Tapioca disease?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ResQ
Commander

Tapioca disease?

Post by ResQ » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:32 pm

So, I caught 2 silvers today and BOTH had this stuff in their meat! I was bummed. What exactly is this stuff and what can anyone tell me about it? Google searches were pretty vague.

schu7498
Commander

Re: Tapioca disease?

Post by schu7498 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:50 pm

Myxozoan parasites. They are more common in salmon species that spend more time in freshwater as juveniles. The fishes body encases the parasite forming the white puss pockets. If the fish fillet is left unfrozen for 24hrs the white capsules break down releasing parasite enzymes that break the meat down extremely fast. Harmless to humans but should be frozen or cooked. Not much is known about the parasites life cycles.

Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Post by Bmastro777 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:46 am

curious what river you pulled the fish out of? I run into these occasionally...I cant stomach it so the fish become fertilizer.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:57 am

On the cow. A couple other guys got the same that were fishing with us.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:01 am

I can understand releasing the ones that have visible bumps on their skin, but mine were dime bright and smooth. No way to tell until I filleted them. How can you tell in that case??

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:14 am

There are two different species of parasite. The ones in the meat are myxozoan. The visible bumps are a different species. I am unsure if it is myxozoan as well. But the visible ones live only under the scales and do not get in thr meat. Sometimes the salmon can have both but most of the time they have one or the other. Cowlitz fish seem to have it bad this year. You can imagine how heartbreaking it is to fillet a 15lb springer only to find it infested.

Cascadian
Petty Officer

Post by Cascadian » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:12 pm

Strange, I have never seen it in a chinook.. but many times in coho. It seems to affect wild and hatchery fish. From my observations, fish caught in the rivers of Puget Sound have had it much more than fish from Gray's harbor or the coast. I have never found a coastal fish with it. Also, I have never caught a fish out of the saltwater that had it either. Makes me wonder if the pus pockets only become visible when they get back to freshwater?

jumpinjim
Petty Officer

Post by jumpinjim » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:47 pm

I can't say this with certainty because I am no biologist or involved with Farm studies but from those I have talked to and the reading I have done, I would not be surprised to see a link between migration routes of salmon that come within close proximity of Farm Pen Operations and the increase of this problem.

There have been studies in BC on this but I doubt that the US would allow any rights group to make wake over the subject unless an increase in pre-mortality rates were to spike and cause enough public concern.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:09 pm

On the Cow, I've only seen the skin bumps this year. Haven't had any of the white balls in the meat...but I have seen it in fish I've caught in Westport and the Kalama this year.

Just freeze your fillets before cooking. Which should be common practice anyways, especially in freshwater.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:32 pm

No real point in freezing before cooking, if you are going to cook it. I read that it is safe for humans to eat, but I am still passing. Same with the skin bump salmon. The couple that the guys caught were very "bumped" up. Those go back. Just sucks that you cant find out that it has it in the meat until you fillet them out! [thumbdn]

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:29 pm

I freeze all my fish for at least 48 hrs before doing anything with it.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:20 pm

Eh, to each their own. I can see freezing for storage, but if you cook it properly and dont just cut straight sashimi, the heat alone will kill off anything nasty. Better than freezing will [thumbup] But with this stuff, Freezing and cooking will not take away the visual nastiness [thumbdn]

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:21 pm

Its pretty hard to beat cooking up some cedar plank salmon with the days catch! Fresh as it gets! [thumbsup]

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:54 pm

I really don't think cooking to temp is as effective as freezing. Unless you cook the crap out of it.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:38 pm

Unless you under cook your food, cooking your food to the proper temp is best.

jumpinjim
Petty Officer

Post by jumpinjim » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:00 pm

You can always add a crumble of fresh Mozzarella, blue or cottage cheese on top of the fillet. I know it won't work with all recipes but it should make it pretty hard to tell what is the pussy stuff vs cheese. Not sure I have ever done a cheesy salmon ... could be kinda good. no probably not but it's better than having a mouth full of puss.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:09 pm

[blink]

Cascadian
Petty Officer

Post by Cascadian » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:40 pm

jumpinjim wrote:You can always add a crumble of fresh Mozzarella, blue or cottage cheese on top of the fillet. I know it won't work with all recipes but it should make it pretty hard to tell what is the pussy stuff vs cheese. Not sure I have ever done a cheesy salmon ... could be kinda good. no probably not but it's better than having a mouth full of puss.
They come with cottage cheese already in them! [blink]

geekgiant
Petty Officer

Post by geekgiant » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:20 pm

This thread has me rethinking my practice of "snacking" on salmon sashimi while filleting...

KR58
Petty Officer

Post by KR58 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:23 pm

Interesting I've never seen it before. I don't know of any fish diseases that are transferable to humans but it still sounds gross. Cooking to temp is always good because there are bacterias that will survive freezing, and I don't think it would be transmitted horizontally through the eating of parent carcasses because carcasses are typically long gone when fry begin consuming food.