June 1st Opener

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
DannyL
Captain

June 1st Opener

Post by DannyL » Sun May 18, 2014 10:19 am

So I have been looking around for info of fish counts from past spring Chinook openers and I cant find much. I have friends going to cascade on the 1st but I work which is ok with me as I will be going to Sky on the 2nd. I know the techniques and all that, some holes that I have heard of but my main question is how many fish are usually caught the first couple of days of the season? Ive had people tell me theres no fish then others tell me theres usually fish caught. May start at the ranch hole on the sultan then if nothing doing head to reiter for steelhead. Also has anyone had luck with nightmare worms on Sky?
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

rcthepirate
Lieutenant

Re: June 1st Opener

Post by rcthepirate » Sun May 18, 2014 10:48 am

It really depends on the year. Last year the fish were in right away. In years past we've seen the fish show up in significant numbers more toward the end of june. Check the hatchery escapement reports on the WDFW website, they'll tell you what you need to know.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sun May 18, 2014 10:55 am

Thanks RC! Appriciate the info man.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun May 18, 2014 11:36 am

Check the reports of fish caught in the salt. That's a good indicator of how many fish are running through. Make a trip out to the Wallace hatchery to see who's home.

Regardless, fish it, the river is open! I know I'LL be catching them.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sun May 18, 2014 11:39 am

Nate Ill be fishing June 2nd, Hope they are in sultan or sky.