bouncing jigs for steelhead?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
driftercn83
Petty Officer

bouncing jigs for steelhead?

Post by driftercn83 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:26 am

A few years back I was working at a hatchery and my hatchery co manager who was a big bass circut fisherman also fished for steelhead told me about a tech thats half way between a tech used for bass and half way between drifting for steelhead but used to catch steelhead. using a larger bass style jig head then using either plastics ment for steelhead or curly tail grubs casting them to the far shore and drifting it while jigging it letting it bouce off structure and the bottom any one have any idea of this tech ?
An old man once told me that if you stick a worm on a hook drop it over the bank you can feed your self for life. I tried it modified it and geez I am beating them off with a broom now.

" Talking about the way it used to be. Skittley dit dat dow doo day. we used to pull Stripers out of san pablo bay. now the delta waters go down so cal and the stripers faded away.." (Primus)

mallard83
Commodore

RE:bouncing jigs for steelhead?

Post by mallard83 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:42 pm

You'll spend more time re-tieing than fishing. Not a very productive time. Besides that generally steelhead are not extremelly aggresive. I am not saying they won't chase down a jig fished in the manner you described, but generally they won't.