Snohomish river?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Snohomish river?

Post by Bodofish » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:58 am

Seattlesin wrote:Fairly new to the snohomish river. I was hoping to get my boat out by 522 tomorrow morning. I have a 17' Fiberglas glasply, currently putting around with my 18hp evinrude. My main outboard failed on me this summer, I've been slowly getting by with this while repairing. Considering I'm very undersized, it's difficult to launch and retrieve from ramps without a dock. Can I get to 522 if I launch from Lowell-rotary? I know it's a trek, but I don't know how shallow that sand bar gets or if it's even passable. Is the sky high bridge a better option? Any info is greatly appreciated!
In a word, NO. Even if you have a jet boat it can be dicey. I've seen guys up above the island with props but I'm sure they got there at extreme high tide and came back on the same. The west side of the island is studded with old piling just below the surface, they can rip an out drive right out of the stern and break the lower unit off an outboard. Not to mention crack a glass hull. The stretch above the island has big stove sized rocks, then you move into a shallow log garden. Just no.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

riverhunter
Commander

Re: Snohomish river?

Post by riverhunter » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:14 am

Bodofish wrote:
Seattlesin wrote:Fairly new to the snohomish river. I was hoping to get my boat out by 522 tomorrow morning. I have a 17' Fiberglas glasply, currently putting around with my 18hp evinrude. My main outboard failed on me this summer, I've been slowly getting by with this while repairing. Considering I'm very undersized, it's difficult to launch and retrieve from ramps without a dock. Can I get to 522 if I launch from Lowell-rotary? I know it's a trek, but I don't know how shallow that sand bar gets or if it's even passable. Is the sky high bridge a better option? Any info is greatly appreciated!
In a word, NO. Even if you have a jet boat it can be dicey. I've seen guys up above the island with props but I'm sure they got there at extreme high tide and came back on the same. The west side of the island is studded with old piling just below the surface, they can rip an out drive right out of the stern and break the lower unit off an outboard. Not to mention crack a glass hull. The stretch above the island has big stove sized rocks, then you move into a shallow log garden. Just no.
Quite frankly if you're not familiar with the river I will have to agree with bodofish and just save yourself the hassle!