Steelhead best fishing rod

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
gottidave
Petty Officer

Steelhead best fishing rod

Post by gottidave » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:28 pm

Hi guys

Planning my next fishing road purchase.

Was wondering, what is your favorite steelhead fishing rod?

I'm considering a 8'6" (already have some 9' 2")

Thanks in advance.

I heard of custom building / ordering your rod (how / where would you do that?)

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Steelhead best fishing rod

Post by BentRod » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:57 am

Need some more details:

Spinning or casting?

What kind of tackle are you planning to use with it (float/jig, spoons, drift fishing, etc.)?

To me an 8"6' always seems short, but there are places where that comes in handy, i.e. heavier tackle or brushy streams.
I like a 9'-10' rod for all Steelhead applications. Medium for spoons/spinners and medium/light for float/jig. Don't do a lot of drift fishing, but my spoon/spinner rod seems to work well for that too.

gottidave
Petty Officer

Post by gottidave » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:40 pm

Considering both spinning and casting

Thinking for drift fishing and spoons / spinners

Any suggestions would help, not very much decided on the exact direction will take this.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:30 am

I bought a Lamiglas 9'6" x-11 medium action spinning rod last season and it's been a great spoon/spinner rod. For that application I like something with a light enough tip to feel the action of the spoon, but with enough backbone to set the heavier hooks associated with spoons and spinners.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:05 pm

gottidave wrote:Considering both spinning and casting

Any suggestions would help, not very much decided on the exact direction will take this.
Whats your price range? I could give you a pretty good idea where to start depending on what your looking to spend. More $ means better quality, but theres also a certain point in which its not necessary to spend so much haha
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

hawkoath
Petty Officer

Post by hawkoath » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:15 am

Like the person said above. It really depends on your price range. I've listed some recommendations in each price range that you would find in stores. You might or might not get a better deal online, but after all my searching online I've come to realize that waiting for store deals is usually a better bet at places like Sportco. Others like Nork Fork Composite Rods you pretty much never see for sale anywhere. For Custom rod shops you can give them your specifications or tell them about the fishing conditions you face and they can give suggestions. But size of the rod really depends on the environment where you will be using it.
~$50-75: Berkeley Air IM8
~$75-100: Lamiglas X11
~$120-140: Lamiglas Redline Series
~$235-250: North Fork Custom Rods Working Man's Rod - http://www.northforkcustomrods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (North Fork Composite IM Blank) or you can try to find an used classic discontinued Sage somewhere online
~$350: North Fork Custom Rods Custom Rod w/ North Fork Composite HM Blank

Dan360
Petty Officer

Post by Dan360 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:10 pm

I prefer longer rods for float fishing (10 to 11 feet), shorter rods for throwing spinners and twitching jigs (8 to 8'8") and something in between for drifting. If I had to have a do-it all rod, it would be my 9'8" 6-12# G.Loomis spinning rod with Shimano Stradic 2500. It loads up well enough for light float rigs and has enough azz to whip a chum.
There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind. ~Washington Irving

denhambruce
Petty Officer

Post by denhambruce » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:21 pm

Go for the aforementioned North Fork Custom. Mainly because they're made from a North Fork Composites blank. Better than anything the big name companies are putting out presently.

oaksmithiii
Angler

Post by oaksmithiii » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:16 pm

Lamiglas Redline Series I think 6-12 but would be a good choice !!!

Lifetime warranty !!!!

gottidave
Petty Officer

Post by gottidave » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:12 pm

RiverChromeGS wrote:

Whats your price range? I could give you a pretty good idea where to start depending on what your looking to spend. More $ means better quality, but theres also a certain point in which its not necessary to spend so much haha
Price range is flexible. Would be willing to spend over $300 for something I would love along the way.

Do you get lifetime warranty with the North Fork custom rods?

thank you

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:40 pm

get yourself a 5 eyelet shakespeare combo for $15 and line it up with the cheapest wal mart mono you can find in 50lb test, then rig up a skokomish sunrise, very sparsly tied, with extra lead, and your ready to rock and roll with the big dawgs.. bonus points if its camo.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:40 am

jonb wrote:get yourself a 5 eyelet shakespeare combo for $15 and line it up with the cheapest wal mart mono you can find in 50lb test, then rig up a skokomish sunrise, very sparsly tied, with extra lead, and your ready to rock and roll with the big dawgs.. bonus points if its camo.
Ha Ha [flapper]

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:49 am

Fetha Styx, Edge, Lamiglas, Loomis, NFC are all good.
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

Big-Fish91
Petty Officer

Post by Big-Fish91 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:56 am

I like a fetha Styx home water or chrome steelhead.

lumpdog005
Petty Officer

Post by lumpdog005 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:07 am

I like my old 7' wright and mcgill steelie paired with a mitchell 410 reel. But the $15 walmart special is the cheapest way to get out and catch some fish now!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:52 am

http://www.edgerods.com/product/float-1 ... widow-spin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The best steelhead rod. You asked, this is the answer.

hawkoath
Petty Officer

Post by hawkoath » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:33 am

gottidave wrote:
RiverChromeGS wrote:

Price range is flexible. Would be willing to spend over $300 for something I would love along the way.

Do you get lifetime warranty with the North Fork custom rods?

thank you
You do get a lifetime warranty.

hawkoath
Petty Officer

Post by hawkoath » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:38 am

Yeah never used an Edge Salmon / Steelhead rod, but have their bass rods. The blank is quality, but their workmanship left a lot to be desired for such an upper range rod.

You get the same blank in the North Fork Custom rod and you get to select the components and really get involved and even stay there and see the rod building process if you have the time. Plus it's a lot cheaper as well. Quality, convenience, price.

simms4life
Angler

Post by simms4life » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:39 am

Sage 3106 lb ... Love mine 13'3