddy Access) upstream to the confluence of the North and South forks (area around Reiter Ponds) remains open as described in the Fishing Rules Pamphlet. Temperatures and flow are being monitored and additional sections of the Skykomish River may open.

Information contact: Jennifer Whitney, District 13 fish biologist, (425) 775-1311

bassbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by bassbuzzer » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:44 pm

perfect, thanks!

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:45 pm

Has anyone asked why the limit on the stilly is only 2 salmon? Every other year the pinks are running it's been 2 salmon plus an additional 2 pinks.

scraig1962
Petty Officer

Post by scraig1962 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:04 pm

My guess is the mud slide may have had an impact. The 2015 forecast for the stilly is about 200,000. 2013 forecast was around 400,000.

scraig1962
Petty Officer

Post by scraig1962 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:20 pm

Thats for pink salmon. Looks like the forecast is about the same for wild coho as 2014 at about 32,000, but 2014 hatchery coho forecast was 5,840 and 0 for 2015.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:27 am

scraig1962 wrote:https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efis ... sp?id=1680

September 2, 2015

Reopen the Skykomish River below the mouth of the Sultan River

Action: Open the Skykomish River from the mouth upstream to the mouth of the Sultan River to fishing.

Effective dates: Sept. 2, 2015, until further notice.

Species affected: All fish species.

Location: From the mouth of the Skykomish to the mouth of the Sultan River. Rules:

Night closure and anti-snagging rules

Salmon, daily limit 3 plus 1 additional pink, release Chinook and chum. Trout, daily limit, 2, minimum size 14 inches. Dolly Varden/bull trout may be kept as part of trout daily limit, minimum size 20 inches.

Gamefish, statewide minimum size/daily limit.

Reason for action: Water temperatures have decreased and flows increased.

Additional Information: The Skykomish River from mouth of the Sultan River upstream to the Highway 2 Bridge in Goldbar (Big Eddy Access) remains closed to all fishing under an Emergency Rule issued July 17, 2015. The Skykomish River from the Hwy 2 Bridge in Goldbar (Big Eddy Access) upstream to the confluence of the North and South forks (area around Reiter Ponds) remains open as described in the Fishing Rules Pamphlet. Temperatures and flow are being monitored and additional sections of the Skykomish River may open.

Information contact: Jennifer Whitney, District 13 fish biologist, (425) 775-1311

First Woo Hoo, but now WTF did they leave the upper portion of the sky closed? there is as much flow as the lower part....