what rivers are hot or getting good catches?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
driftercn83
Petty Officer

what rivers are hot or getting good catches?

Post by driftercn83 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:56 pm

what rivers are producing right now what been good the past week or even the past few days?
An old man once told me that if you stick a worm on a hook drop it over the bank you can feed your self for life. I tried it modified it and geez I am beating them off with a broom now.

" Talking about the way it used to be. Skittley dit dat dow doo day. we used to pull Stripers out of san pablo bay. now the delta waters go down so cal and the stripers faded away.." (Primus)

mallard83
Commodore

RE:what rivers are hot or getting good catches?

Post by mallard83 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:17 pm

Not much of anything going right now, been pretty slow for most every river, even the guides having trouble at the moment. Kind of still between the hatchery run and the nates. I would wait until the end of Feb. or early march and then start hitting the peninsula rivers.

JA
Angler

Post by JA » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:38 pm

Is there any use in trying the Puyallup, Snoqualmie or Tokul creek? I am new to the area and have only fished the Green. I am looking to do some fishing on Sat. and would be willing to drive within 45min from Federal Way. Any advice, Thanks

medic1
Petty Officer

Post by medic1 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:46 pm

The Columbia

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:01 pm

Snoqualmie should have a decent nate run. The puyallup is worthless this winter. The places on the coast is where its at. Wynoochie, bogy, cowlitz should be heating up again. The hoh is a good one. Any river directly connected with the pacific is gonna produce a good nate run. Sound tributaries not so good this year.
More fish please!

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:18 pm

I'm going to the Nooch tomorrow, I'll report back with how it goes.

driftercn83
Petty Officer

Post by driftercn83 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:25 pm

the nooch has been what I have been hearing
An old man once told me that if you stick a worm on a hook drop it over the bank you can feed your self for life. I tried it modified it and geez I am beating them off with a broom now.

" Talking about the way it used to be. Skittley dit dat dow doo day. we used to pull Stripers out of san pablo bay. now the delta waters go down so cal and the stripers faded away.." (Primus)

chum77
Petty Officer

Post by chum77 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:36 pm

look on the wdfw website and look at the steelhead smolt releases from a few years and go off by that instead of using hear say from people, thats prolly one of the best ways of going about this, little research goes a long way ;)

Fish On :Chum77

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:43 pm

If ya wait for reports, your usually a step or two late...

Pound them as they get into good shape after some rain....

JA
Angler

Post by JA » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:12 pm

Thanks everyone for advice. Also... Forgive me Im on a hugh learning curve. I am trying to learn about river water flow and when a river is fishable. Any newbee advice? One more thing... I read a post earlier this week, which I cant find now, that said someone was catching small trout on the White River. Anybody know of anything?

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:55 pm

[quote="chum77"]look on the wdfw website and look at the steelhead smolt releases from a few years and go off by that instead of using hear say from people, thats prolly one of the best ways of going about this, little research goes a long way ]

agreed, but the Hoh and the bogie are both getting a nates in them now. The hoh is a little stronger run right now but give it a week or so and the bogie should be hitting good as well.

Maybe i will see you out there.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:18 pm

I had great luck on the nooch, but I saw lots of other people, and only one other person said they caught anything.
Lee

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Went today to the Nooch, only ended up fishing for about 2 hours. The dad and his friend put me on a wild goose chase, lol they ended up scouting the area for hunting spots for awhile. But yeah my dad's friend had a hook up but lost it when he was trying to bring it in. I asked one of the drift boats how many they had while they were drifting by me and said they caught 3. Saw a few fish jumping too, I'd go there now if you can, the water's perfect. We were fishing the bar over on the Old Nooch Road where they pick up their drift boats.

code3daddy
Petty Officer

Post by code3daddy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:56 pm

Does anyone know where on the Wynoochee a bank fisherman can get his fix?

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:03 am

There's bank access at the Old Wynoochee Road, I think it is. Also I think there's bank access over by the 7400 bridge, they don't really have a sign for that though, that's where we were going to fish at first but then we got mixed up on what road the 7400 bridge road was at then just decided to keep going down to the Old Wynoochee Road bank access. Also across the river from the Old Wynoochee Road, there's a way to get down to the other side of the river but we've never fished over on that side. If you feel like just sitting at your truck or car, they plunk over on that side, you just have to find the way to get over there, I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard if you have a GPS with you.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slick_Rick
Petty Officer

Post by Slick_Rick » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:50 pm

Blue creek starting to pick up! I'm heading back out tomorrow! Don't know what time though!
"If your not fishing your not catching"

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:57 am

The Wenatchee River has been good to me lately. Went out a couple days last week fished a total of two hours and had two monster steelheads on then spit the hook. The only issue with the Wenatchee is that its closing tomorrow :(
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate