Casting rod salmon/steelhead

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Re: Casting rod salmon/steelhead

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:52 pm

xrodz=overpriced grorified rainshadow..but i do want one [drool]
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:12 pm

Bodofish wrote:
Steelheader112 wrote:It's still steep for a rod. Thats 10 ssts and I've had my SSTS for 3 years... If you do the math thats 30 years worth of rods if you break one every 3 years. Plus they are durable rods, so if you get 5 years of use out of them thats 50years worth of rods for the price... Why can't made in America be cost effective???
So let me get this right........... Are you saying you wouldn't like an XRodz? Personally given the chance I'd take one over SST in a heart beat. If it's the price, you only live once and if fishing is your passion then $500 is nothing. As the rods I have go down, they will be replaced by Mr. Mercer. As you might surmise, none of the current stock is an SST....

[thumbsup] [thumbsup] There is no justifying an emotional purchase. It comes from desire and lust, boy is it a wonderful thing. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Xrodz are sweet. Any of the high end rods are better than the SST. But I'll roll with a celilo or an SST when I'm bucking brush or fishing with clients. Or pulling hawgs in. But when it comes down to pure and simple emjoyment of having the best tool for the job, go with the custom. When I'm working in the shop, building cabinets, or boats or whatever I'm doing, I could cut my lumber with a hand saw. I could use the manual jigsaw for the facework, my hand drill to put the pieces together and my craftsmen 4-in-1 to manually put the screws in. But when I want to get down to business I'd rather use my table saw, jig saw electric sander makita and build something. I;ve got no problem driving around my 90's toyota, but I'd rather be driving my Lincoln with 1000 watts in the back, sporting leather, heated seats 4 subs and pioneer deck with rims and a beefy v-12 to match. I've got no problem running Crysis on my wife pink laptop, lag and poor fram rates come with the territory, but when I really want to compute I run six cores, 8 gbs v-ram 16g at 4 mhz. I can shop up a mean photo in MS Paint, but if I want to have fun I break out CS5.

My point is, whatever your passion, you put down the big bucks for the sweetest ride. You fish one of these babies and you'll be hooked. Even if you're just fishing a stock GL3, it'll beat the pants off an Okuma. Add a custom fit and dedicated service to it and it's the perfect tool for the job.

Steelheader112
Petty Officer

Post by Steelheader112 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:10 pm

Wow this has degraded into a "mine is better than yours" thread. I'm going to sit here and watch the thread fold out..... keep on going guys.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:16 pm

Kockmandoo wrote:heavy action 10 ft 15-40lb test rated?????? ewwwwwwww. thats heavier than my downrigger rods.
^^^^ Agreed....

Those are meat sticks... Only necessary if you plan on dragging boot chum in backwards after snagging them.....

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:31 pm

A9 wrote:
Kockmandoo wrote:heavy action 10 ft 15-40lb test rated?????? ewwwwwwww. thats heavier than my downrigger rods.
^^^^ Agreed....

Those are meat sticks... Only necessary if you plan on dragging boot chum in backwards after snagging them.....
i had one of those they're great for surf fishing..oh and fishing da puy, skok and tilten rivers works awesome =D>
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:47 am

You guys are funny. My best steelheading and salmon years were done on Eagle Claw Rods with Mitchell 300's. Total package around 50 bucks. I caught as many fish as Freak does now. In my opinion its not the price tag on the gear that makes it a good rod,Its knowing where the fish are and catching them. I bust up laughing watching people spend 500 on a rod to impress their friends. LOL Hahaha.. Sorry but its not the gear that makes a good fisherperson. Its the person who finds the fish. The fish dont know what gear youre using . If you buy a expensive rod make sure it fits in your New Hummer or Porsche.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:34 am

And the same could be said for food. It's all in what you like. A Safeway steak provides the same protien as a one from Dan the butcher but the difference is a world of taste, no matter who is cooking it.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Bodofish wrote:And the same could be said for food. It's all in what you like. A Safeway steak provides the same protien as a one from Dan the butcher but the difference is a world of taste, no matter who is cooking it.
safeway ranchers reserve is great steak and a great value..beef its whats for dinner =D>
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:06 pm

slayerslayerthat wrote:
Bodofish wrote:And the same could be said for food. It's all in what you like. A Safeway steak provides the same protien as a one from Dan the butcher but the difference is a world of taste, no matter who is cooking it.
safeway ranchers reserve is great steak and a great value..beef its whats for dinner =D>
Beef may be whats for dinner but :-& Ranchers Reserve :-& is far from what I would call great. Injected with a large amount of water and who knows what else (tenderizers and sodium nitride for starts) makes them extremely unpredictable to cook. I'll stick with a real cut of dry aged meat when I want a steak.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:16 pm

racfish that is definitely true. No one cares how nice your rod is unless you catch alot of fish with it. I will say though, that once you get above 200$ on a rod, its gonna be 100% graphite versus graphite composite, which I believe is better, but the difference between a 200$ rod and a 500$ sage or xrod or whatever is marginal. I dont know how much people on this site fish for trout but me and FF's favorite trout rods and i am honestly convinced they are the best rod for the money are the fenwick eagle gt spinning rods. 2-8lb test rated are awesome. and they're only 60 bucks.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:56 pm

