Steelhead Reports and Pics 2012-2013

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Re: Steelhead Reports and Pics 2012-2013

Post by racfish » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:07 am

Lets face it. Until they stop the commercial harvesting of fish nothing we do will increase the fish. On poor return years the gillnetting is slowed way down. When the runs are huge they will net 7 days a week. The sportsman really gets hurt one way or the others. The gillnetters make out like bandits. We buy and pay for the hatcheries so we can produce more fish for the netters.I drove over the Duwamish yesterday to see barages of nets. It really makes me sick.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:23 am

racfish wrote:Lets face it. Until they stop the commercial harvesting of fish nothing we do will increase the fish. On poor return years the gillnetting is slowed way down. When the runs are huge they will net 7 days a week. The sportsman really gets hurt one way or the others. The gillnetters make out like bandits. We buy and pay for the hatcheries so we can produce more fish for the netters.I drove over the Duwamish yesterday to see barages of nets. It really makes me sick.
In a nutshell there Rac.

djp9018
Angler

Post by djp9018 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:50 am

I am fairly new to fishing, started a couple years ago but I haven't put in as much time as I would like. 186 steelhead in one year just sounds absolutely ridiculous, I would like to just be able to catch a few this year (never have caught a steelhead) Tips on catching Steelhead will definitely be reviewed and put to the text.

Thanks guys, GOOD LUCK TO ALL THIS STEELY SEASON!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:36 pm

djp9018 wrote:I am fairly new to fishing, started a couple years ago but I haven't put in as much time as I would like. 186 steelhead in one year just sounds absolutely ridiculous, I would like to just be able to catch a few this year (never have caught a steelhead) Tips on catching Steelhead will definitely be reviewed and put to the text.

Thanks guys, GOOD LUCK TO ALL THIS STEELY SEASON!
Good luck to you! Steelhead are an amazing fish, hope you do well
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:44 pm

maybe the cascade fish are there but have a severe case of lock jaw...no way can the run not be here cause any later they will be with the nates, I heard they are already catching nates down in rockport and concrete, but small ones, maybe it is 200k of UNclipped smolts... [scared]
naw [-o<

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:48 pm

None of us get many fish when the notorious" Fishingfreak" is on the loose. Hes a one man gillnet.When I see him or his rig I just turn around and go somewhere else. Hahaha. [razz]

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:53 pm

why it means the fish are in, so you stand right next to him, tangle his gear so you get a good look at it or to slow him down, either that cast in front of his bobber so the fish in his secret little slots will hit your rig first... :-$

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:57 pm

You have to team up. One person tangles his gear so you can see what he is fishing with. The other person fishes just ahead of his spot. FISH ON!!! :cheers:
Tom.

Interests: living

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:16 pm

That just might be crazy enough to work, or maybe the fish are just waiting for my secret cure... Hahaha funny cause i just use borax... Teehee! Oh by the way brat i have 3 seperate areas where i see fish with polarized glasses in cascade when the fish are in i can see dozens. Yesterday i saw one between all 3 spots, last year i saw 50 between them on a normal day

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:18 pm

Guess who got skunked on the Calawah! this guy! guess there is a first time for everything.... im just gonna walk the dungy tomorrow and see what i can pick up.

And F.F. will come into a hole that has no fish in it at all, and they will swim from the next hole down to hit his gear.... swear to god

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Steelheadin360 wrote:Guess who got skunked on the Calawah! this guy! guess there is a first time for everything.... im just gonna walk the dungy tomorrow and see what i can pick up.

And F.F. will come into a hole that has no fish in it at all, and they will swim from the next hole down to hit his gear.... swear to god
dude do you relize they didn't even stock the calawah, only the bogy, a little slow again man. Dungy might be good.

That is crazy that you guys can actually spot the steelhead with dem polaroids, I always thought they hide in the rocks and stuff.
You could also take his spot when he is fighting a fish. jk I am normally not a dick when fishing...normally, unless it come to salmon fishing on the quilcene, me and my friends get creative haha.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:37 pm

Steelheadin360 wrote:Guess who got skunked on the Calawah! this guy! guess there is a first time for everything.... im just gonna walk the dungy tomorrow and see what i can pick up.

