February Steelhead

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
crankbait42
Commander

RE:February Steelhead

Post by crankbait42 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:19 pm

Is there much for bank fishing on the sauk?

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:25 pm

Remote hiking A 1 beauty mothernature but takes months to find the correct dirt roads and holes up high and you better be packing the defendor as well and not for the Bears:-$
Deliverence Part 2 will soon be filmed there soon!:colors: :clown: :brilsmurf :batman:
The road stuff just loose rock and steep in places but many great banks spots and seams
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:51 pm

I got derby winner in 2002:cheers: for the Dolly Polly slimer:colors: on the Sauk fishing metal.

Just over 6lbs not bad for a dolly but have landed them much bigger dollies on her

Curado caught a slimer/dolly days ago as well:cheers: on his new hand built custom Loomis rod looking for metal :eye:
Attachments
AAAAAAABBBBCCCXXXXXXXXX!.jpg
AAAAAAABBBBCCCXXXXXXXXX!.jpg (45.17 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:57 pm

Are there any easily accessed areas that are productive or at least areas that are not too hard to find?

thanks.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:06 pm

Dude like most get a map, google the Sauk you will find a few miles easy acess heading to the Skagit along the main road the other most productive = weeks to find like we did driving into one way remote dirt roads and hiking all over the place .

I belive the word Earn it:cheers: and you cannot on a PC find these spots:-$

In the town of Darrington 4 way stop most take a left to seek her take a right you will go into what looks like a rainforest after many miles follow the road for miles then a dirt road to the left 20 holes along that road and better have a 4x4 and firepower as well:cyclopsan

Lets just say the locals still use hounds/banned on game and man:colors: :bigsmurf: :eye: :cheers:

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:27 pm

Thanks for the info Swedefishforlife.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:34 pm

If I could give you more I would the prime rib stuff is drifter/boat or remote but the hole I gave Curado had given me many steelhead at the confuence hole of the Tribe river and the Sauk and you can drive to this one and many after that down river as well:-$ :-#

From the bridge down you can see in the picture= A 1 candy for metal and you can reach this:-$

Just inside that large boulder always has a pig nate:chef: :cyclopsan

Better low and tight but these waters colors for fish about fish
Attachments
BBFDSA.jpg
BBFDSA.jpg (147.75 KiB) Viewed 2477 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:31 pm

If you hear banjo music.....RUN!!!!!!!8-[ 8-[
Life's short - fish hard!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:45 pm

what is the best color for dollies. is a bead egg work good.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:40 pm

Yes and they Cream spinners( Vibrax Blue fox= Rainbow Color= single pink gama hook):-$ :cheers: and spoons if you have talent on pitching hardware .
I have hook mass polly Dolly on the Sauk throwing Spinners let it hit the bottom once in a deeper slot, change your speeds coming in they will cream them, single barbless:chef: :cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmokinAces
Petty Officer

Post by SmokinAces » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:22 pm

for dollys, lets see.... egg patterns, egg patterns, egg patterns, beads, egg patterns, beads....did I forget to mention egg patterns?
Pressin' Fish On!

SmokinAces
Petty Officer

Post by SmokinAces » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:24 pm

forgot to mention that dollies are illegal to target...but the if your fishing for steelies and you happen to run across a dolly here and there, then good for you. Just remember to keep it the fish in the water and release it unharmed.
Pressin' Fish On!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:07 am

you can target dollies. but they have to be 20 inches too keep
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:44 pm

I want to thank from the heart= Big John Cutterman:chef: A natural born Killer of more then fish:cyclopsan :colors:
Pressing a new improved steer heart valve:cheers: and Mccollum the Irish killer we got the Willie drifter up to the Saukster and lets say dumped her off the bank thank God the gear was not in the tub! :colors: LOL and the bottom was covered in Rhino Gaurd that was a drop and splash gone bad! :colors:

This trip was more about years past, perspective and a reborn history of what was a daily game and adventure not a limited outing with 2 great buds.

Only did a few miles of her but zero pressure lots of eagles and 2 deer river side and saw a family of racoons.