The ride on a custom is a different experience. I'm not talking trash about high end big name rods. But yea, I'll throw down some cash on that extra edge. Does my Loomis or Sage make me a better fishermen? Absolutely not. Do I need 'em? No. But do they make a sweet rod that just exudes perfection? It is a tool, and when you use something that has been engineered and hand tailored to your particular task, it makes a difference. There's not that much difference between usda choice and prime, but it's that difference that makes that prime cut rib eye the best beef. There is no class warfare here, we don't need the fancy rod. But there is no reason to jump the gun on people that demand perfection at any cost.

And Kockman, those fenwicks are pretty sweet rods. I have two of 'em and I take 'em on the trail, which I like so I don't have to worry about busting my expensive ones. The 7 foot 2-4 is my favorite.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:14 pm

Right on Nate, the main thing is they make you feel good and it makes your fishing experience more enjoyable.

No one ever bought a Ferrari or a Lambo because it was a good deal or the money made sence.

Steelheader112
Petty Officer

Post by Steelheader112 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:57 pm

I will say there are very few times that I have had a memorable fishing trip and every time I think of it the words.... "Man that rod was sweet." don't come to mind...

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:08 pm

First off let me say I'm sorry you haven't had many memorable fishing trips. It must be quite a burden having to go out. I must say nearly all of my fishing trips are quite enjoyable and memorable in one way or another, I guess that's why I keep doing it.

I hereby give up. I guess it's just one of those things you can't explain, my deepest sympathies to those that can’t understand the finer things in life.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:03 am

Here is my two cents on this subject...I recently purchased a xrodz at the sportsman show I been wanting one for a while, first met jim of xrodz at a PSA meeting 2 years ago after holding them and listening to the quality and workmanship that goes into these babies I had to have one. Mine is currently being built and tomorrow I should find out the eta when I take procession.

For those you are wondering why I would buy such an expensive rod here is my answer. Rotatory cuff surgery put a spanner in the works of my river fishing a few years ago, :-({|= shoulder was/is always sore with repetitive motions, so I figured the lightness of these rod would help. :cheers: And I will let you know if it was worth it or not. I also paired it up with a quantum exo pt spinners. Will review the reel too.
Also as mentioned above the finer things in life are different for everyone I happen to enjoy holding a superb piece of equipment when doing tasks :salut: . My favorite mack rod is a 13 dollar master troller that's is fiberglass and is simply fantastic but don't get me wrong I believe it is an extravagance paying that much for a rod but if ya earn it ya deserve it :cheers:

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:09 am

slayerslayerthat wrote:
A9 wrote:
^^^^ Agreed....

i had one of those they're great for surf fishing..oh and fishing da puy, skok and tilten rivers works awesome =D>
The original poster identified his application for the rod he's considering, which was drifting eggs, corkies and yarn if I remember correct. Sensitivity = important, a heavy action rod rated for those line ratings is way overkill.

Steelheader112
Petty Officer

Post by Steelheader112 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:12 pm

Bodofish wrote:First off let me say I'm sorry you haven't had many memorable fishing trips. It must be quite a burden having to go out. I must say nearly all of my fishing trips are quite enjoyable and memorable in one way or another, I guess that's why I keep doing it.

I hereby give up. I guess it's just one of those things you can't explain, my deepest sympathies to those that can’t understand the finer things in life.
In my post I was tired and had a tough couple days. I misplaced a few words. What I meant was, When I have a memorable day of fishing I don't think there has ever been a time when I remember it and think to myself "Man that rod was sweet." I do enjoy the finer things in life, like the mist rising from the river on an early fall morning or the color of the perfect steelhead run.... those are the finer things in life to this fisherman. I like quality rods, I will say though they aren't the reason that I love to fish, my original post was drawing a contrast between the fact that one can purchase a decent rod for 1/5 of the price of others and it will do the same thing.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:16 pm

Hey man, fair enough. After a day on the water I normally add to all that, wow I don't hurt in those places I used to. Must be the rod and reel.... :)