Same here! I went to the coast with nate and we caught none in an amazing river. We had to salvage the day at the hump hatchery... WHERE ARE ALL THE STEEL???

And haha yea ive done that quite few times steelheadin360, 2 things about steelhead fishing. Knowing where they are in a given piece of water and presenting the right thing correctly. There could be 1000 fish but if ur gear is presented wrong ur skunked. Same with if your fishing fishless water... More you fish the more you learn

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:09 pm

Ok Danny theres a conspiracy running a foot. Youre in trouble now. LOL. I never thought about casting over his gear. Great ideas. Let me find my Mepps and Vibrexes. Maybe I'll play some older Rolling Stones music too.
In todays times Mark made mention of the Cascade and how hot its been. Im sure it will be packed.
Freak Im messing with ya. Nothing serious. Good Luck..

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:56 pm

Bingo again FF presentation is key, also plays along with knowing where the fish are. I relised that the steelhead are in the same spots as the coho are on the skagit system and cascade, only prob is that I do not fish on the hatchery side of the river for coho...

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:03 pm

racfish wrote:Ok Danny theres a conspiracy running a foot. Youre in trouble now. LOL. I never thought about casting over his gear. Great ideas. Let me find my Mepps and Vibrexes. Maybe I'll play some older Rolling Stones music too.
In todays times Mark made mention of the Cascade and how hot its been. Im sure it will be packed.
I'm a bass fisherman, I can get tangled up with anybody. [laugh] Now we just need someone else who can acually catch the river fish. [biggrin]
Tom.

Interests: living

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:05 pm

racfish wrote:Ok Danny theres a conspiracy running a foot. Youre in trouble now. LOL. I never thought about casting over his gear. Great ideas. Let me find my Mepps and Vibrexes. Maybe I'll play some older Rolling Stones music too.
you could also use 100lb braid and cut is stuff while his gear is in the water then cast for his stuff, reel it in and put it on your rod. But casting infront of his bobber is always good or atleast on the side of it. Another good one is to bring your dogs down to the river and have them eat all his eggs or start picking them up and bringing them to you.
One of my pups went over to someones pink worm container and literally picked up some and started to bring them over to me until the dud saw him and my pup dropped them I though that was pretty funny.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:42 pm

The number are usually good if we get a return of 1% brood stock programs in Oregon get 5%. That's five times better than our current system. If anything, we need to do something about our gene pool for our hatchery stock, because that's a whole lot of fish that we're not getting. What would you propose we do about the situation Metal?

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:50 pm

Idk about the hatchery only needing 50 pairs but the vedder definitely recieves that many hatchery fish. you also have to remember that each year consists of several smolts from every year. the big 12-20lb fish are anywhere from 3 to 5 salt fish. Plus the smaller 2 salt fish. That constitutes parts of 4 years of stocking. lets say 30% of a year are 2 salt fish, 5-8lb fish, 50 percent of a year are 8-12lb 3 salt fish. another 30% of a year are 4 salts and a small percentage are big 15+ five salters. also remember that fish that weren't caught previous years can make up some of the next year or two if they made it out and back. It's hard to say but there's no lying on 120,000 smolts planted and a return of 6000 fish each year. The wild run is anywhere from 8000 to 12000 fish showing that the broodstock program has little effect on the natives.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:33 am

Brat Bonker wrote:dude do you relize they didn't even stock the calawah, only the bogy, a little slow again man. Dungy might be good.
i wasnt after hatchery brats :) and if they dont stock the river why is there a three fish hatchery limit.... still a little early for the big nates though. and ive never floated the bogie so i was nervous about it. ifi get skunked today im going into full fish killing mode... plunking time..

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:02 am

Steelheadin360 wrote:
Brat Bonker wrote:dude do you relize they didn't even stock the calawah, only the bogy, a little slow again man. Dungy might be good.
i wasnt after hatchery brats :) and if they dont stock the river why is there a three fish hatchery limit.... still a little early for the big nates though. and ive never floated the bogie so i was nervous about it. ifi get skunked today im going into full fish killing mode... plunking time..
a limit for the stray bogy fish or the old summer runs that are still in there. Not too many nates in there right now.