Favorite muddy water setup!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
steelseeker
Petty Officer

Favorite muddy water setup!

Post by steelseeker » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:55 pm

Just wondering what you guys like to use with 6 inches or less visibility?I would say bait,plugs,spoons and spinners.With days like these to come and lots of fish with these conditions just good to put these sometimes not often techniques on the mind.

steelseeker
Petty Officer

Re: Favorite muddy water setup!

Post by steelseeker » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:55 pm

Springer Jerry wrote:Plunking is your best bet. With 6" vis also comes lots of debris and leaves in most situations.
Ya I was on the stilly today, hooked my girlfriends pole up with a plunking setup and casted a #5 vibrax.I did see a nice fish jump right next to the setup I thought she hooked up for a second but just close.

chongo469
Commander

Post by chongo469 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:50 pm

I like a plunking set up myself but on a river where no bait or scent , it is tough..... Just remember... when water is high and dirty, fish close to shore as there is less silt at the waters edge..... a big fat plug worked down a deeper seem right next to shore will get them....

kwillie28
Angler

Post by kwillie28 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:59 am

Noise is the key. I prefer spinner (big ones, #4 or #5) because the noise and vibration of the blades has a much bigger attraction radius than does the color in really dark water. Plugs bouncing on the bottom has a similar effect. On the Stilly, if your plunking, you need to use something that they will notice, spin-n-glo or flatfish I think works best.

The other part of fishing dark water is contrast. I don't think the color is as important as the contrast of colors on your lure. The darker the water, the more the contrast. Black body with silver blade, yellow blade with red body, green with orange, blue and silver, etc... Conversely in clear water, you want complementary colors like copper with silver, dark blue with dark green, black with copper, etc.

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:08 am

mag lip and a 18 pack of Ranier