Whats condidered a blow out?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
cosme9242
Angler

Whats condidered a blow out?

Post by cosme9242 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:38 am

How many cfs? The Green was at 840 and rising at 11am but I'm not sure what would be considered a blow out that would turn fish off. Also would like to know also if the same cfs on the Puyallup would be a blow out or would it vary from river to river?

skagit510
Lieutenant

Re: Whats condidered a blow out?

Post by skagit510 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:14 pm

To quote terry silver from karate kid three..... A fish cannot bite of it cannot see.

Visibility is the key. A high flow is fine with visibility. You will have to inspect for yourself. I consider six inches visibility on the edge of blown. I would say on one of the rivers you mention that people catch fish during zero visibility are snagging them. Snagging some in the mouth but still snagging none the less.

chongo469
Commander

Post by chongo469 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:44 pm

even in blown out "Chocolate milk " water, you can still catch fish... plunking a large bait or sitting on anchor with plugs will hook fish. i do not think your snagging if your rod is in a rod holder...... Fish closer to shore and as fish move into the slots, they will run into your bait.....

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:40 pm

chongo469 wrote:even in blown out "Chocolate milk " water, you can still catch fish... plunking a large bait or sitting on anchor with plugs will hook fish. i do not think your snagging if your rod is in a rod holder...... Fish closer to shore and as fish move into the slots, they will run into your bait.....

Agree, plunking and plugs are legit. Scent and vibration help fish locate your offering. Also you are correct in that fish often travel the edge on high water. It's slower and clearer.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:29 am

There is no set cfs or gauge height across the board to consider a river "gone" because all drainages are different. The trick is to know the systems that your frequent and watch the gauges often to learn when the ideal times are to go, and when it's better to stay home and weight it out.

As stated, I think vis is more important than velocity (cfs), so knowing what the vis is like is key. Although I frequently catch fish out of the mud.

cosme9242
Angler

Post by cosme9242 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:11 am

Thanks for the info guys, I do appreciate it. Been river fishing on and off for about 15 years and I've learned a lot from this forum. I used to fish the Puyallup a lot but hate yarn fishing let alone doing it in zero visibility water.

Yesterday I hit a number of holes on the Green and the water was very clear for all the rain we had but still managed to get another silver by casting a wedding ring.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:24 pm

This has been an "off" year for many Puget Sound rivers. There are plenty of fish in the rivers, but temps have been so warm, and water has been low and clear, so they haven't been interested in biting much of anything. I was just on the Green this morning and it was terrible. Flow is fine, fish breaking the surface to let me know they are there...but that's all the action they gave me. Typical for the Green so far this season. There are much more productive rivers...but they all entail driving a couple hours away. Luckily my crew of fishing buddies all pile into my rig and we split the gas bill.