Puyallup River Access Closed

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Puyallup River Access Closed

Post by Jerry H » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:43 am

I have not seen anything posted on this, if there was and I missed it I'm sorry for the repeat. I was down in Sumner and thought I would check out the Puyallup river below where the White and Puyallup come together on the Cannery side. The old gate where we used to walk in at to get to the pilings and gravel bar down river has been replaced by a big blue gate and improved gravel road. On the gate is a this sign-

"NO TRESPASSING, NO DUMPING, NO PARKING - VIOLATORS WILL BE PROSECUTED - THIS IS PIERCE COUNTY FLOOD CONTROL PROPERTY AND IS CLOSED TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC - WE APPRECIATE YOUR COOPERATION PHONE: (253) 798-2725"

On an off year I would guess this will close access to easily 100 combat fishermen and on a pink year 200 or more a day on weekends. This is one of the better fishing holes (at least for me). I drove around to the other side, access is still open on the walking trail but none of the drifts work well from that side. Sure will miss this place. It will put that much more pressure on already crowded access points.](*,)

hottshott206
Petty Officer

RE:Puyallup River Access Closed

Post by hottshott206 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:35 am

thats crazy one of my favorites holes on the river. thats the first stretch of the puke i ever fished when i first started fishing there. might have to give them a call lol
Last edited by hottshott206 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:Puyallup River Access Closed

Post by Toni » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:04 pm

We might see more of that is the future.

I know someone on the Carbon who had their house for sale and the County was interested in it for flood control. Since no one has put up any money the county will probably get it. The county already has a property 3 properties down river from them. They have a sign similar to the one you described.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.