Puyallup river new anglers!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
catfish85
Angler

RE:Puyallup river new anglers!

Post by catfish85 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:33 am

Well, I know the feeling. I have been salmon fishing for about 2 weeks. I have only caught 3 fish and i've been on the puyallup river. The best way to learn is to strike up a conversation with someone that is fishing down there and ask them to give you some tips. Thats the way I learned. MOST people are pretty cool about it and are glad to share their tips and tricks with a new angler. As for me I can tell you that I have caught my 3 pink salmon on a small orange corky and pink yarn. I use a 5 foot leader and a small egg weight attached to the leader with a snap swivel. Just cast out and let the bait bounce along the bottom following the current. Trust me you'll know when you got a fish on. Waiders are deffinetly recommended so you can get further out into the river without getting soaked cause thats just a cold ride home! Best of luck to you and you'll get one just stay determined and have plenty of patience.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:00 pm

Thanks Jens. I read from a different website that the net diameter is 7 inches. That should let the pinks swin through while catching the kings and silvers. My first trip down the Puke was good and I limited out.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

Ronz
Angler

Post by Ronz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:55 pm

My in-laws are in town and they are very excited about hooking into their first salmon. (I am too) I've read a lot about the Puyallup producing good numbers, especially the pinks. Living in Kitsap County I hardly know my way around that part of the sound. Can anyone send me a PM with a good spot on the Puyallup for a rookie river angler? Thanks!