Lamiglass vs Fetha Styx

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
DannyL
Captain

Re: Lamiglass vs Fetha Styx

Post by DannyL » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:33 am

How much did you fork out for the chrome?
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:41 am

Also, I like spinning reels. I've had bait casters but prefer spinning. If I went with a fetha Styx what would pair best with it? I can get the fetha Styx chrome on sale at holiday sports for 120$ then a nice 80$ reel

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:27 pm

DannyL wrote:How much did you fork out for the chrome?
There is a daily deal site called mandeals.com . They post a daily deal kind of like Groupon. I got it for half price ($100), through that deal.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:43 pm

I have a Pfleuger President. $60 and I love it. Super smooth and has been very dependable for me.

Another one of my reels that I really like is my Okuma RTX 35-S. About $80.

But out of the two, I would go with the Pfleuger. Smoother and $20 less.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:45 pm

I was looking at the shimanu Sedona. Has anyone used this reel?

rcthepirate
Lieutenant

Post by rcthepirate » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:57 pm

The shimano sedonas are okay reels, and quite frankly you can't really go wrong with any of the shimano reels in the $30-$70 range. They aren't great reels but they are reliable and will perform just fine for you. Once you get into the sahara which runs right around $80-$90 the quality improves noticeably, but unfortunately the new saharas no longer come with a machined handle like the old ones did. If I was going to buy a shimano spinning reel though I would save your $ a bit and get a symetre. They are sort of the standard when it comes to shimano's line of spinning reels, and I personally think they are a killer value at $110. In addition to being ultra-smooth and reasonably light, you get the top-notch customer service that comes along with shimano products. The only real issue I see with any of the shimano spinning reels is that the bails don't trip quite as easily as I would like.

But to answer your original question, I would say that the sedonas are probably one of the better values in a spinning reel under $100. I would venture to say they certainly are in shimano's lineup, but then again they have the sienna which is only $30 and is actually a very fishable reel for the money.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:15 pm

I have the sienna on my fennewick actually haha

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:25 pm

take a look at the Penn Battle. It is light, awesome drag and well balanced, but my favorite aspect of the reel is the space between my knuckles and the bail. several Shimanos crack my knuckles then Penn does not. With that said, make sure that you put the reel on a rod at the store and see how it feels to you.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:46 pm

Ya I wanna see how the combo feels to me before I buy

rcthepirate
Lieutenant

Post by rcthepirate » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:26 pm

chrome_chasin wrote:take a look at the Penn Battle. It is light, awesome drag and well balanced, but my favorite aspect of the reel is the space between my knuckles and the bail. several Shimanos crack my knuckles then Penn does not. With that said, make sure that you put the reel on a rod at the store and see how it feels to you.
The battle is in my opinion one of the best all around spinning reels out there. The only thing I might disagree with is the claim that it is light, because for its size it is anything but. The battle is all metal, which mean great durability but you also get the extra weight along with it.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:30 am

Went with lamiglas. But will eventually get a fetha Styx. I like both.