Stay safe on the Puyallup today! Or better yet, stay home!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
mizm05
Commander

Stay safe on the Puyallup today! Or better yet, stay home!

Post by mizm05 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:40 am

So I was out there (stupidly), last Thursday when we got that heavy rain, and the discharge was 3600 cubic ft per second, and I almost washed away a couple times!

Now I check the USGS website every time before I go out.

Well, this morning I checked when I woke up, was already at 3850...checked again at 9am and it's shot up to 4810! Well just checked again a minute ago and it's at 5150! Do not go out there! My buddy just went and scouted and he said there are full size trees washing down the river. He said there were still some guys wading out...which I personally think is retarded right now.

A fish isn't worth your life...just give the river a couple days and it will come back into shape.

STAY SAFE!!!!!

Here is the website that gives you the most current discharge rate. Anything below 2500 is great with no worries. Start getting above 2500, and definitely anything over 3000, and you're getting into dangerous territory.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis/uv/?s ... 0060,00065

woady
Petty Officer

Re: Stay safe on the Puyallup today! Or better yet, stay ho

Post by woady » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:45 am

Drowning in the puke would be a horrible way to go. Hoping the water washes away some of the stink.

gonnahookit
Lieutenant

Post by gonnahookit » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:27 pm

woady wrote:Drowning in the puke would be a horrible way to go. Hoping the water washes away some of the stink.
Hope so too.

Walked out with a limit before it got too bad this morning. 2 silvers and 2 pinks. Yes, they were silvers.

Saw lots of stuff floating down, small branches, big logs, basketballs, millions of corkies, gatorade bottles, a full bag of garbage...

Had a nice little cubby with barely enough room to cast, and just out of the heavier current. Still got backed up to the bank, as the water came up a foot and a half in 3 hours.

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:35 pm

As I was fishing today, the cops were down at the river. Dudes across the river from us, shouted about the cops looking for a dead body. Very scary.
On a lighter note, the fishing was incredible. The water was only mid-thigh high where I was at, and the 8 people in the line caught limits of big bright silvers. Very few pinks hooked.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:01 pm

I dont fish down that way, but its good you posted this. some crazy stuff can happen when it rains like that. The skagit rose from 4400 cfs to 9000 cfs today in a matter of hours and i was dodging whole trees floating down. Good post, dont want to see anyone hurt~
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

gonnahookit
Lieutenant

Post by gonnahookit » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Heard about the body at work tonight. News says they believe its a rafter that disappeared saturday. A bit freaky thinking it could of been me finding it.

bcustom1
Petty Officer

Post by bcustom1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:44 pm

I was out today and completely agree, everything is underwater. I found a spot I could fish where I had trees upstream of me blocking anything major from traveling into my path and was only up to my knees in eddy-like, slow back-current. In the main river 50ft out from me, though I saw entire trees coming down, garbage cans, recycling loads, tires, gear, what looked like a load of fishing supplies, etc. Scary stuff. And when I say I saw trees coming down, I mean trees. Like entire, uprooted trees. And 4 or 5 of them. Also saw many 10 - 20ft long branches and chunks of wood moving swiftly down the river as well. It's fishable, but the number of safe spots out there are very limited. Stay safe!