Of all my trips and we all now I love pictures:colors: my Dimage Z10 Minolta has never failed me but sporting a numb left hand and arm I dropped her and lets say she was a bit damaged:cyclopsan

I finally got out of the gumbie 5 mm neopremes as well with bad nerve damage in both legs is was like walking on stilts and got the Guide=wader plus waders five layer support units.

Now like wearing a great pair of Levis broken in!:cheers:

John has not fought a Steelhead since I got him on a nice nat buck back in 2002 we were coming off a slower drop back rowing and I was free drifting with the current one of my custom Puffers:chef:

I will not say the color will keep it to PM's:colors: LOL and my GL-3 Loomis 1025 fast action with a Shimno Curado 300DSV did I say Treasure Z 12 lb mainline and 12lb leader:-# fishing combo death:-$

The Rod pumped 2 times and then it buried down I set the hook and slammed it home and I tend to break lots of rods on the hook set!:eye: LOL

Well we took about a 400 hundred yards downriver drift with plenty of Swedish French and worse:colors: :clown: this buck had some shoulders and he nearly spooled me making it out into the harder waters ( shame on me)

Finally reaching a softer hole I said ok boys Right here:-$SHOWTIME
We fight and win or loose him HERE not one more inch of Ground we give him!

After about which seemed like a hour/more like 20 or 25 minutes I still get amped up a bit :bounce:

I handed my Rod to John and said he is yours you earned it and survived near death and came back a stud at 56 and he is a biggen baby boy.

He listen to all and we slid him into my new catch and release net the banks were too steep to do a river release correctly.

I taped him 37.8 inches in length :cheers:
I did not do the girth do to the time spent fighting him and latic acid builds fast and can hurt these great fish and I worked him for minutes before he busted back up and in to make his spawning grounds and yes we did get 2 cell phone pictures as well and do to my personal health he is off to my Taxi guy in Glass the picture not the fish:cheers:

Far from my best metal ever but do to being and sharing with what I loved with 2 great buds it ranks up high and will be proudly be hanging in the Swedebat cave with his brothers.

Then passed on to John when my game closes.

Some of it was not pretty but we got her done and it was a group effort not one guy doing all.
He was at least 22lbs I think more but I am greedy:chef: :cheers:

Oh did I say pm???? lol
((Orange puffer ball= tipped with pink on a number 4 pink gama)):-$ :-# :cheers:
Was the dinner plate served = 2 plus miles downriver from the bridge.

God Bless John God bless Mccollum and God bless God:-$ :cheers:
He knew the perfect storm was still in me and the other 2 helped make it happen!

This Reflexion this fish I will never forget and yes it was only 1 fish in the entire drift but oh What a fish it was:cyclopsan

Grab a buds toon, drift boat if you have talent on the sticks there are pigs in her and for the few not the many she will share a gift or 2 as well to those who's passions match there work=benches from doing! :-$ :-&

Tight Lines fish on and yes I need a new high end camera/fast processor and large Pixils soon!!!

Picture coming soon :chef:

Hey Race= fish lets share or compare it was not 6 or 9 fish but I will take a 20 plus lber there getting leaner each and every season we are all blessed:dwarf:

Another Great process and offering if your in a toon or drift boat touch all the longer harder water tailouts pushing plugs:-$ :-# single barbless this alone will create many many more fish if you can back row and work plugs correctly

1. Blue Pirate
2.Blue Pirate lol

Fish on!

Oh and we did not see a single Zombie and bad :colors: :cyclopsan Banjo player
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:05 pm

i got to hit it again and land me a pig. my best still stands at 9lbs

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:09 pm

Do I dare take the time and make a trip down to the Sauk on Sunday? Or should I hold out for a couple weeks? My fishing days have become few and far between.
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:12 pm

Grab a buddy or 2:-$ :-# and Drifter and hit her!!!:cyclopsan

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:38 pm

Wish I had a tub. I got a nice pair or wading shoes for christmas though :)
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:00 pm

hoof it thats all i do an i find the fish

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:25 pm

Curado so far guppies only:-$ :cheers: lol
Were waiting on the Fish ON FISH!:chef: :bounce:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.