oh yeah tahuya and dewatto is open on monday!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
outbreed360
Warrant Officer

Re: oh yeah tahuya and dewatto is open on monday!

Post by outbreed360 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:36 pm

BlakeP wrote:
Brat Bonker wrote:idk there are a lto of small slots with logs, probally I fish 101 down. I only saw about 20-25 chromers if that and a lot more darkies, water is super low. Is that slot you are talking about by the claybank with that cable or line in the air cause that is normally where I fish but I just walk down 101 till I start seeing fish.
I don't think so, its a small slot with a big rock wall behind it, above is rapids and below a little is a big ball of roots and two logs next to that. Then further down i fish a deep hole that has a trail behind the bank that i believe goes towards the clay banks.
you know that if you park at 101 you can pretty much hike down to rodgers st and find a bunch of holes. thats what i do. idk.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:39 pm

Once i got to clay banks, the water was too deep to cross to the other side. so thats as far as i can go. Hard to explain the hole i fish, though the big ball of roots is hard to miss. Alot of people walk to the otherside of the logs and walk on the roots and fish under it. Anyway i just fish above that or the next hole below it.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:40 pm

you lost me at rock wall and the house I am taliking about is the one you walk on their drive way to get to the rest of the fishing downstream, I will probally see you out there some time, I am a chubby 17year old fishing with beads and/or eggs, that you who uses the pink pearl corky on gamefishin and rights all the reports on the dungy and bogy?
Inbetween the claybanks and rodgers st we only saw 5 silvers.

outbreed360
Warrant Officer

Post by outbreed360 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:41 pm

schu7498 wrote:I've probably seen ya on the tahuya outbreed ! I've only been fishing it for about 4 years. awesome little river. and some years definitely better than others. last year I saw maybe 100 fish in the river.
maybe, i think i might have seen you on the shallow gauntlet area idk. i llove that river and when it opens ill be there killin :)

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:44 pm

I think I know where you are talking about now is it by the gaunlet area where it is is like 5ft across and a foot deep and you have to cross to get to it?

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:47 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:you lost me at rock wall and the house I am taliking about is the one you walk on their drive way to get to the rest of the fishing downstream, I will probally see you out there some time, I am a chubby 17year old fishing with beads and/or eggs, that you who uses the pink pearl corky on gamefishin and rights all the reports on the dungy and bogy?
Inbetween the claybanks and rodgers st we only saw 5 silvers.
Yup thats me. I love pearl pink corkies. Haha, okay i know what you are talking about. You dont know the root ball ontop of the two logs? Also i always wear a black hat with a blue spider on it. Dark blonde hair. You've probably seen me out there. Its two or three feet deep, and 5 feet across. Don't need to cross to get to it.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:51 pm

yeah I am that Hunter kid that always reports on the quilcene and a few other places. Is it down or upstream of where I am talking about.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:59 pm

Yeah, i figured. Um, i think so. You know when the trail ends and you walk out into a clearing from the narrow part of the trail, river right in front with a big rock in the middle of the rapids, above that the river curves a little and its moving fast. Below is the logs and roots i'm talking about. BIG Wall of rock or something on the other side. the river bank itself has a log across it sticking into the river pointing at the roots. then the bank goes way down and thes a tiny trail, leading to either the trail going towards claybanks, or a steep bank with a kinda deep hole.

outbreed360
Warrant Officer

Post by outbreed360 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:00 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:I think I know where you are talking about now is it by the gaunlet area where it is is like 5ft across and a foot deep and you have to cross to get to it?
that sounds like it.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:28 am

yeah blake is that the place with the cable or wires running over head cause I fish there too a lot. Have you done any good there this year? How do you rig your eggs?

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:46 am

Brat Bonker wrote:yeah blake is that the place with the cable or wires running over head cause I fish there too a lot. Have you done any good there this year? How do you rig your eggs?
I haven't seen any cables or wires..But Probably is the same hole i'm talking about. I've done okay, in 7 trips ive caught 27, keeping 22. I just use a 18 inch leader going from a snap swivel with tubing and a small piece of pencil lead, a size 1 black gammie, put a small cluster of eggs in the bait loop and put a red bead above the hook. Standard drift setup pretty much. I've been having trouble getting them to bite eggs the last few times i've gone though. They seem to attack purple yarn still though.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:13 am

BlakeP wrote:
Brat Bonker wrote:yeah blake is that the place with the cable or wires running over head cause I fish there too a lot. Have you done any good there this year? How do you rig your eggs?
I haven't seen any cables or wires..But Probably is the same hole i'm talking about. I've done okay, in 7 trips ive caught 27, keeping 22. I just use a 18 inch leader going from a snap swivel with tubing and a small piece of pencil lead, a size 1 black gammie, put a small cluster of eggs in the bait loop and put a red bead above the hook. Standard drift setup pretty much. I've been having trouble getting them to bite eggs the last few times i've gone though. They seem to attack purple yarn still though.
yeah that is exactly what I use except with a 24inch leader. They seem to like just the bead to with some black yarn and even with no yarn, done really good with that set up when they are spooked. you rig the yarn the same way, try those pink corkies in size 14 with a little strand of yarn or a #12 with no yarn those fish love pink.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:10 am

Brat Bonker wrote:
BlakeP wrote:
yeah that is exactly what I use except with a 24inch leader. They seem to like just the bead to with some black yarn and even with no yarn, done really good with that set up when they are spooked. you rig the yarn the same way, try those pink corkies in size 14 with a little strand of yarn or a #12 with no yarn those fish love pink.
Yeah, i sometimes use black yarn. Never tried corkies on the quil though.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:02 pm

yeah they work pretty good and last year I do not know if you went there but the claybanks was a lot deeper and there was not a tree down the middle maiking it the best spinner hole ever, hooked so many in that hole on my home mades.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:53 pm

I was out there last year, but it took me a while to learn the river and how to fish it. Only hooked 7 last year. Heard that the claybanks was a much better hole last year, never went that far though.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 pm

really good hole I would hook 7 in 7 cast no joke they would just stack up in there in a horse shoe shape and wait and then every day at 1-2pm about 20 would shoot up. I only punched 16 from there last year but I probally hooked 100 like this year. I have been fishing the quil since I was 8 and the dewatto since I was 6 so I know these rivers like the back of my hand haha.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:05 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:really good hole I would hook 7 in 7 cast no joke they would just stack up in there in a horse shoe shape and wait and then every day at 1-2pm about 20 would shoot up. I only punched 16 from there last year but I probally hooked 100 like this year. I have been fishing the quil since I was 8 and the dewatto since I was 6 so I know these rivers like the back of my hand haha.
Wow, wish i had known about that last year. I only punched 2 on the quil last year. Haha thats how i am about the dungy, been fishing out there since i was 6.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:19 pm

yeah i fish the dungy a couple time before and have only kept 1 silver and only hooked 5. The hatchery already has a ton of fish in it on opening day every year so unless there is a drought like this year the fish just shoot up but you probally know the river far better than I do since you live near it. Nice little river should have more steelhead coming back this year with another 5000 planted in it, might give it a try if I head to forks, do any good on the steelhead on it?

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:27 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:yeah i fish the dungy a couple time before and have only kept 1 silver and only hooked 5. The hatchery already has a ton of fish in it on opening day every year so unless there is a drought like this year the fish just shoot up but you probally know the river far better than I do since you live near it. Nice little river should have more steelhead coming back this year with another 5000 planted in it, might give it a try if I head to forks, do any good on the steelhead on it?
Sort of. PM me and i could tell ya a few things about the steelhead if you want me to.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:28 pm

alright sounds good [thumbup]