steelhead float reel

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: steelhead float reel

Post by Bodofish » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:06 am

I've bought several of these in different sizes for folks that weren't sure if they really wanted to get into fishing. Bottom line is they work pretty darn good and the price is unbeatable. I know there's a lot of people that would poo poo the use of carbon fiber but in many cases it's much stronger and lighter than Al. So these are 3000 size, good for Steel and Ho's and that size, if you are going to hit big Kings I'd go up one to a 4000. Ah, what the heck, you could do both and stay in budget.

Take your pick on these but make sure you understand the shipping policies and time.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... =1&_ipg=50

This one is in the US so shipping will be quick. I have one of these in rear drag and a big one with front drag both work flawlessly.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SZ3000-9-1- ... 337d97cb61

for $45, this is a very nice reel. I haven't had a TICA I didn't like. Approved by Hawg Quest for hauling Hawgs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TICA-CAMRY-3000 ... 1c26b1e8d5
Last edited by Bodofish on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:10 am

PS: After you get settled with a useable reel, start saving your pennies and working the Birthday Christmas angles and by the time you wear out your reel, you'll be in a position to buy a nice one that will last for many, many years to come. Buy once even if it's a bit more expensive and you normally save money in the long run. I've never said, "Darn, I wish I'd bought cheaper one.".
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

ripsomelip
Petty Officer

Post by ripsomelip » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:17 pm

cheap reel that hasnt failed me yet. Ive got 14 summer runs(I, know, for most of you, thats nothin) and it could get you by until you have money for a better one.
Tica Cambria EG 3000. i got 4 of them on a discount deal for 20 bucks ea.I also use an Okuma Safina Sna50.
Im sure Ill get the naysayers....but for a cheaper reel that has givin me workman quality. I havent been too upset. I use spinning reel for float which some dont do, but anyway. there are some out there that wont bust your wallet and will work just fine as far as i can add.
hit it or quit it.

Dan Boone
Lieutenant

Post by Dan Boone » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:03 pm

Thanks to everyone for all the information. This has been very helpful for me.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:50 pm

mitchell 300xe is a good reel but avoid cheapy okumas, they tend to break way to easy.