New to Steelhead and looking for guidance.

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Nuts
Petty Officer

New to Steelhead and looking for guidance.

Post by The Nuts » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:06 pm

Well I've been living here in the city of Snohomish for 6 years now and finaly, at the tail end of coho season (end of Oct), I jumped into the fishing scene. All I can say is..... WOW WHAT TOOK ME SO LONG AND NOW I'M HOOKED (pun intended). My poor wife hasn't seen me on the weekends since then and now everyone at Cabela's practically knows me by name!

Now to the reason for the post. I'm really eager to continue the fun of fishing our great river system here by diving into the winter steelhead season. Other than reading up on the forms here (and NateTreatFishing.com) I have NO CLUE WHAT TO DO! Is there anyone out there that is willing to take a fellow angler out on the rivers and show em the ropes. I can spring for gas money and purchase any required bait for the both of us. I've already purchased my basic gear (waders, boots, ect) so I think I'm ready to go. Just need some guidance! Let me know.

Thanks all!

~TN

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: New to Steelhead and looking for guidance.

Post by natetreat » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm glad that my site actually gets read! That's awesome. I'm sure someone on here will show you the ropes. For your first fish, look to the terminal areas of the fisheries. The Snoqualmie will start up here in a bit, and the Skykomish will be quick to follow. Get some 1/4 and 1/8 jigs, floats and tie up some bait loops. Collect some chum eggs from the Green and cure them up in Pro Cure and borax. Keep an eye on the hatchery counts on WDFW and get ready to catch steelhead.

The Nuts
Petty Officer

Post by The Nuts » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:41 pm

Hay Nate!! Thanks for the input. I'll start working on those tips.

ragibby
Petty Officer

Post by ragibby » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:54 pm

i am kinda in the same situation. Ive fished pinks every season sense i was 8 years old (now 24) and this is my first season fishing for anything else besides pinks. My best advice would be to get out there and get your line wet. You cant catch fish if your lines not in the water. And also read and research as much as you can. I went 6 weeks without even having one bite. Then all of a sudden my patience paid off and i caught some fish. 2 weeks ago I landed my first steelhead in my life. It felt good to have all my patience and research pay off and im sure your time will come.

But just get out there. Enjoy the scenery and enjoy being out in nature. Thats the only thing that kept me sane going 6 weeks without a bite. And not to metion,the worst day of fishing still beats the best day at work. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Good luck out there [thumbup] [thumbup]

The Nuts
Petty Officer

Post by The Nuts » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:45 pm

This thread can be deleted... Anyone know how to do that. or does in have to be a mod.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:29 pm

only a mod or admin can delete it, why would you want it deleted? Now I'll have to read it to figure it out. [laugh]
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:31 pm

I figure that there is no need to delete it, some other new person should be able to use the info. :-k
Tom.

Interests: living

The Nuts
Petty Officer

Post by The Nuts » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:58 am

The only reason I suggested it was because I got my answer. I've been on other forms (Mini Cooper forms [thumbup]) where they liked to tidy up by removing posts that had been answered or had no action on them for some time. Didn't know if it was like that here or not. Just a suggestion. :)