Drift Boat Input

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Drift Boat Input

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:04 pm

So, those of you who own and know a thing or 2 about drift boats, i need some professional opinions. Right now i am for sure getting a brand new Guide Drift Boat for around $ 10,000. Now, i have the option of getting ALUMINUM or FIBERGLASS. now, i know a thing or 2 about this, but not all i need to know to make a decision. I am going to use this boat a lot, its gonna get a lot of use, and probably get dinged up a bit. I will be fishing rivers like the skagit, nooksack, sky and stilly around here, and Definitely fishing the sol duc, bogachiel and Hoh on the coast. These kinds of rivers...

So, anyone who can give me some pros and cons of each, what they think would be best for my first drift boat, its gonna be a nice brand new boat, let me know your input boys! \\http://guidedriftboats.com/
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Drift Boat Input

Post by Bodofish » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:05 am

Pavati. The only boat with a door in the side. Easy in easy out makes for more clients. Check them out and you will see.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

BNRSteel
Petty Officer

Post by BNRSteel » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:27 am

Hey Danny,

Pavati is way overpriced for the product and the door is not needed. Especially if you plan on doing the Duc, it's a boat eater and that door is asking for problems. Glass vs. Metal? I would go glass with the Guide Boats. I have rowed quite a few boats and the best tracking most durable glass boat I've found is the Guide. I've rowed Hydes, Clacks, Willies and Lavro.

The plus to a great tracking glass boat is it will draft less water in the summer making those mid summer drifts less of a drag, literally and in the winter it will still track for plugs and divers. They are crazy stout boats, I currently run a Hyde and the big problem with metal, especially when you run it on rocky rivers like the Duc is the hull will begin to tunnel trust me on this one. If you bang up the chines and hull on a glass boat you can always reglass it. I would go Glass man, if you have any more questions PM me and I can send you my number and we can chat about it.

Ben

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Sweet, thanks Ben, I just ordered the 16 foot northwest glass, CANT WAIT TO GET IT!

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:57 pm

we have a 17ft koffeler alluminum and it is great on the skagit, should have got a used drift boat off craigslist though a lot cheaper, lots of nice ones too but I look at the guide elite everytime I go to defiance and he made it sound like it is more of a plug pulling boat but the feature of have the seats rotating and the higher seat for the guide rowing is a nice addition but make sure you get a front anchor too, it is nice that the boat does not swing around.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:25 pm

One thing I would like to point out for any type of boat or usage. Fiberglass is not water proof nor are any of the resins used in it's production. So when anyone talks about repairs, please note that NO repairs are permanent and the more time a fiberglass boat sits in the water, the more water is absorbed. Gel coat is pretty water resitant and that's why it's used on the outside. Breach the gel coat and water is on it's way in. You can heat and dry and solvent and what ever but you can never get all the water out. So glass and rocks = bad juju. I know many glass boat mfg's warranty their products for life, a warranty is just and insurance policy, nothing more, nothing less. For work boats that knocked around on a daily basis, like costruction skiffs or log skiff for the rodeo, steel or aluminum, they do not absorb water.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:43 pm

If it were me, I'd go with a raft or cataraft, but I'm just weird that way... [razz]
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:If it were me, I'd go with a raft or cataraft, but I'm just weird that way... [razz]
haha either that wait a couple years and buy a nice wooldridge sled than you do not need to worry about glass or alluminum haha.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:51 pm

There are so much more opportunities to catch steelhead especially with a DB now. What are my options in a sled... Cowlitz like thats it. Lol. Much more opportunity for steelies with a drift boat. Fiberglass is much easier to handle and it being my first boat its gonna be a lot easier to learn tougher rivers. Just cant beat it up too much

bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Post by bassplayer17 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:15 pm

fishenfreak wrote:There are so much more opportunities to catch steelhead especially with a DB now. What are my options in a sled... Cowlitz like thats it. Lol. Much more opportunity for steelies with a drift boat. Fiberglass is much easier to handle and it being my first boat its gonna be a lot easier to learn tougher rivers. Just cant beat it up too much
It so much more personal......Good choice...
Last edited by bassplayer17 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught....

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:29 pm

Bodofish wrote:One thing I would like to point out for any type of boat or usage. Fiberglass is not water proof nor are any of the resins used in it's production. So when anyone talks about repairs, please note that NO repairs are permanent and the more time a fiberglass boat sits in the water, the more water is absorbed. Gel coat is pretty water resitant and that's why it's used on the outside. Breach the gel coat and water is on it's way in. You can heat and dry and solvent and what ever but you can never get all the water out. So glass and rocks = bad juju. I know many glass boat mfg's warranty their products for life, a warranty is just and insurance policy, nothing more, nothing less. For work boats that knocked around on a daily basis, like costruction skiffs or log skiff for the rodeo, steel or aluminum, they do not absorb water.
There are quite a few modern epoxy sealers that can be used in marine fiberglass applications that are waterproof. It just depends on what the boat manufacturer uses, or that you can do yourself in an application that will not void a warranty on your boat. Polyester resins are not waterproof and neither are Vinylester resins, but there are fiberglass compatible epoxy resins and sealers like Coat It by Tap Plastics (which is Kevlar reinforced), Gluvit by MarineTex, AeroMarine 300/21, and several others from various manufacturers. The problem with them is they are usually susceptible to UV exposure and must be painted, and some are rather thick resulting in a coating depth of about 10mil. The epoxy resins have come along way as many were developed for carbon composites and adapted well to fiberglass.
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:36 pm

Thats why i chose the guide series from defiance sniper, i looked at a lot of boats but their northwest glass has great reviews for strength and durability

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:04 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:If it were me, I'd go with a raft or cataraft, but I'm just weird that way... [razz]
I bet i could get a damn good raft for the price of this freakin boat

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:40 pm

fishenfreak wrote:There are so much more opportunities to catch steelhead especially with a DB now. What are my options in a sled... Cowlitz like thats it. Lol. Much more opportunity for steelies with a drift boat. Fiberglass is much easier to handle and it being my first boat its gonna be a lot easier to learn tougher rivers. Just cant beat it up too much
try the skagit bro, with a sled you can go up past the bridge if you really want to and keep hitting all of the holes up there over and over again, during the salmon season a handful of sleds would do that everyday.
Chehalis, cow, satsop, skykomish, snoqualmie, snohomish are just some more examples and wooldridges can go shallow, real shallow from personal experience like 10 inch deep water shallow. As a first boat I would get a cheap small one just to learn but your call I do not really care but congrats on the boat purchase as long as it keeps your cascade fish killing to a minimal I am fine just make sure some actually reach cascade alright... [thumbup]

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:45 pm

fishenfreak wrote:
I bet i could get a damn good raft for the price of this freakin boat
You'd be surprised, rafts are spendy too. Looked into it and if you're getting one that can guide two clients comfortably with the bells and whistles, you're not going to be saving much money.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:36 pm

Hey Danny congratulations, you'll have a blast with the new boat. I would recommend doing a float with a local guide before shooting the OP waters. A good investment for both yourself and your clients.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:38 pm

My drift boat is coming in close to 10,000$. Spendy i know, but i want something brand new. Kind of a thing i have, not a fan of used stuff

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:39 pm

rseas wrote:Hey Danny congratulations, you'll have a blast with the new boat. I would recommend doing a float with a local guide before shooting the OP waters. A good investment for both yourself and your clients.
Yep, im planning that now. Wouldnt go for it without knowing the drift. Those rivers eat drifters

kromekrusher
Petty Officer

Post by kromekrusher » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:56 pm

fishenfreak wrote:My drift boat is coming in close to 10,000$. Spendy i know, but i want something brand new. Kind of a thing i have, not a fan of used stuff
How does a college student afford a ten thousand dollar drift boat? I dont understand. Seems like the equavalent of a gent like myself picking up a Masarati off the lot in Bellevue.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:14 pm

If it's your first DB you better go tin. Unless you like ruining your brand new glass boat.